Hurt my knee

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
Tonight I was playing basketball in my work rec league and my knee popped. I immediately went down to one knee and the ref called an injury time out at a dead ball. I tried to stand up but couldn't. I can't even straighten it. I had to call my cousin to come take me and my 4 yo son home. I cannot put any pressure on what so ever. I elected not to go to have it checked out until tomorrow. Im icing it and taking ibuprofen til then, but all I can think about is that my Colorado archery deer hunt my be in jeopardy. I am pretty much a lock to draw. I hope it's not a tear.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When I tore my ACL, and left and right meniscus I was really surprised on the turnaround I got out of it. I was doing Physical Therapy before I even went under the knife, and did 13 weeks of training to get released.

All that to say, if you get it addressed quick, you might still be able to be in decent enough shape to get your hunt in. The brace was a part of life for about 18 months, but it was worth it in the end to get it addressed. By the end of my 13 weeks I was back up to 2 mile jogs. Surgery was in February, and I was elk hunting by October. It's possible.

• Banned
OP
R

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
I can only hope right now. My hunt is a backpack hunt above timber. When I went two years ago it was tough enough at 100%. I came home after missing a great buck and I've dreaming about getting back ever since. I didnt draw last year. It might be a hard sell to the wife. I have a friend who put in with me and he has never been to the area so he was relying on me to show him the area.

a3dhunter

WKR
I can only hope right now. My hunt is a backpack hunt above timber. When I went two years ago it was tough enough at 100%. I came home after missing a great buck and I've dreaming about getting back ever since. I didnt draw last year. It might be a hard sell to the wife. I have a friend who put in with me and he has never been to the area so he was relying on me to show him the area.

I have been having some knee pain for a while now, I am sure to draw the archery deer tag as well and would be hunting above timberline.
I sit here right now with an appointment in about 45 minutes to have it checked out. I'm hoping it's not too serious and I will be good to go, and if it is serious maybe we can get it taken care of before too long.

rodney482

WKR
Sounds like Meniscus which is a simple surgery and you can be back hunting within weeks.

If its ACL or MCL you are looking at 6 months before you should be in the mountains.

Last year while packing out my elk I tore.. inner and outer Menicus, ACl detached and Patella was dislocated. 2 surgeries and 6 months later
I just started running on it..and it hurts.

Wish you the best... it sucks for sure.

JNDEER

WKR
Sorry to hear that Rob, I hope it is not too serious and you are able to make it to CO!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
October 4th last fall I tore my Meniscus. October 8th I had 50% of it removed. October 15th I was hunting elk in CO. Painful, yes, doable yes.

a3dhunter

WKR
Hope you have good insurance, I don't.

They told me this morning probable torn meniscus, will need MRI to confirm and determine if I need surgery.
Will cost $1300 for the MRI normally, they say they will "discount" it to $500 since it's out of pocket.
Surgery $5k-10k, insurance will only pay 50% after the first $1,000.
I could just be sick after hearing this....

Just bought a new mountain bike yesterday....so much for that. Rode 10 miles yesterday and was swollen and stiff this morning, the doc could tell right away.

• Banned
OP
R

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
So I went to urgent care today since I couldn't get in to see my primary care physician. They really didn't do too much for me but give me a brace and send me back out on the crutches I came in on. The doctor said I needed an MRI but couldn't send me to get one done because I need a referral from my primary since my insurance is an HMO. Hell! I knew that much. I thought I was going in to get an MRI, they pretty much wasted my time. I tried to call my primary back to get a referral to an orthopedic physician but they never called me back. From everything I've read so far I think its my meniscus as well. I won't really know until I get the MRI done whenever that will be.

a3Dhunter I feel for you and your wallet, I'm lucky to have insurance, but i don't know what my out of pocket will be. I am really bummed about the timing of this too, just yesterday before it all happened I got invited by a coworker to hike up Yosemite's Half Dome first week of June. Apparantly those types of permits are hard to come by.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hang in there Rob and ad3! I fractured my left lower leg about 18 months ago, and had to have a rod and three screws placed to line everything back up. I was sidelined for the better part of 6 months (non weight bearing for 3 months, then in a walking cast for another 2), and had to resume backpacking and hiking slowly over an additional 6 month period. The lost time, conditioning and money (from both medical bills and lost wages if it comes to that) is tough, but with good physical therapy and hard work you will get back out there. While my injury was a huge bummer, it really helped me appreciate my ability to exercise and stay active-- I will never take that for granted again. And depending on your injury, your doctor may allow some activities to stay in shape. I logged a lot of miles last winter on what Luke lovingly dubbed my "Lance Armstrong Bike", which was in actuality a piece of junk stationary bike we got for $100 at Walmart, that was literally so noisy I couldn't hear the TV while I used it and had to resort to closed captions :) But it got me through the winter, with less lost muscle than I would have had without it, and most of my sanity intact.

Hang in there guys, it will get better!

a3dhunter

WKR
Rob, any update on your knee?

I am waiting for a call back from the doctor before I go in for an MRI. I have a few questions before I start dropping some serious coin in his pocket....

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot it up and go huning. I go to my knee Dr. around the middle of August every year and have both of em shot up. It's getting to be a joke when I show up. The Dr. looks and me and says,"Hmmmmm! In for your annual injection huh. Must be getting close to hunting season."

OP
R

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
I finally got an MRI scheduled for Tuesday. I can now stand upright with both feet on the ground and I'm down to one crutch instead of two. But my knee has more swelling than before.

a3dhunter

WKR
Sounds like you will have to have surgery on that one.
Mine has not locked up at all. They are going to have me try 6 Weeks of P.T. on my own doing what they have suggested, then come back in and recheck. Told me no running, but said I could do swimming and cycling based on if it feels okay, nothing too strenuous though.

a3dhunter; This may not be relevant for you anymore, but since your insurance wont cover your MRI you can check around with various places to see what kind of deals can be had. I did just that and got an MRI on my knee for a little over $200. Turned out I had a torn ACL and MCL, but it saved me a bit of coin to find that out.

a3dhunter

WKR
a3dhunter; This may not be relevant for you anymore, but since your insurance wont cover your MRI you can check around with various places to see what kind of deals can be had. I did just that and got an MRI on my knee for a little over $200. Turned out I had a torn ACL and MCL, but it saved me a bit of coin to find that out.

Exactly what I was thinking, have been checking to see what I can find and will go from there.
For $200, I would do the MRI without question just to be sure of what's going on.

G Posik

WKR
i had my left knee scoped on April 17th to trim the meniscus. I had a 20% tear and got it cleaned up. Stitches out on the 25th and started riding the stationary bike on the 27th. Just started light runs and walks this week. Everything is feeling good. I told the Dr to lets get things done quick so I could have as much time to get back in shape for September.

a3d the 6 weeks of PT is good and bad. If it is just a strain then good thing, any kind of tear you are really wasting time. The MRI is the only way to tell what is going on. I know it is a lot of money but let me tell you from my experience get it done and move on.

Rob P I would tell you the same about the MRI. If meniscus then 6 weeks you can be back at it hard and heavy. If ACL/MCL well like said above 6 months.

Good luck to both of you guys and hope it is nothing serious.

Glenn

Rob, I'm really sorry about your knee. I'll throw something out for you to keep in the back of your mind. If you are unable to go on your hunt, in Colorado, you can turn the tag back in. If you don't ask for a refund, and you eat the price of the tag, you can retain your points. You won't however get a point for this year. That could potentially get you back to Colorado in 2013 if you are unable to make it this year.

I had to do this in 2010 on an elk tag I drew and had 18 points tied up in.

Hardway

FNG
Rob what ever you do look for a great surgeon. had a torn miniscus repair about 6 years ago, and it almost time to have it worked on again. What i learned when looking for a surgeon for my shoulder( whole other story) was to locate a surgeon that is fellowship trained, these guys are trained by the best and specialize. They are not the do any kind of orthopidic work surgeon. good luck