Hunting without a rangefinder

Most ammo boxes will give you a “starter range” based on the velocity of the bullet. But ultimately getting within 200 yards of the animal is the goal.

Tranger03

FNG
I’m constantly surprised by the distance of objects when playing the “how far is that thing” game. The ability to estimate distance can quickly be compromised depending on the type of terrain you’re looking across, lighting conditions, etc. If you have a capable scope and know the approximate height of your target you can approximate range. There are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining. All of that takes time though and that’s not usually practical in a hunting situation.

mdxv

FNG
Don’t go further than 200 yards. Ive never used a rangefinder!

jspradley

WKR
Best piece of advice is to get a rangefinder.

Beat me to it... lol

Zeroing high at 100 yards so that your trajectory is within a acceptable range out to 300 yards is a good practice and just know what 300 yards looks like and dont shoot further than that.

kiddogy

WKR
Best piece of advice is to get a rangefinder.
best piece of advice is , learn to judge distance without a rangefinder! in the off season, pick a point and walk it off. then pick another and walk it off . keep doing this and it won't be long before you become reasonably accurate in judging

it is possible. not always easy and infallible but when you doubt your ability to do so , pass on the shot.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
best piece of advice is , learn to judge distance without a rangefinder!

Not anymore, the technology is readily available, so you may as well use it. Unless your hunting with a spear with a chiseled rock and wearing a loon cloth, we are all using technology.

Plus it without question is more likely to result in quality shot placement.

kiddogy

WKR
Not anymore, the technology is readily available, so you may as well use it. Unless your hunting with a spear with a chiseled rock and wearing a loon cloth, we are all using technology.

to each their own. I prefer to hunt without a rangefinder . just more chit to carry. I did however buy one just to practice distance judging in the offseason

Carr5vols

WKR
Use the 3 inch rule. Zero your gun so that the highest distance a bullet travels is 3" between gun barrel and zero. For instance my 300 win mag zeroed a 270 yds never goes above 3 inches high to get to 270 and then doesn't drop below 3" until roughly 325. So anything from zero to 325 hold dead on and shoot. Anything past this distance I use a range finder.

joes3

FNG
best piece of advice is , learn to judge distance without a rangefinder! in the off season, pick a point and walk it off. then pick another and walk it off . keep doing this and it won't be long before you become reasonably accurate in judging

it is possible. not always easy and infallible but when you doubt your ability to do so , pass on the shot.

This is great advice... or just get a rangefinder.

I agree once you’re getting near the 300 yard mark with a rifle. I carry one and have never been a fan of the B&C reticles to “range game.”

However, if you’re shots are 25 - 150 yards like they are in most places, it doesn’t make a dang bit of difference and is just another step that’s likely to make you miss your shot window or the animal to see movement.

So if you want to not use one, keep shots short.

perkj

FNG

Sound advice

i just got a range finder. for archery i think it is pretty critical. for rifle i have mixed emotions. most of my kills are within 100 yards.. i dont take the time to range them. i have had a couple 300 yard kills and i always did ok. aim for the shoulder and raise up a couple inches. instinct always worked fine.

always thought I was pretty decent at judging distance...….until I got a rangefinder. Pretty easy to be off a hundred yards or so beyond 300 (where it starts to matter) yards. Yesterday guessed a stump at 400...….was 510. Aiming for 400 would of been a miss, or worse...….a wounded critter.