Hunting with Non-Illuminated FFP

Anyone hunt with a FFP that isn’t illuminated? I’m curious if a hunting friendly FFP design is doable without illumination, especially at the 8-10x range.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All the time, I only have one scope that is illuminated that I just got and only got it that way cause that is how it comes. I don't hunt dark timber but to date I've not had an issue seeing a reticle in light that was still hunt able. Some reticles are bolder than others if concerned but I think the concern is fairly overblown unless you're minimum magnification is already on the higher end.

Lando

WKR
Very few of the SWFA scopes are illuminated, and roksliders use them a lot.

Most of my ffp scopes are not illluminated, and I've never had it be a problem.

All the time. With a proper reticle illumination isn't necessary I have found (that includes hunting hardwoods at last light). Problem is, there are a lot of poor reticle designs out there.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe an unpopular opinion. Illumination in a hunting scope is a feature that adds price and weight for something I never use. Please give me a simple, robust, and repeatable scope and save me the $100? (arbitrary dollar amount) by omitting illumination.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A good reticle design brings the eye to the center without illuminating it. If the design capitalizes on the brain’s innate ability to center, I don’t worry at all. I can see through my scope well past last shooting light in my hunting areas, but they are not dark hardwoods though.

OP
General RE LEE
What specifically has you not wanting illumination?

The Gen I Burris Veracity PH 4-20x50 has a non-illuminated FFP reticle. I own the Gen II but might add a Gen I at $799.

I like the design of the reticle cause it has holds that match pretty much to the DOPE of my 6.5 CM and 308.

I’ve used SWFA 3-9 a lot, and the SWFA 5-20…. No illumination and they do great.

Also, for the scopes I’ve used the most for hunting with illumination I think I’ve turned it on once in the past 10 years. I say that because for me the illumination/non illumination isn’t really a factor for my scope decisions. Many come with it and that’s fine

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I also use them all the time without illumination, SWFA 3-9s and Bushy LRHS 3-12. Now with a Maven 1.2 2.5-15, I’ll likely never use the illumination.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Ive never used illumination and have owned ffp-only for last 5 years or so. In low-low-light the animal disappears way before the reticle does in my eyes.

To be fair, I only hunt ~3 weeks a year. So perhaps I just haven't been in that situation yet where illumination would save my bacon.

Until then, illumination is the last thing I care about having in my riflescope. (I think its illegal to use in my state anyway)