Hunting with camp on your back?

taskswap

WKR
I favor 1-2 night spike camps. I can pack much lighter because I don't need much cooking and other camp gear, just the basics. Packing lighter means I can cover more ground. This lets me do a 1-2 day loop then back to my truck to rest and refit and move to a different location.

The areas and seasons I hunt tend to be higher pressure. I like this approach because if the elk are blown out of the area I'm focusing on, I don't feel as tied to it as if I'd packed in a ton of gear and set up for the week. I can just move to a Plan B or Plan C area and repeat the process.

I think after reading the different perspectives this probably what I will do. We are not going super deep. In the past we have camped at the truck walking in 2.5 to 3 miles to the areas we have found elk. I think my main goal is to reduce that morning and evening walk.
Now you’re on the right track. Depending on my situation I like to either shave off 2-3 miles or maybe 1000-1500 feet in elevation from my morning death march. Less work more sleep and you are in your best spots super early with ease and you can stay until dark.

Poser

WKR
I backpack into an area that I have scouted extensively and then am setup to either hunt out of established camps or backpack hunt if need be. Usually move camp 3 times on average but have done more. That being said, having backpacked into areas only having escouted has proved to be a mistake.

That being said, I will often backpack in just 2-3 miles to avoid having to spend so much time hiking back and forth. Last 3rd rifle, I was hunting out of my tent every morning, but maybe 2 miles or less from my truck.

ElkNut1

WKR
There's no doubt there's a certain amount of glamour hunters fantasize about in hunting for days off their backs, I've considered it as well but have yet committed to it. Nothing wrong with it but I have to ask myself & you do too if it's really necessary! I'm a bowhunter at heart & find that most the elk I encounter & take are no more than 2 gps miles in most cases from where I park. I look for areas that have water not found on most any paper map yet can be found on mapping apps when zoomed in for scouting or actual hunting times.

These areas are generally secluded just enough where most hunters do not venture into since they're in-between trails or roads of all types. This in itself eliminates most hunters that stick to travel areas. I do the opposite! It has paid of with 35 OTC elk over the years.

Basically I have a centralized base camp & leave from there. I do not walk to hunt from there, I drive to pre arranged spots I've located on my mapping app or am hunting areas I'm already familiar with. In either case it works! As an archery hunter it's all about me & my bugle! Hope some of this is useful to you!

ElkNut

There is a saying. " Don't walk past Elk to find Elk. I like having a base camp and also a optional Spike camp.
Only time in Montana hunting I held off even pitching a tent and slept in the truck till I know where I wanted to set up my camp. In the first few days I hiked several trails off the FS road and of course hunted at the same time. I wasn't overly impressed with what I had found though I had covered a lot of miles. I ended up camping along the FS road at most a mile in from the main highway. Every morning around daylight I would hear trucks go by and engins crank up and head further down the FS road if I wasn't already heading down it myself. Most folks around me stayed in campers but I was in a tent. One morning early, I could hear elk bugle right behind my camp maybe a half mile back at most. After that experience I realized I could easily hunt from my camp while every body else was heading up the road. So from then on I just walked back behind my tent away from the road and was hearing or into elk almost every day after that. This year I hope I'm as lucky so of course I'll be camping in or near that same spot. This year however I'm going to position myself back there before daylight if possible. But I carry a small lightweight tent for a backup (spike camp) if I'm not so lucky.
I will be initially camping alone so being I drew Montana this year I will be setting up a electric fence around my camping area. I find that it allows me to sleep better at night in my tent. Even though it's a very simple portable fence I figure at worst a bear coming through it will make enough noise to wake me up. Since Elk mostly move early and later in the day I think it's important to try to be where you think they may be early vs being near them after they are bedded for the day. Evening hunts can be tricky too far away from camp as it often forces one to have to hike back to camp in the dark. Not a good thing to have to do if you are hiking over treacherous terrain. Also you have have the Lions and Tigers and Bears-Oh boy! LOL
Good luck on your hunt!

There's no doubt there's a certain amount of glamour hunters fantasize about in hunting for days off their backs, I've considered it as well but have yet committed to it. Nothing wrong with it but I have to ask myself & you do too if it's really necessary! I'm a bowhunter at heart & find that most the elk I encounter & take are no more than 2 gps miles in most cases from where I park. I look for areas that have water not found on most any paper map yet can be found on mapping apps when zoomed in for scouting or actual hunting times.

These areas are generally secluded just enough where most hunters do not venture into since they're in-between trails or roads of all types. This in itself eliminates most hunters that stick to travel areas. I do the opposite! It has paid of with 35 OTC elk over the years.

Basically I have a centralized base camp & leave from there. I do not walk to hunt from there, I drive to pre arranged spots I've located on my mapping app or am hunting areas I'm already familiar with. In either case it works! As an archery hunter it's all about me & my bugle! Hope some of this is useful to you!

ElkNut
ELKNUT

YOUR MY IDOL! Seriously, I'm 73 and don't have many folks I Idolize but you are one of them. I have your App on my phone and I really appreciate your online Elk calling sessions. There aren't many Elk hunters in my area in NC but the few that hunt with me I try to encourage them to get your App and learn to call. I figure even if they don't call if they just learn what the Elk are saying it can be very useful for hunting them.
PS, I drew a general combo in Montana so I'll be hunting this year for sure during Archery season.

My Best Regards,
Terry in NC.

vladkgb

FNG
F-150 to get me on the forest roads and trail heads, and ebikes to go deeper, then I spike and hunt from there. If the spot sucks, it's easy to pick up my spike camp and ride out on my bike and go to another spot. Staying mobile is key for me.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s easy to carry “camp on your back” when you don’t bring a bunch of stuff you don’t really need.

My setups for a base camp hunt, mobile base camp hunt, and our on the move spike camping are quite different.

Scouting is the most important factor in determining how I’m going to hunt an area. Camp type is solely based on this valuable information.

The only time I hunt with camp on my back is when I'm packing my stuff to where I want to camp. Even then I usually have my bow on my pack instead of in my hand where it should be if i'm hunting. Always looking for an opportunity no matter the situation.

I’m going to be hunting with camp on my back this year, I’ve pared my pack down to only essentials and I like to sleep 8 hrs/night or I don’t function well so I would rather be able to camp where I finish hunting for the day and pick up at first light and go than be running short on sleep to be hiking to/from camp before and after dark. Essentially for me it will be the best of both worlds, hunt all day while also being able to get enough sleep at night to function each day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeePow

FNG
I got into hunting entirely independent which has aided my comfort level going into the woods solo. I typically go with a partner and we’d carry camp on our packs because there were several different routes we could pursue elk. The only variable was which way we would hear first or the most. My buddy’s persuasion led me to believe it is best to save ourselves the vertical and mileage by carrying camp.

I became a fan because it offered versatility. We’ve altered and set up a spike camp as well if we got consistent action. This past year was my first time hunting solo backpack hunting and I was more conservative due to being solo. Decisions just needed to be made differently to be responsible.

My only recommendation is to grab an Garmin InReach.

Jaquomo

WKR
Food for thought: with all the thousands of "way backers" turning elk hunting into an endurance/backpacking sport, lots of elk are also being spooked back in there (3-5 miles or more).. There is a damn good chance many of those elk will be spooked closer to roads. I killed my last bull 250 yards from a busy county road. Every year I hear stories from backpack hunters who hear bulls bugling close to trailheads when they trudge back out.

m4ddis

FNG
Last year I backpacked in to a general area that was semi new to me and setup a little discrete base camp. I was still looking for the elk so I threw an Eno hammock, light sleeping bag and some food in my day pack just incase I was a little too far from base and wanted to rest up. I ended up throwing the hammock up one night after a long day and spent the night. That felt amazing. Little weird hearing critters walking all around you at night, but I got some decent sleep with one eye open :) All depends on the weather too!

Food for thought: with all the thousands of "way backers" turning elk hunting into an endurance/backpacking sport, lots of elk are also being spooked back in there (3-5 miles or more).. There is a damn good chance many of those elk will be spooked closer to roads. I killed my last bull 250 yards from a busy county road. Every year I hear stories from backpack hunters who hear bulls bugling close to trailheads when they trudge back out.

This /\ /\ /\ /\

Depends on the caliber of animal you’re hunting. Hunt within 2-3 miles of parking like most you’ll kill the same animals as most. Nothing wrong with that but if you’re after something special that most don’t kill you’ll need to stay mobile.

cnelk

WKR
Shush!!! ;)

Cfriend

FNG
I have hunted with camp on my back almost exclusively.

I love the freedom of it. When I leave the truck, I can go whereever I want without worrying about time of day. I can freely follow the elk and don't ever have to worry about getting back to camp. If it's an hour till dark and I hear a bugle in the opposite direction from the truck I can go after it without thinking about the extra miles I will have to hike out. If there's no elk in the area I just keep hiking a loop back to the truck and move on.

Honestly carrying camp is only about 10 lbs heavier than what I would be carrying anyway. My sleeping bag, pad, pillow and tarp combine to 5 lb, and then I have to carry several days of food (I do forego hot meals to save weight). My total pack weight for 4-5 days is right around 30 lb.

Another advantage is I get plenty of sleep. Im generally in my sleeping bag within a hour after shooting light and I am basically hunting when I start walking in the morning (although I do generally try avoid sleeping right in the middle of the elk.

At times it is annoying carrying the heavier pack, but it's not that bad. I have always hated hiking back to the truck after dark, knowing that in a few hours I'm gonna be coming back with little sleep.

I'm happy to carry the extra weight for the freedom to hunt all day without worrying about where I am.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I plan to hunt from my truck this year. No camp set up. Get in the back and go to sleep. I will have bivy gear with me if I do decide to go in over night. But the 3 plus day bivy hunt is a thing of the past. Hit one area then on to the next down the road driving my sleeping quarters with me.