Hunting with camp on your back?

I don't usually stay in one spot for the day hunting, unless I'm hearing bugles, seeing elk, or there is really fresh sign. At least in NW MT I've had better luck hitting specific spots on the mountain, no indication of elk, bomb out and go to the next spot. Seems here elk don't use the whole mountainside, just parts of it.

At the end of the day, I'll drive to the area to hunt the next morning and try to set up nearby where I'll hear elk over night. This may be a few miles away, a little further, or even an hour or two away from where I hunted the previous day. Just depends on conditions and what elk seen to be doing.

I've got coolers with food in the back of the truck, sleep in the front seat, and my evening and morning routines stay the same and are economized for time.

I tend to hunt MON-FRI on my weeks off during season, then spend weekends with my family. Usually at least once a week we'll have a day of rain, where I'll drive the roads scouting more sign and sneak back home, grab some fuel, a shower, maybe a meal, then back on the mountain. No rain, I'm hunting the mountain side.

I'm considering throwing a light tarp in my pack along with my Katabatic bivvy and WM Badger to add an extra option if i get a ways in and into elk. Especially, if it will help me leo track of them over night, with better Intel for the next days hunt.

I've always got a filter with me, a 100 oz bladder, a dehydrared meal or two, snacks, and a small stove. Weight penalty would be minimal and adds another degree of flexibility. But I've not run into that issue the last several years, so the consideration may be for not. Rare I don't get into elk within 5 miles of the truck, my comfort zone for getting elk out solo to a cooler. But those can be some rough, steep, miles at times.

Jaquomo

WKR
Not to worry. No self-respecting Kuiu Warrior or Sitka Soldier would shoot an elk closer than 3 miles from a road, preferably five or more. Can't make a good YouTube video with vehicle noise in the background!

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
When I scout I solely carry camp around. Otherwise, I take what the hunt gives me and be flexible.

I've done 7 days and been successful, also slept in the truck and been successful.

chasewild

WKR
Not to worry. No self-respecting Kuiu Warrior or Sitka Soldier would shoot an elk closer than 3 miles from a road, preferably five or more. Can't make a good YouTube video with vehicle noise in the background!
Bowsite must be slow these days.

I've done both, back pack hunted for days doing too many miles and killed bulls, and walked out my back door and killed bulls. I loved both -- the latter probably because of the former. I'd say go giver hell and see as much country while you've got good knees and then find some of those nooks that hold elk in plain view.

bushman

FNG
I'm hunting a new area this year. Access in is limited. The public access is a easment through private ground with no camping at the parking area. So we'll hike in to the public land get up high and set up camp. Each day we will do 3-5 mile hunts from spike covering different areas.
I do have a base camp kit in the truck in case this area is a bust. We have several back up plans.

I've done it before and I'm sure I will do it again but I am not nearly as effective when I'm carrying 40# everywhere I go. That's an additional 25% of my body weight! When I do pack in I will day hunt from a spike camp for a good portion of the day, then if I want to move I will load up in the afternoon and hunt my way to a new area in the evening so that I'm not carrying it with me all damn day.