Hunting with a peep clarifier

jchal3

FNG
Hey guys. Does anyone run a peep with a clarifier on their hunting rig?...what have you found to be the pros and cons.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
Used one for 4-5 years with no problems. Heard about sunlight washing out the pins, but never had that problem.
Got rid of them because I went back to glasses.

Verifiers (and clarifiers for lenses) can get some glares on them. You definitely want at least a well shaded peep.

Another solution might be to get a smaller peep, that can help clear things up.
Or go no peep. Depending on your hunting distances and you, it might not be necessary. One guy I shoot with has gone away from using a peep on his hunting bow. 35-40 yards he doesn't need it, but he is a really good shot.

Rob5589

WKR
If looking to clear up the pins, you need a verifier. I've been shooting with one since 2016, couldn't do it without one with my vision. I recommend using one with the absolute lowest power you can. I use one that leaves the pins every so slightly blurry. When the verifier is too powerful it makes close shots hard to get on and the target too blurry at longer stuff. If you have a shop that sells them they will have a sample board/tool for you to try.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
If looking to clear up the pins, you need a verifier. I've been shooting with one since 2016, couldn't do it without one with my vision. I recommend using one with the absolute lowest power you can. I use one that leaves the pins every so slightly blurry. When the verifier is too powerful it makes close shots hard to get on and the target too blurry at longer stuff. If you have a shop that sells them they will have a sample board/tool for you to try.
the above is my experience. You give up one thing for another, depending on a verifier or a clarifier.
With verifier, pins were clear but target blurry. Clarifier, target clear but pins blurry or in my case 2 pins appeared like 4.

I went to no peep, Anchor Sight system 7 years ago and never went back to a peep. Shoot/practice out to 100 yards. My max hunt shoot distance is up to 80 yards under right conditions.
Coues.com post pic.jpg

This coues buck taken at 72 yards; downhill, calm winds/thermal, heart shot exiting back of opposite rib cage and buck down in 40 yards.

Marble

WKR
Like Billy Goat mentioned above, a smaller peep will usually clear up pins. It's a good first step.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I shot a verifier to clear my pins up for two seasons. They work, and clean it every few days of dust.

Just had to be more conscious of rain drops on the lens.

Only dropped it because eyes got bad enough I had to correct for long distance too, so went to a contact lens and that cleared all of it up.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Only dropped it because eyes got bad enough I had to correct for long distance too, so went to a contact lens and that cleared all of it up.
With my contacts I can see far but not up close, without my contacts I can see up close but not far. The peep helps with clearing the pins, but not when the sun goes down. In bright sun my pins are clear, at dawn and dusk and any other low light times they blur up.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
With my contacts I can see far but not up close, without my contacts I can see up close but not far. The peep helps with clearing the pins, but not when the sun goes down. In bright sun my pins are clear, at dawn and dusk and any other low light times they blur up.
guess I'm pretty lucky! To note, I don't use a biovision (the equivalent of a biofocal) in my contacts for shooting, as they create glare in lowlight situations. Just a straghat 1.75x power contact. I keep reading glasses handy if I need to see in close like tracks, blood, or onX work

This is me as well.

I wear glasses to see clear at distance but now my up close is blurry. I installed a low power Hamskea verifier just enough to clear my pins while still being able to see the target through my glasses.

Carry some lens wipes to clean the verifier lens off as needed. I haven’t hunted with it in rain or snow but that could cause a problem with visibility at the moment of truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
guess I'm pretty lucky! To note, I don't use a biovision (the equivalent of a biofocal) in my contacts for shooting, as they create glare in lowlight situations. Just a straghat 1.75x power contact. I keep reading glasses handy if I need to see in close like tracks, blood, or onX work
I'm way too picky.......OCD........anal......particular.......intolerant......to EVER try bifocals or anything of the like. I had a doctor ask me one time if I was interested in monovision......one eye corrected for far and one close. I asked him if he was high. Luckily, at my draw length.......my pins are far enough away that it's not a huge deal right now.

OP
J

jchal3

FNG
We I haven't really had trouble with the small peep I shoot now. But I see way better through my target setup ( clarifier). I thought putting one on the hunting rig might have been a good idea...but I think I'll just stick with the small peep.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve used a verifier for several years. I’ve been very happy with it as I can clearly see my pins. Only downside is I’ve lost about 10 minutes of shooting time by using it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm way too picky.......OCD........anal......particular.......intolerant......to EVER try bifocals or anything of the like. I had a doctor ask me one time if I was interested in monovision......one eye corrected for far and one close. I asked him if he was high. Luckily, at my draw length.......my pins are far enough away that it's not a huge deal right now.

Yeah Mike he was high. I tried the correction of one eye far, one eye close, and it does work if your cubicle-bound. But if you’re an outdoor guy, you notice immediately you can’t see stuff you need to at distance. So she switched me back to far vision and I’m much happier. Just have to dig out the readers if I’m doing close in stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sambo3006

FNG
I went to a verifier peep two seasons ago. It was a game changer for me. My distance vision is perfect but my up close vision had deteriorated to the point that my sight pins were quite blurry. I was able to use the weakest power verifier lens and now my pins are clear while the target or deer is only slightly less clear. I am back to shooting my bow at the level of accuracy I'd had for years but had lost recently due to my vision change.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So she switched me back to far vision and I’m much happier. Just have to dig out the readers if I’m doing close in stuff.
Readers give me an instant headache.....probably because each eye is different for near vision. When I need to do up close work like tying flies, I just take out my contacts and I can see as close as I need to.

I used a verifier for many many years. I also shoot both eyes open. Always kept Q-Tips in my shirt pocket to clean it before each hunt. I also would put Rain-X on a Q tip and it really helped with rain. I finally went went with the bio-focal contacts for far and medium range and I was able remove the verifier peep. Kept the verifier peep in case I decide to go back to a normal single vison contact lens.