Hunting with a partner

Pramo

WKR
I hunt alone 85% of the time, but when I do have a partner we go with first good shot takes it and alternate calling. My group has a saying "if you want to find out about someone take them on an elk hunt" hunters with a bunch of greed and jealousy can be hard to deal with and I just won't hunt with them.

The biggest factor is fitness and mindset, I stay in top shape all year and need someone who can keep up and stay positive. My partners understand this and we talk frankly about expectations before the hunt. I'm going to hunt as hard as possible that and may mean 2 miles a day, could be a bivy run and gun for 15 miles chasing bulls or hunt a water hole for 10 hours in a blind or stand. Whatever the hunt dictates my partner needs to be flexible and very determined.

Just lay the groundwork first so everyone understands and is on the same page and you don't wind up on a miserable trip with someone bailing early.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've gone on many hunts without a tag, carrying only my calls and the DSLR.

That's the best way to go if you're going with a partner. Getting two animals down at the same time is a real chore, so it's almost best if only one is hunting. Back in my rifle days I shot a bull and a cow and my buddy shot a cow all together in about 5 minutes time. What a chore.

The guys that are searching for hunting partners need to read this^^^^^ carefully. Hunters can be type As, lots of competition, selfishness and jealousy, even among the closest of friends. Especially on out of town trips where great effort and money are involved, make sure you are picking a team player. I have always been just as, if not more stoked, when my partner puts an arrow in something. I've gone on many hunts without a tag, carrying only my calls and the DSLR. Conversely, I've had guys throw their bow on the ground all pissed off when my arrow met its mark. Critical aspect when you are shopping for a partner. Best of luck this Fall.
Agreed^^^ My hunting buddies and I go way back to elementary school! We've never had issues with the way we have decided to go about who shoots first. Your buddies are important team members whether it be guiding you in on a big buck from a distance peak or calling behind you trying to get that bull a little bit closer for you or for good all around support on those mentally frustrating days to keep you going! You'll know you've found a good friend when he's as stoked for your success as much as his own! Oh most important use them to pack out meat as much as possible 😉

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
stuckbuck

stuckbuck

FNG
We get along really well, and for sure, if either of us get an arrow in one it will be a celebration!
I guess I was trying to be more structured because I can see, in my mind, us standing there together with a 300" bull at 25 yards wide open for both of us and at that point who draws first?
I know it probably ain't going to happen that way, but that's what I see in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've hunted with the same guys forever. We all work to get animals. Regardless of who shoots it. Each guy just does what makes sense for where he's at. Whether it's calling/stay still and shut up or shoot. You gotta all hunt the same and not have anybody greedy for that system to work. Works real well for us though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My partner and I are polar opposites with skills and strategy. It works because we understand each other and determine who shoots by who's skill set is best in that scenario. Honestly we say who ever is in the field at the time gets credit and meat. Can't tell you how many times one of us is congratulating and the other is saying I couldn't have with out your help. Go home with 50-50 on filled tags and no remorse.

With "us" it's like a Gollum split personality scene... Aaahhh the joys of hunting solo and being away from people for too long!
d316a6fd40fd8c8a04d3f72ca35de183.jpg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We hunt for meat as a primary. Often we've just been out on cow tags and frankly don't care who shoots an animal since those who haul go home with meat. If a couple folks had bull tags on the same hunt then chat it out. Last year I was with a friend and we each had a bull and buck tag for an area, it was his first year out. I pulled rank on the bull I spotted since I spotted it and the shot distance was in my wheelhouse and not his. We agreed if we spotted a buck after that we'd work to move him in on it. This year for elk I have a bull tag and my partner has a cow tag (he'll hunt a bull later with his brother most likely). We'd both like to see a bull drop as a primary so no real argument there if we see a herd, the main issue will be discussing how much work we want in a given situation that presents the chance to punch both tags at once. We're gluttons for punishment there tho...

ElkBoss

FNG
We alternate shooters on every encounter. We both like to call, so that's no problem. Sometimes we have a 3rd or 4th guy with us, and we rotate them in as shooters, but they don't call. Just me and my main partner. In our opinion, 1 guy filling his tag is a win for all. Everyone helps pack out, everyone gets to eat and enjoy.

We work as a team and when we see a shootable animal we typically ask hey do you want this one or do I take it and we will figure out who wants to shoot it. We also like different types of racks so that makes it easier as well. My hunting partner has also been my hunting teacher and we have worked well together for the past 4 years and have many kills between the two of us. We have a early Sept archery bull elk coming up next week he already has his bull picked out and I have mine we will work together and see who's bull presents the first opportunity and that's who will go first. I have heard stories of issues happening though and one from my Partner who use to always usually hunt alone but started hunting with a guy and after a few times out my partner took him to one of his spots where he had been watching a few deer and one of the deer he was after was a 120" coues. It was raining that day and he decided to stalk in on him and told the other guy to hang out and wait and watch. My partner gets to 45 yards from this deer and was planning on getting closer when all of a sudden the deer jumps up out of its bed and bolts he looks over and the guy he took with him is 30 yards on the other side of the deer he was trying to stalk in on that deer. After that he never hunted with the guy again. We were friends before we started hunting and neither one of us would to that to each other. We value our friendship over any animal regardless size.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I only hunt with 4 other guys throughout the season. One is my brother, we get into elk on a regular basis and are both pretty selfless and will work our asses off for each other but then again we also have moments where we fight like brothers but we get over it quickly. The next guy is a friend and hunting partner of 12 years and same story, we work together well and manage to get into deer and elk regularly. The next guy I got into hunting about 8 years ago. I taught him everything he knows about the game yet for some reason he thinks he's the worlds greatest hunter (we have since parted ways but still share intel and would be there for each other in a heartbeat if needed). I just prefer not to hunt with him anymore because of his arrogance. The 4th guy is my boss and we have become great friends outside of work. He is a world of knowledge for the local area as he grew up hunting and riding horses in the local hills. He has killed more than his fair share of big bulls and finds tons of joy in showing me new zones, horsemanship and seeing my success.

Long story short I've hunted with plenty of selfish hunters that only care about their own success and I won't tolerate it. Its a team effort and I'm just as happy if not more happy when one of my buddies punches his tag as I would be for my own tag. So far in the last few years if any of us is tagged out we will continue to hunt and help the others who are not just as hard as if it was our own tag. This type of dedication creates a trust between guys. We hunt in rugged backcountry bear infested areas were we depend on each other for success and safety.