Hunting vehicle other than pickup??

Birdman88

Lil-Rokslider
So looking for info on what the title says.
Who uses a vehicle other than a pickup for your hunting needs?
If so what is it?
What type of hunting and terrain do you frequent with it?
What type of gas mileage do you get?
Any pics of your setup?
Also if you had a truck and switched do you regret it?
After driving a ton of miles in my Tundra I started thinking there has to be a better more fuel efficient way to do this and still have all my gear.
I hunt most animals in multiple states and live in WA. Will drive to WY, CO, ND and AZ this year.
I don’t personally have one but my hunting partner has a can am commander 1000 that will climb anything you have the guts to try. I have been in many others and the commander would definitely be my first choice. Only down fall with atv/utv is noise and dust in everything

LandYacht

WKR
c52bdbfa6ba6f2988d13d86dc91c2fd6.jpg

Pickups are nice but they don’t make the grade for being able to have sleeping area that can heat up in the morning when you turn on your vehicle.

2000 Land Cruiser pictured has been my hunting rig for the last 5 years. Before hat it was a Subaru.

Used my wife’s Odyssey last year on a couple scouting trips and I guarantee you that nobody thought we were scouting. Most likely thought we were re-enacting American Vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
6c3eb7cd5f342d31d3a762e6d5516edb.jpg

2004 4Runner. It may have 230k miles on it but I’m not afraid to drive it 2000 miles to get stuck in the snow in Wyoming. Wish I had just a little bit more room. It’s a bit tight in there packed down for September out west.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Do side by sides count? We bought a Polaris General 4 and also invested in tracks and it’s literally unstoppable. But my husband and I treat this machine as our second hobby too and really enjoy getting four seasons of use out of it
05c8ce3a3f49399d42379b7c136a9db8.jpg

b1a05fe917fc949eff5ed5d53a14317b.jpg

We also drive our Dodge Ram 3/4 ton around hunting too chained up before we had the General. We ordered it with full front and rear locking diffs and it does great too but just gets big in some spots
d62ad4abaf0f4273b879c7221112a4a0.jpg

We frequent a lot of driving on rocky roads and have done the soft gumbo in eastern Montana too. Regardless on what rig you decide to invest in good tires make all the difference

How deep is the deepest snow you've had the General in with tracks? I've heard that in deep powder you aren't gonna get far, but hard pack, groomed, or just a couple of feet of snow they are pretty nice to have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How deep is the deepest snow you've had the General in with tracks? I've heard that in deep powder you aren't gonna get far, but hard pack, groomed, or just a couple of feet of snow they are pretty nice to have.

We’ve had the General in snow up to 6-8 feet deep. The tracks perform the best if there is a little bit of a base. If there is a solid base and 2 feet of fresh snow that’s when they perform the best. The tracks take a lot of fuel to run, average rpms are about 7500 and also are slow, you will run 12-15mph on a groomed trail and about 8-10 mph on an untouched area. Then on your way back it’ll go a little faster since the ground is broken. It is a completely different driving style than with tires. With tracks you are feathering the gas all the time kind of similar to a snowmobile, especially when you are climbing because too much track spin gets you stuck. But they don’t get that stuck most of the time you can just back up a few feet and continue on. Overall i think the purchase was worth it, we bought them in early December and rode them around 10 times this winter i want to say.

Picture of my husband on one of those deep days
0c8de953b43f4228ac24de05aae8dc42.jpg

d24ca819520105cd977303439ef711d2.jpg
f99f3eade55e46a87ee7b32a269b1b12.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
We’ve had the General in snow up to 6-8 feet deep. The tracks perform the best if there is a little bit of a base. If there is a solid base and 2 feet of fresh snow that’s when they perform the best. The tracks take a lot of fuel to run, average rpms are about 7500 and also are slow, you will run 12-15mph on a groomed trail and about 8-10 mph on an untouched area. Then on your way back it’ll go a little faster since the ground is broken. It is a completely different driving style than with tires. With tracks you are feathering the gas all the time kind of similar to a snowmobile, especially when you are climbing because too much track spin gets you stuck. But they don’t get that stuck most of the time you can just back up a few feet and continue on. Overall i think the purchase was worth it, we bought them in early December and rode them around 10 times this winter i want to say.

Picture of my husband on one of those deep days
0c8de953b43f4228ac24de05aae8dc42.jpg

d24ca819520105cd977303439ef711d2.jpg
f99f3eade55e46a87ee7b32a269b1b12.jpg

Probably not something you'd wanna try on a 6ft of fresh dump kind of day, huh? Lol

2016 Cherokee trailhawk with a small lift and the largest tires i can squeeze under there without rubbing. Gets me everywhere i have needed it go so far. I get around 20mpg average. Better on highway. Been very impressed with it so far. 20180930_135422.jpg

I have 3rd gen 4Runner and it’s been pretty good. Everything inside stays dry and with 4x4 and smaller size it is good for getting places in AZ and NM compared to 1/4 ton+ pickup.

With a tarp in the back and those yellow and black cargo boxes from Costco, hauling meat and gear is doable for day-trip hunts or if you pack very light gear-wise. You really need a cargo carrier or utility trailer if you’re staying multiple nights (not solo) and hope to bring back an elk or deer.

In the future I plan to get a Tacoma with a shell for extra room and separation from cargo without sacrificing covered space and much off-road ability

My buddy uses is brand new 4Runner. He took the carpet out and rhino lined the cargo area so he can simply hose out the blood etc. Works pretty slick.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I drive close to 50k a year for my sales job and my company requires I have a vehicle with four doors. I require one with decent mileage (near 30mpg) and enough cargo space for camping gear and two large dog kennels. My Subaru Forester has been great on AND off the road. Hauled all of my winter camp last year and the elk quarters from that late season hunt. When I chain up, I’ve been up and down roads much more readily than many pickups I’ve encountered

bbell

WKR
I posted a pic on the sheep rig thread😀 I drive a Subaru Forester. Good mpg and goes a lot of places

AF99DB1C-D66F-4FD0-8B8D-84387682083A.jpeg

ragz

FNG
I'll be running an FJ this season for Elk.

Plenty of room in the back with the seats folded down. Will probably bring a few coolers and add on a hitch mounted rack for coolers. They usually come with roof racking too. Seems to be pretty fitting out of the box.

The interior is mostly plastic, including the rear storage and floor so everything can be rinsed out if needed.

Rob5589

WKR
Interesting that there is not much mention of Jeeps on here, wonder why? lack of cargo space?
Lack of space is why I am selling mine. With the rear seat in there is maybe 9" of room on the floor tapering to about 4" at the top. With it out it isn't terrible. I flat tow it on longer trips, drive it for short/day trips. But that little sucker goes anywhere I point it and it's a blast to drive topless.