Hunting vehicle other than pickup??

Poser

WKR
Here’s the pro type design for Tesla’s truck which they claim will be priced under 50k

elkduds

WKR
Anyone use one of the older Ford escapes? Seems like it would be a decent option.
I had one an '04 Escape w v6, awd. It had better clearance than my Forester by a little. Otherwise pretty similar offroad. Escape towed better w V6 vs Subies' 4 banger, Subs get better MPG. Subs are more durable and reliable IME. Both had 4 speed automatic transmissions, 1st gear was lower on the Sub. Neither has a low range or transfer case. A little more room inside the Escape than the Forester, I couldn't sleep in back of either one, I'm 5-11.

oldgoat

WKR
My hunting ride, don't know if I want to do a lot of long trips as she gets in the teens for gas milage, but I like that I can sleep in the back of it without unloading my 65qt cooler.
05 4runner
glZ6sj6.jpg

My current hunting rig is a 2014 rzr xp4 1000. SO far I love it. I usto hunt with a Geo tracker and the only thing I miss is a sealed cab. It has plenty of room for 2 people plus gear. My buddie I bought it from used it a few years back and had him, his dad and a 380 bull in the back of it without any issues. Not 100% on the fuel range, but depending on if I take off from the house or trailer im guessing I can get 120+ miles per tank and that's getting around pretty good in the hills.

Do side by sides count? We bought a Polaris General 4 and also invested in tracks and it’s literally unstoppable. But my husband and I treat this machine as our second hobby too and really enjoy getting four seasons of use out of it

We also drive our Dodge Ram 3/4 ton around hunting too chained up before we had the General. We ordered it with full front and rear locking diffs and it does great too but just gets big in some spots

We frequent a lot of driving on rocky roads and have done the soft gumbo in eastern Montana too. Regardless on what rig you decide to invest in good tires make all the difference

Great rigs for the $.

I am a simple guy and go with a GMC Sierra 2500 diesel. 33" tires and incognito 2" lift. everything else is factory, and once the truck starts spinning, I grab the danner Crag Rat foot treads and go from there!

...2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 w big block engine....Unfortunately, the last of its breed, thank you government motors.
MAN is that ever the truth. Hate the way the gov and EPA regulations have screwed up Jeeps, Trucks, and other vary useful toys for a good life.

09 jeep Wrangler unlimited here..got 19 mpg before I messed with it but even after the 4 inch lift ,35s and 4.56 gears I still average 17 on my 96 mile daily commute. Rides and hauls way better than the old yj I had but still not as good as the wife's grand Cherokee, plenty of cargo space,and tons of aftermarket support to outfit it anyway you can dream up.

If I could find me a big block suburban in that kind of shape I'd jump on it too...nice rig man!

lif

WKR
I’ve been using my 2012 Toyota Sequoia for a few years now. My wife told me after a couple years of scratching the shit out of it that it was officially mine. 😁. It’s like having a full size tundra with more cab room to keep stuff dry or bring more people(my family in my case). I put a tow hitch shelf on the back for ice chests or other large items. You can tie stuff to the ski racks on top. It is big enough to pull a full size trailer as well. Loving traveling in that thing now.

If I could find me a big block suburban in that kind of shape I'd jump on it too...nice rig man!

Needs a few things that don’t seem major. It’s going to be a sweet semi-project vehicle.

I’ve been using my 2012 Toyota Sequoia for a few years now. My wife told me after a couple years of scratching the shit out of it that it was officially mine. . It’s like having a full size tundra with more cab room to keep stuff dry or bring more people(my family in my case). I put a tow hitch shelf on the back for ice chests or other large items. You can tie stuff to the ski racks on top. It is big enough to pull a full size trailer as well. Loving traveling in that thing now.

I tried like hell to find a 4wd first gen sequoia in my price range and couldn’t do it unless it needed serious work right off the bat. But that was my first choice of vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
Needs a few things that don’t seem major. It’s going to be a sweet semi-project vehicle.

I tried like hell to find a 4wd first gen sequoia in my price range and couldn’t do it unless it needed serious work right off the bat. But that was my first choice of vehicle.

This was originally a family rig, and still is. It’s just become ok for my brush scraping two track roads now. We’ve put 230,000 miles on it already and I’m shooting for 400,000. I also have a Tacoma I use for local hunting. It’s a 1998. Love it. Will be buried in it.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use one of the older Ford escapes? Seems like it would be a decent option.

I've had an 01 Escape for 4 years now and it's been great. I don't do anything crazy with it but I've never been stuck with it. It does great off road even with cheap road tires. That's probably because I'm not afraid to beat the crap out of it and just gun it when I'm close to getting stuck lol. It has plenty of room to sleep in the back for me and I'm 6'. I just either have to lay diagonally or bend my knees a tad. Only problem is rust. If you live in a state with salt all over the roads (PA) like me, you're gonna have problems. Mine only has 110,000 miles on it and the entire underneath is pretty rough looking. They also had a recall because the subframes were rotting out. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one, but I'd look it over extremely carefully for rust first. As far as engine and all that, no complaints here.

2003 Chevy Tahoe that has over 260,000 miles on it. Been all over the US from coast to coast. After CPU tuning getting around 17-19 on the highway, depending on wind. Sleep in it if you want and never worry about leaving stuff inside it when going into a store or something. Had $1,000s of dollars of hunting stuff stolen out of the back of a truck once. Will never go back. Trailer if you need to haul big things.

Attachments

• 2017-10-23_09-27-42_843.jpeg
    2017-10-23_09-27-42_843.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 56

connerh04

FNG
Subaru Forester, 2006, 23-27 mpg, 121,000 miles. Biggest complaint is clearance, but it works. It’s a hoot coming out loaded with bone and seeing the looks from the guys in their $60,000 trucks. They’re reliable, awd, sleeps 2 comfortably. Buy one of the newer ones with better clearance if you can afford it, I’ve taken mine to hell and back, it’s not going to be a rock crawler or a snow pushing machine, been stuck a handful of times but nothing I couldn’t dig myself out of.6A08C46A-236B-4DA3-B615-59C0B3A6AF77.jpeg

Last edited:

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Yukon XL/Suburban 2wd

Hauls alot of stuff and keeps it dry. Plenty of room to sleep in. Never been stuck. Stay on the roads and hike in as far as needed.

njonas126

FNG
I hunted out of a 99 4Runner for a few years, it was great, I just put a tarp down in the back and through everything on it, gas mileage was not great but better than a tundra!