Hunting Truck Mid vs Full Size

i have both a second gen tacoma and a newer full size 2500 gmc diesel. For me, if its strictly a hunting truck i would go mid size, specifically an Access Cab Tacoma with 6' bed.

if you are wanting 1 truck for daily use that would also work for hunting i would go full size f150, tundra whatever your flavor. in a half ton, Id get a v8, no v6 turbo.

Dented

WKR
I love threads like this. A ton of great input, experiences and responses.

So, should we start a discussion about the best oil to use in your hunting vehicle of choice and which caliber rifle to carry? 🤣🤣🤣

uncastan

FNG
Go out and drive every model you might have interest in. The majority of half tons do just fine on forest service roads and areas you might be exploring. They'll take you 90% of the places a mid-size truck will. I say purchase for what you'll use the vehicle for 80% of the time, not 20. Good luck, the market is ridiculous right now.

I vote full size. I drive a F150 with 4 doors and a 6.5 ft bed. It’s a long truck to maneuver but my legs get me through the tough trails. I have spent a bunch of nights in the back and the added room is nice. The extra room in the cab is nice to throw stuff into when you hike out and it’s dark and you just want to crawl in bed. It also halls a lot of stuff for family vacations. As mentioned before, dust does sneak in the cracks of the canopy but you can add some extra weather stripping and it’s not too bad. Are you old enough for the bump-up canopy yet? I’m almost there.
Bump-up canopy is in my future.
I have posted in other threads, I have a rail system that supports a sleeping platform in the bed of my F150 and it takes some flexibility to crawl onto the platform with the tailgate up.
A little more clearance from the canopy would make that a lot easier.
Having coolers and black and yellow bins underneath the platform makes it always available for sleeping or getting out of the rain.

They are a tool. And because they are a tool, a single tool doesn't excel for everything. So, either have multiple tools to cover all situations........or pick the one that has the least amount of tradeoffs for everything you use a truck for.

That wasn't the truck, that was the darn "automatic" transmission. I absolutely HATE automatic transmissions. Doesn't matter which one, none of them upshift or downshift when I want or expect them to, and constantly shift when I don't want them to. Gosh, doing 80 on the interstate empty on a 1% up grade and the transmission just decides that it wants to downshift for no good reason. Hate them. Love my manuals.
My 2006 Tacoma was 6sp manual.
Worst gearing of any manual I've ever owned.
6th was too short to be a cruising gear (2400rpm at 75mph) and reverse was too tall to reverse up any sort of slope...I had to go 4lo to avoid roasting the clutch.
Toyota was not engineering for any sort of practical use.

Full size

I was in a similar situation last year/this year. Except mid-size wasn't even a consideration after hunting in my buddy's tacoma a few times.

Ended up going '23 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 10-speed SCREW 6.5' bed with a Snugtop Rebel. My Roll-A-Cot fits perfectly in the bed and spans over the wheel well. It's almost too comfortable. Put the amp bed step on and it's pretty easy to get in and out of. And I get 21 MPG from house to trailhead...for now.

Do need to figure out dust.

OP
huntsd

huntsd

WKR
good news is I really appreciate all the feedback

bad news its split right down the middle haha half full size half mid

I just downsized from an F150 to a Tacoma.

I had zero issues with the F150, the room was great. However, I've always preferred smaller vehicles. The reason I bought the F150 was because I thought I was gonna do the camper thing... two trips with a camper and I was longing to go back to my tent(trust me, the tent accommodations are high end with Mondokings/megamats, plush sleeping bags and full sized pillows so we didn't want for much). It wasn't that it didn't pull the camper well... I just hated going into a new place and having to worry about finding the perfect spot for the camper. If I can drive in there with my truck, I can find a place to set up a tent or sleep in the bed. Plus the reduced fuel economy dragging that thing everywhere.

Other than the summer trips with the family it spent most of its life driving me to and from work. I don't have a boat, I don't have a camper, I don't have animals. I don't tow. Maybe one day I'll buy a quad for hunting, in that case the Tacoma should pull that with no problem. Dump runs or Home Depot runs, the Tacoma should also handle that.

Another reason was that it was a 2021 with 80k on the odometer because I worked 45 miles away... while it was only 4 days a week, that's ~18k a year just driving to and from work alone... add in hunting/fishing/camping trips and its an easy 25k a year if not more. I now work 18 miles from the house, so its nice to reset the odometer with something that's only gonna see 10-12k a year including my fun trips.

I did opt for the 6' bed due to camping gear. I have no regrets moving back to a mid-size.

For you, I'd stick with mid-size. If I didn't have a family, a full size single cab with a 6ft bed might be in the consideration too. I think those look super cool, but that's not a realistic possibility for me for quite a few more years. Theres a guy at work that has a white later model F250 single cab. It looks damn good.

Sorry for the rambling response!

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
It really comes down to your hunting style and family needs. I often hike back to my F150 after dark and don’t want to set up a tent. The next morning or that night we may relocate and having my sleeping arrangements ready to go is nice when you’re tired and it’s dark.

On family adventures we are hauling multiple kids, a dog, tents, coolers, paddle boards, etc and a midsize wouldn’t accommodate everything.

I had an 1989 Toyota pickup and absolutely loved it. However, my family outgrew it and while it could get more places than my Ford, my boots can get me more places than either.

If you’re a single guy, you can probably get away with a midsize without issue.

Jmanley13

FNG
I am in the market for a new truck. I am torn between mid and full size (1/2 ton). Would appreciate some input. Some info about my hunting style:

-I do not use side by sides or tow anything (truck needs to be trail worthily to get me to my spots)
-sleep in the back of the truck. will put a camper shell on
-all hunts are DIY western
-all hunts are solo or with max 1 other person

I am leaning towards a Tacoma since they aren't as wide a full size and would seem to be better on 2 track roads, tight trails ect..
Unless you are well under 6' you won't fit in most short bed trucks.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I would consider a something similar to a 1st Gen tundra- smaller then the newer ones but bigger then tacomas- I think its the perfect size but YMMV Also you would have some funds left over to 'bulletproof' the truck and get all the upgrades etc set anyway you want. 1 major downside is the turning radius drives me nuts sometimes.

My Opinion is Full size with a topper hands down. Had a Tacoma I sold after about 3 months of driving because unless you are a midget they are the most uncomfortable vehicle to ride/drive for anything more than about 30 miles at a time. Not to mention they are gutless and gas milage is just as bad as a full size.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
I have a ford raptor, it's not the ticket for western hunting. It's fine for all the states in tornado alley but smaller vehicles are more handy for the country that's west of Denver.

For whatever that's worth.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My 2006 Tacoma was 6sp manual.
Worst gearing of any manual I've ever owned.
6th was too short to be a cruising gear (2400rpm at 75mph) and reverse was too tall to reverse up any sort of slope...I had to go 4lo to avoid roasting the clutch.
Toyota was not engineering for any sort of practical use.
I've always wanted a 6th gear in my '89 4x4 on the highway. I'm constantly wanting to shift to a 6th gear even after 35 years of driving it. When the engine is running 3300 rpm's at 80, it just seems to be begging for that 6th gear. I sure wish it had it.