Hunting Tripod/spotter & Rifle rest recommendations?

Im looking for an affordable tripod to use for hunting/shooting off that's not really heavy but has decent stability to use to shoot off.
i have been eyeing the Leofoto LS 324c with the LH 40 ball head. Any downside to this setup for both my spotter and rifle?

pc3

WKR
Another option;

Slik 700DX then replace the head it comes with the Sirui 40 ?? ball head, MDT make some Mloc acra plates...if you have a rifle equipped with the Mloc forend.

I have the tripod, yet to buy the sirui head, I've a couple of Ruger precision rim fires I'd like to add the Mloc acra paltes too. will be a good set up for bunnies etc. ion the summer when the grass is long.

More $$ visit shadow tech's webiste ?? they use the slik 700DX and modify it a bit then add a hog saddle or pig saddle, but your strating to get up in price.

OP
Mxracer532
Another option;

Slik 700DX then replace the head it comes with the Sirui 40 ?? ball head, MDT make some Mloc acra plates...if you have a rifle equipped with the Mloc forend.

I have the tripod, yet to buy the sirui head, I've a couple of Ruger precision rim fires I'd like to add the Mloc acra paltes too. will be a good set up for bunnies etc. ion the summer when the grass is long.

More $$ visit shadow tech's webiste ?? they use the slik 700DX and modify it a bit then add a hog saddle or pig saddle, but your strating to get up in price.
Problem with the slik or shadowtechs is they are heavy compared to the Leofoto.

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking for an affordable tripod to use for hunting/shooting off that's not really heavy but has decent stability to use to shoot off.
i have been eyeing the Leofoto LS 324c with the LH 40 ball head. Any downside to this setup for both my spotter and rifle?
I have that exact setup. It work/ pretty sturdy to shoot off.but a little on the heavier side for long hike . And part department suck..I rip one of the rubber twist grip and email since summer 2018 and finally got a response with a replacement part summer 2019. After several month I recieve replacement part, but it for the wrong tripod. Sent multiple email since summer of last year and no response. Pretty much giving up..

Attachments

• 20200422_194128.jpg
    20200422_194128.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 55
OP
Mxracer532
I have that exact setup. It work/ pretty sturdy to shoot off.but a little on the heavier side for long hike . And part department suck..I rip one of the rubber twist grip and email since summer 2018 and finally got a response with a replacement part summer 2019. After several month I recieve replacement part, but it for the wrong tripod. Sent multiple email since summer of last year and no response. Pretty much giving up..

That's the issue I'm running into is anything that is a solid shootoff Tripod is too heavy and anything that's light enough for a longer hike is just too light to shoot off. Also it's either you spend $1000+ to get an RRS or go cheap and it's just not good enough. Seems like there just isn't an in between.
With that said, if you were to do it all over again would you go with the setup you got?

pc3

WKR
Problem with the slik or shadowtechs is they are heavy compared to the Leofoto.

Your right its not packable......I originally bought the 700dx to use as my tripod for the spotter, I was thinking I'd pack it, well I was soon in touch with Camera land and telling them to throw a Promaster 525 in with my spotter order.

You nearly have to buy a Kifari Stryker to haul the slik 700DX :D

OP
Mxracer532
Your right its not packable......I originally bought the 700dx to use as my tripod for the spotter, I was thinking I'd pack it, well I was soon in touch with Camera land and telling them to throw a Promaster 525 in with my spotter order.

You nearly have to buy a Kifari Stryker to haul the slik 700DX :D
How is the Promaster for double duty???

pc3

WKR
How is the Promaster for double duty???

I haven't tried it for shooting only used with my spotter...............It also doesn't have the right head on it. I only have the scph 20 promaster head on it. It works really well with the spotter. I am not sure it is HD enough for shooting off, someone else might be able to chime in if they have had experience in this regard.

I am also yet to use the Slik 700 dx for this as well as i need to purchase the new head.

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
That's the issue I'm running into is anything that is a solid shootoff Tripod is too heavy and anything that's light enough for a longer hike is just too light to shoot off. Also it's either you spend $1000+ to get an RRS or go cheap and it's just not good enough. Seems like there just isn't an in between.
With that said, if you were to do it all over again would you go with the setup you got?
Have not personally handle a rrs tripod. But base of spec. These are pretty similar in weight. Leofoto with head is right around 4.11lb. If I have to do over again not should I would buy . Since I dont use enough. But so far material and quality is good. Just dont expect service if/ when you need it.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shoot with my promaster 525. I actually make arca mounts for attaching rifles to arca style heads. So I do at least know a bit about shooting off tripods. Ball heads are definitely best for shooting off of, but I use my Sirui VA 5 head to shoot of of if hunting because I love it for glassing.

OP
Mxracer532
I shoot with my promaster 525. I actually make arca mounts for attaching rifles to arca style heads. So I do at least know a bit about shooting off tripods. Ball heads are definitely best for shooting off of, but I use my Sirui VA 5 head to shoot of of if hunting because I love it for glassing.
How much is in a setup like what your using?

Picked up a Davros system from a guy on here that I am going to try with my Promaster. I have not had a chance to mount it up yet. I'll report on it once I get it set up and do some shooting off from it.

I think Tripod was around $180 for promax carbin fober. i got the scope fluid head for about $85 i think, which is reasonable. i havent gottem a rifle clamp rest. i want to say those got expensive, maybe 2 or 300? sounds like you got a good deal.

Take a look at Two Vets Sporting Goods. They have several carbon tripods that are more affordable than a RRS. I like the ballhead for glassing, but prefer a leveling base for shooting. The ball head can just flop over more than I like with a rifle mounted to it, and the leveling base allows for really minute adjustments. If you need to get really steep angles up or down, the ballhead is the way to go.

I have the NoName and the No Name Junior from Two Vets, a leveling base on the NoName and a ball head on the No Name Junior. Haven't shot off of the Junior yet, but the full sized one with a leveling base and the RRS Vyce is the cat's meow for reaching out. I've taken it out to 850 yards from standing.

lak2004

WKR
I paid $179 for the tripod and the ball head it came with. It was on a good sale From cameralandNY

think I got the siruiVA5 head on sale for $135View attachment 192276View attachment 192277
Are you still shooting off the promaster 525? I have one that I've used for the last few years but have been wanting a tripod I could use prone and seated with heavier duty legs like the leofoto 324 or 283 series.

Do you feel like it’s quite slow to get the tripod level for the shot? That’s the one thing I dislike about the va 5 head is the fact that there isn’t a way to tilt left or right to make for a quicker shot.

lak2004

WKR
Do you feel like it’s quite slow to get the tripod level for the shot? That’s the one thing I dislike about the va 5 head is the fact that there isn’t a way to tilt left or right to make for a quicker shot.
I have the same issue and usually run the ball head for shooting. But if I'm shooting in a relatively flat spit where I can move the tripod and have time for a shot the va5 can work fine

chindits

WKR
After trying to keep up with a grazing elk herd across the draw from me, I have focused on shooting off my tripod platform that my spotting scope is attached to. I’m not clamped in. I’m just looking for speed transitioning from identifying the bull to shooting the bull. No name jr.

IMG_5029.jpegIMG_5030.jpeg