WTB Hunting Pack

Drewdog10

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a used pack under $200 that I could use for a backpacking trip at least 3 days. I have never gone backpacking so I will look at any brand.

Bump79

WKR
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Looking for a used pack under $200 that I could use for a backpacking trip at least 3 days. I have never gone backpacking so I will look at any brand.
A backpacking trip is pretty generic - could you give more details?

• What time of year and where?
  • How much water will you need to pack?
  • Elk or deer hunting?
These all will affect your size of pack needed substantially. If you're mule deer hunting in a dry area - then you're going to need optics and a lot of water. If you're September elk hunting and there's water available, you could slim down. If it's late season or high country you'll need more clothes.

If you're just looking for an all around pack you'll want to size for the larger hunt. Then cinch it down.

OP
D

Drewdog10

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A backpacking trip is pretty generic - could you give more details?

• What time of year and where?
  • How much water will you need to pack?
  • Elk or deer hunting?
These all will affect your size of pack needed substantially. If you're mule deer hunting in a dry area - then you're going to need optics and a lot of water. If you're September elk hunting and there's water available, you could slim down. If it's late season or high country you'll need more clothes.

If you're just looking for an all around pack you'll want to size for the larger hunt. Then cinch it down.

Usually around Sept-late Oct. I have no idea how much water you’re supposed to pack because I’ve never done before. Hopefully I’d like to hunt both but I’ve never killed either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Usually around Sept-late Oct. I have no idea how much water you’re supposed to pack because I’ve never done before. Hopefully I’d like to hunt both but I’ve never killed either

Where are you located? I suggest getting something inexpensive and doing some general backpack camping before diving in head first. Even if it's not far, do some trial runs. You'll get an understanding from there.

OP
D

Drewdog10

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? I suggest getting something inexpensive and doing some general backpack camping before diving in head first. Even if it's not far, do some trial runs. You'll get an understanding from there.

Central California but hopefully I’d like to draw out of state tags to hunt eventually.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm a Scout leader, Eagle Scout, Backpacking Merit Badge Counselor.

My bargain suggestions to kids generally are Colorado made Mountainsmith packs.

These share a lot of design similarities with the Kifaru packs that came later and show up in the classified posts here on Rokslide. They have the ability to fit people of a wide range of sizes. Most recent example was a Frostfire II for a 5' tall 60lb Scout, the torso length was at the very minimum, luckily the belt fit that tiny waist. I had to adjust where the straps from the top of the aluminum stays attached to the shoulder straps, but got that working. The padding on the back was decomposed, crumbling, but, velcro on the mesh allows it to be removed and I replaced it by cutting a $10 closed cell foam sleeping pad to match the original. The pack shipped from eBay was $50. Frostfire, Crestone, a few other models could work. You don't have to or want to fill these, but insulation is puffy and fills that volume. Compression straps cinch down to stabilize loads. You don't have gear yet, don't know what you'll be carrying, it will change every trip.

I bought the same Frostfire II in '94 new. I'm 5'10". I gave it to a friend who is 6'8", torso length fit him too.

If the color is too bold, spray paint it.

I run Legacy Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Granite Gear packs now, but for a first rig, Mountainsmith is a great start, and the remainder of your $200 budget can be used for other gear.

As your needs/wants grow beyond, please consider donating to a local Scout troop.

Here are a few eBay examples of the vintage of packs I mean, identified by the patch label.

Give me a shout if you have questions. Glad to help.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How central? Central coast, central valley? Where are you going? What tags do you have? I'm on the central coast and have similar bona fides to the above poster. How old are you? How tall are you? What is your fitness level and what do you currently do for fitness?

Quality internal frame packs are a dime a dozeon on FB marketplace. The only constraint is going to be fit. I'm too tall for anything from any sporting goods store, so I have to have gucci gear.

If I was me (and me only), knowing what I know now, I would stretch the budget to $300 and get an old 26" Kifaru Duplex frame and a USMC FILBE bag until I had more experience and knew which bag I wanted on that frame, or multiple bags.

But, for anyone else that doesn't have weird dimensions like me, spend the time to learn about pack fit, and find something under $100 locally to try out and ensure that it's not busted and that it fits you. Then sell that and upgrade after you have dozens of miles on the cheap pack, and know that you want to keep doing this.

Some may say that nicer packs keep you in the field longer, and won't turn you off of backpacking, which is true. But I spent the better part of the 90s and 2000s doing death marches in the worst inherited and thrift store packs from the 70s and 80s, and it didn't turn me off.

OP
D

Drewdog10

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How central? Central coast, central valley? Where are you going? What tags do you have? I'm on the central coast and have similar bona fides to the above poster. How old are you? How tall are you? What is your fitness level and what do you currently do for fitness?

Quality internal frame packs are a dime a dozeon on FB marketplace. The only constraint is going to be fit. I'm too tall for anything from any sporting goods store, so I have to have gucci gear.

If I was me (and me only), knowing what I know now, I would stretch the budget to $300 and get an old 26" Kifaru Duplex frame and a USMC FILBE bag until I had more experience and knew which bag I wanted on that frame, or multiple bags.

But, for anyone else that doesn't have weird dimensions like me, spend the time to learn about pack fit, and find something under $100 locally to try out and ensure that it's not busted and that it fits you. Then sell that and upgrade after you have dozens of miles on the cheap pack, and know that you want to keep doing this.

Some may say that nicer packs keep you in the field longer, and won't turn you off of backpacking, which is true. But I spent the better part of the 90s and 2000s doing death marches in the worst inherited and thrift store packs from the 70s and 80s, and it didn't turn me off.

I’m Central Valley and hunting D9, I’m 17 and 5’11. I’m pretty fit and love to hike. So do you think I should try and stretch my budget and get a frame then find other packs?