Hunting near US/Mexico border

Had a couple mules (camo clad carrying big packs) walk within 25 yards a year ago. Was up in a small tree, they never saw me. Then they laid down in a wash about 75 yards out and talked for the next hour. Screwed up my evening hunt. I stayed in the tree until dark and snuck out of there.

Have had 3 come into our quail camp years ago and intimidate my wife while I was off coyote calling. I got back to camp at dark gave ‘em the heave ho….thumbs out of here sign. They left.

Hate the border BS. Sure screws up a very beautiful part of the world (in December and January anyway).

schmalzy

WKR
Especially when you add in the only known water source for miles is what they can pack.

Badass country that I want to go back to though.

Agreed on both parts. It’s beautifully rugged country with its own unique challenges. Paradoxically feeling a ton of solitude but also knowing that you aren’t the only person in those canyons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
The 70's and 80's were the best south of Tucson. More trash than the landfill now, it's a real bummer. Friends owned a ranch over by Sasabe, could not even go to town without getting broke into.

Badass country that I want to go back to though.
Agreed. I hunted southwest of Tucson this fall and, as someone from the east coast, it's like hunting on another planet. Absolutely loved it. At least at the time I was there (October 27 - Nov 1), there were no biting insects of any kind either which to me is a completely foreign concept.

It was about 85 degrees and bone dry. All of the vegetation wanted to harm you or rip the clothes off your body. Things that looked like normal plants were really just weird forms of cacti. From my glassing spot right above my head there were two F-16s doing air combat maneuvers with flares and everything. Saw about 35 deer on the first day and a lot of javelina which I'd never seen before.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Agreed. I hunted southwest of Tucson this fall and, as someone from the east coast, it's like hunting on another planet. Absolutely loved it. At least at the time I was there (October 27 - Nov 1), there were no biting insects of any kind either which to me is a completely foreign concept.

It was about 85 degrees and bone dry. All of the vegetation wanted to harm you or rip the clothes off your body. Things that looked like normal plants were really just weird forms of cacti. From my glassing spot right above my head there were two F-16s doing air combat maneuvers with flares and everything. Saw about 35 deer on the first day and a lot of javelina which I'd never seen before.
I was down there the first week of December, which was perfect for my N. Utah ass.

First thing I did was touch a swaro cactus. I had never seen one that close. We went for a hike looking for sheep and my wifes uncle looked at me and said "everything in this area wants to poke you or bite you." He wasnt lying.

We were right next to the military base and had planes doing maneuvers all day. We watched A10 doing gun runs, it was cool. They would come in over us, drop down and then about a minute or two later you could hear them shoot. We used the sound to put the sneak on some sheep.

If my wife would come with, I would move down there.

I hunted Arivica area about 30 years ago for Coues deer. The first AM I left to hunt my wife informed of the strange pattern of traffic going by our campsite before first light. Obviously not nearly the mess it is today but being in Southern AZ requires to have your sixth sense working. Sad time in my opinion because there's too many beautiful desert acres being trashed.

OP
505Wapiti

505Wapiti

WKR
Appreciate all the replies, fellas. I’ve heard these same type of stories for years and have always thought for the most part mind your own business, stay alert, be diligent as I always am when hunting and all will be fine. However, in the current state of all things southern border related it just has a different feel regarding potential “what ifs”. Good to hear some recent experiences. All that said, I’m hunting and minding my own business, and if someone wants to get on the wrong end of that then that’s their poor decision. Hopefully it’s a non issue and just good fodder for a hunting forum.

I've hunted the Mexico, New Mexico, Arizona border a few times and have always found plenty evidence of traffic but luckily never had any trouble myself. In my experience there was not a day that went by without some kind of air traffic which was kind of a pain, otherwise I had a good time! I have heard from a co-worker about a situation with foot traffic and border patrol, that ended with a slight bit of drama.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Hey I know right where you were! Fun area to hunt for sure. Did you have a whitetail or mule deer tag?

Hey I know right where you were! Fun area to hunt for sure. Did you have a whitetail or mule deer tag?
I was there for coues deer and got one. 380 yard shot off of my tripod from one very steep hill to another. I was already a believer in sturdy shooting tripods but that reinforced it.

Mojave

WKR
How far do you need to get north of the border before this traffic thins out and dilutes? It would make sense that right along the border would be thick with trouble. But once they get across the river and to wherever the drugs are going to disperse, do the REALLY violent/cartel ones stop?
North of I-10.

We had mule issues near Fort Stockton in 2020. Friends hunted the New Mexico bootheel and had problems every day. I just don't apply for those hunts anymore.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I hunted Arivica area about 30 years ago for Coues deer. The first AM I left to hunt my wife informed of the strange pattern of traffic going by our campsite before first light. Obviously not nearly the mess it is today but being in Southern AZ requires to have your sixth sense working. Sad time in my opinion because there's too many beautiful desert acres being trashed.
I hunt/camp/scout/guide the Arivaca surrounding units every year for the last 5 years. It’s nowhere near as bad as it was when I was younger visiting those units as a nonresident. There are still problems every year, and you can def still find trash and caches/stashes in areas, but honestly it’s not been bad at all overall.

I know some guys with some minor theft problems and the larger camp sites right off the highway sometimes have issues.

In general those guys want nothing to do with hunters. I spend at least 60 nights there per year minimum. Always camping in either a tent or just a sleeping pad/bag. I’ve had hundreds of sightings and dozens of “run ins”. I always call the border patrol and let them know and they are either there in trucks within an hour or the helicopters fly over.

The VAST VAST VAST majority of them aren’t up here to murder you and steal from you like the media portrays. They are either trying to make money for their families by smuggling people and drugs over, or they are heading in for farm work for a couple months to return with enough cash to last them 8-10 months in Mexico. I’m not advocating or sympathizing for them in any way. Especially when it comes to drugs and human trafficking. All I’m saying is, keep hunting, call the border patrol, and be smart.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I was there for coues deer and got one. 380 yard shot off of my tripod from one very steep hill to another. I was already a believer in sturdy shooting tripods but that reinforced it.
Yes sir. People don’t realize how much of the terrain is mountains and canyons. It’s deceiving until you spend time there. You think you are close to these little deer until you range them and they always seem to be 350-650 yards away.

will.d

FNG
Following this. I've considered purchasing some property down there for hunting.

holder171

FNG
You’re not hearing about any of the bad stuff that goes on there because those people just aren’t around to talk about it now

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Well said.

Goes without saying but the heavy travel corridors will have a negative impact on the hunting. If you’re seeing a ton of trash and fresh foot prints it’s pretty self explanatory. If you find water and food cached I’d just keep moving along.

I know I’m rambling but keeping a strong extra supply of emergency water and some chow in the truck could be a life saving gift for someone.

I understand your humanity, but you've miss the legality of the situation.
If you aren't a CBP agent or other LEO, don't offer food, water, ride or any other assistance. I know it sounds cruel, but don't even offer medical help.
An illegal alien IS a felon.
Assisting one can get you charged with "aiding and abetting a felon", which itself is a felony!
Also consider that if you find a "straggler" and decide to stop and help, you may get ganged up on.

Now, I don't know that a CBP or LEO would arrest and charge you.I suppose it would be at the discretion of the officer, but you need to be aware that there are some who would willingly do so.
People who aren't familiar with the border don't understand the lengths smugglers will go to in moving their contraband or people.
Just like the blindingly stupid kids supporting Hamas on campuses across the country, there are idealistic, clean cut, well dressed young people who have been recruited by the cartels to assist them in smuggling operations.

I'm not trying to scare you or change your mind. I'm just trying to make you aware of some of the downsides.
The wife and me sometimes "snowbird" in S. Texas and stay with our youngest kid.
The house is a mere 50 miles from the border. We often have tracks where they cross the property. We know most of the CBP agents because they are constantly on the lookout and I've watched them track "bodies" from a CBP helicopter!

"Situational awareness" is your friend!

schmalzy

WKR
I understand your humanity, but you've miss the legality of the situation.
If you aren't a CBP agent or other LEO, don't offer food, water, ride or any other assistance. I know it sounds cruel, but don't even offer medical help.
An illegal alien IS a felon.
Assisting one can get you charged with "aiding and abetting a felon", which itself is a felony!
Also consider that if you find a "straggler" and decide to stop and help, you may get ganged up on.

Now, I don't know that a CBP or LEO would arrest and charge you.I suppose it would be at the discretion of the officer, but you need to be aware that there are some who would willingly do so.
People who aren't familiar with the border don't understand the lengths smugglers will go to in moving their contraband or people.
Just like the blindingly stupid kids supporting Hamas on campuses across the country, there are idealistic, clean cut, well dressed young people who have been recruited by the cartels to assist them in smuggling operations.

I'm not trying to scare you or change your mind. I'm just trying to make you aware of some of the downsides.
The wife and me sometimes "snowbird" in S. Texas and stay with our youngest kid.
The house is a mere 50 miles from the border. We often have tracks where they cross the property. We know most of the CBP agents because they are constantly on the lookout and I've watched them track "bodies" from a CBP helicopter!

"Situational awareness" is your friend!

I didn’t have the stomach to tell the 70 year old man and his early teen grandkids too bad. I’ve got a lot of things I’ll have to answer for one day, but it’s not going to be for not giving someone water when they needed it.

If someone wants to come and charge me for it so be it.

Situational awareness is exactly what I spoke of in my post. I completely agree that helping someone could put you at risk, but I’ll argue that not helping someone in a life threatening situation puts YOU at risk for something greater.