Hunting near US/Mexico border

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 46b west desert sheep tag on the AZ mex border. Camped down there for 2 weeks chasing rams in the cabeza prieta. It doesn't get more remote then that

MattB

WKR
Well I just rode my bicycle 80 miles or so all over those dirt roads near the border in the same areas I'd hunt. I didn't encounter anything that would even get close to killing me. Funny thing is there's a lot of people doing the same thing all the time and still nobody dead yet :)
Just accept the fact that the people who watch FOX news know way more about the border situation than people who actually spend time down there.

I hunted hogs outside of El Paso near marfa and was stopped by 3 or 4 border patrol on the highway on my way back to the air bnb around 1 am.
Non resident drivers license with a rental car registered in California, rifle and multiple coolers. I explained myself to the agent and was on my way.
I was pulled over again the next day after leaving the ranch that afternoon. The agents were friendly and I inquired about the area.
The rancher failed to mention that the main road to the ranch was a major travel corridor and the border patrol monitored it heavily.
I gave the agent a fist bump and departed with no issue.

I also did not see a single hog.

You know, it's almost like some opining here have never had to professionally deal with violence and the nature of transnational organized crime, or watch the evolution of cartels training their raw recruits with the brainwashing of literally eating the flesh of their colleagues who couldn't make it through training - sometimes raw, sometimes boiled alive. The easy day is when they just have to beat their friend to death with a pipe because they went into town without permission. That's not sicario-level training anymore, that's basic, entry-level stuff.

You think this is all some sort of game? That they're reasonable people?

It's one thing to hunt down there on the border, armed, and cautious to avoid trouble. That's calculated, conscious risk. It's another thing to go bicycling. At present, the cartels enforce their own not to screw with the gringos - but that is an exceedingly thin veneer. It's called false normalcy, and it's just a matter of time before it gets shattered accidentally or through machismo calculation. At any single point that veneer can get shattered, by one of those armed psychopathic 17yos chasing a runaway mule and run right into you in the process, who will smoke your ass as fast as the 15yo girl they're chasing. Or they decide they can get away with carjacking you right out of your $80k truck, or waiting for you to conveniently come back from a hunt with your keys. Or you get caught in gang calculation and get slaughtered as part of a false flag, one cartel trying to get another cartel wasted by the USG by having your death attributed to them.

Every one of these examples I've given has happened dozens of times south of the border - anyone thinking it absolutely will not happen here is whistling past the graveyard. It is ungoverned space, and needs to be taken goddamned seriously.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I had a 46b west desert sheep tag on the AZ mex border. Camped down there for 2 weeks chasing rams in the cabeza prieta. It doesn't get more remote then that
Pretty cool country in there isn’t it? A patch of desert that doesn’t exist like it anywhere else. The lack of or very very limited cattle left it mostly natural vegetation wise unlike the rest of our desert down here. The amount of cryptobiotic soil in there is mind boggling compared to the remnants found elsewhere. Too bad you have to look at all the darts and the rest of the junk. I don’t think the amount of Limberbush and Elephant tree there exist in those quantities anywhere else.

manitou1

WKR
Something many of us have done down here is to leave a milk crate full of old plastic jugs filled water and a small ice chest with random surplus food that you aren’t counting on for yourself. That way if you’re lucky they might not break into your truck looking for it and you never gave anything to anyone, they just took it. As disturbing as some of these activities being talked about are just remember if people were getting hurt or killed by all these folks coming up you’d hear about it. They don’t want anything like that to happen because it would kill their livelihood. They do their best to steer clear of you and vice versa. Mutual understanding.
Wow... aiding and abetting.

Weldor

WKR
Aiding and abetting for sure. Even with human nature, trying to do the right thing is dicey down there. I can give you real examples that have happen to our group years back. Had a illegal alien walk into camp on the Buenos Aires federal refuge. It was very cold, about 16 degrees. We sat him by the fire ,gave him some coffee. He told us in broken english to call the BP, we did. It took over 12 hrs for them to respond, yet their border station is about 2 miles away. When they got there they threatened us with aiding and abetting a felon so on and so forth. Lucky for us one of our party was a Fed drug cop. The second time in the same area a pregnant woman and her group of illegal's 6 or so came in and request the same deal call the BP, so we did. This time we had a game and fish group with us. BP had a Helicopter come down and fly her to TMC in Tucson, on your
tax dollars. TMC the only level one trauma center went broke in the late 90's because stuff like that happening everyday 365. My credo is ENTER at YOUR OWN RISK. I've spent plenty of time down there the 40 plus years.and it has changed alot and not for the good. Worked on most of the ranches and the refuge. I will say in the 80's when coca cola owned the ranch it was a better place.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Wow... aiding and abetting.
Yeah but it helps to keep them from busting out a window in your truck. It’s not done out of the goodness of my heart :rolleyes: After a couple of lefties got busted for some real “aiding and abetting” there was huge lefty outcry that “humanitarian aid is not a crime” and that pretty much ended anyone getting arrested for “aiding and abetting” illegals.

bpa556

FNG
Every one of these examples I've given has happened dozens of times south of the border - anyone thinking it absolutely will not happen here is whistling past the graveyard. It is ungoverned space, and needs to be taken goddamned seriously.

South of the border is not the US. Exactly NONE of those scenarios have happened on the US side. It’s not ungoverned space.

The cartels exist to make money. The killing of the occasional American LEO by a junky bandit is an unfortunate cost of doing business. This is understood by them and us.

Killing American civilians brings incredible heat and cartels go to great lengths to avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpa556

FNG
Aiding and abetting for sure. Even with human nature, trying to do the right thing is dicey down there. I can give you real examples that have happen to our group years back. Had a illegal alien walk into camp on the Buenos Aires federal refuge. It was very cold, about 16 degrees. We sat him by the fire ,gave him some coffee. He told us in broken english to call the BP, we did. It took over 12 hrs for them to respond, yet their border station is about 2 miles away. When they got there they threatened us with aiding and abetting a felon so on and so forth. Lucky for us one of our party was a Fed drug cop. The second time in the same area a pregnant woman and her group of illegal's 6 or so came in and request the same deal call the BP, so we did. This time we had a game and fish group with us. BP had a Helicopter come down and fly her to TMC in Tucson, on your
tax dollars. TMC the only level one trauma center went broke in the late 90's because stuff like that happening everyday 365. My credo is ENTER at YOUR OWN RISK. I've spent plenty of time down there the 40 plus years.and it has changed alot and not for the good. Worked on most of the ranches and the refuge. I will say in the 80's when coca cola owned the ranch it was a better place.

The “border station” you’re referring to is the Port of Entry in Sasabe. They are NOT Border Patrol and have no jurisdiction outside the port.

The nearest Border Patrol station is Tucson,
and it’s a fair piece down to the refuge.

bpa556

FNG
Don’t leave anything you don’t want stolen in your truck or camper and DON’T LOCK them.

If some upitty aliens come by, they’ll take some beans and water and you won’t have to replace damaged doors/windows….

South of the border is not the US. Exactly NONE of those scenarios have happened on the US side. It’s not ungoverned space.

The cartels exist to make money. The killing of the occasional American LEO by a junky bandit is an unfortunate cost of doing business. This is understood by them and us.

Killing American civilians brings incredible heat and cartels go to great lengths to avoid it.

It is ungoverned space.

You carrying a gun to work in that area does not change this fact - you're trying to govern it, and are failing because of national policies that have turned it into ungoverned space. But it is most certainly not governed.

Not by anything more than force and fear, and who can deploy more of it to any given point, at any given time, on any given day. Law does not rule there. It only attempts to, intermittently.

As to killing civilians, it seems you missed my point about the dozen different ways it could happen by accident, unintentional incident of wrong place/wrong time, or as part of a calculated false flag. Most importantly, you seem to have missed my point about it just being a matter of time before the norms on the other side of the border emerge up here.

Separately, but very much related - if you don't think it's already happened, with cartel norms and dominance moving north, go interview Crips, Bloods, or any other formerly dominant gang, and ask them how many of their homies have been buried by cartel-organized Hispanic gangs up here.

They almost don't exist anymore - that's how dominant the cartels are. North of the border.

Mark.c

FNG
I hunt near the border in San Diego County CA. Here we get a lot of military age male Chinese and African illegals. Most just want to get to a highway where they have an arranged pick-up on Tick Tok and won’t mess with you. Carry a handgun. Take a buddy. Never help the illegals. Have BP and Fish & Wildlife numbers programmed in your phone to report them. Be cautious and avoid the known smuggling routes.

schmalzy

WKR
I hunt near the border in San Diego County CA. Here we get a lot of military age male Chinese and African illegals. Most just want to get to a highway where they have an arranged pick-up on Tick Tok and won’t mess with you. Carry a handgun. Take a buddy. Never help the illegals. Have BP and Fish & Wildlife numbers programmed in your phone to report them. Be cautious and avoid the known smuggling routes.

I was duck hunting near the border about 15 years ago and had a group come up on me, but they definitely weren’t Chinese or Africans. Thats pretty wild.

Were they on their own or being brought in with a coyote?

Mark.c

FNG
I was duck hunting near the border about 15 years ago and had a group come up on me, but they definitely weren’t Chinese or Africans. Thats pretty wild.

Were they on their own or being brought in with a coyote?

Looked on their own. I did not see any coyotes with them. Likely asylum seekers.

Weldor

WKR
The “border station” you’re referring to is the Port of Entry in Sasabe. They are NOT Border Patrol and have no jurisdiction outside the port.

The nearest Border Patrol station is Tucson,
and it’s a fair piece down to the refuge.

Correct, but you can't swing a dead cat without running into the bp tearing up the desert. Takes around 30-5 minutes the way they drive from Tucson, don't fool yourself.