Hunting near US/Mexico border

505Wapiti

WKR
I just drew a mule deer tag in a far SW New Mexico unit that borders Mexico. I have read a lot online about some of these units and some rather interesting encounters. Curious if anyone here on the Rok have had any issues or close encounters hunting units on the southern border?

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, you will most likely have some encounters. I have had many over the years. Usually glassing up young males packing big bags of drugs. If you leave them alone, they pretty much leave you alone. I have had them camp (lay up under a juniper tree for the night) 200 yards from me, even when they knew I was there.

My brother woke up to an assault rifle in his face in his sleeping bag in the middle of the night. Luckily it was border patrol thinking they had some drug smugglers and neither he nor they were trigger happy enough to shoot each other. That was actually the scariest experience.

I've hunted two seasons along the border in Arizona so far. The first year, we were really close to the border, and there was sign of illegals everywhere we went. We came across a lone female wearing camo, carrying the ubiquitous black water jug, crying, and asking for a ride. I gave her some water and food, and let the border patrol guys on horseback we saw earlier know where she was. Personally, I think there is an element of danger there, but I will be back for sure. Its pretty thick country in places, so its tough to use glass to avoid running into unexpected groups.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I hunt or guide and scout the border in AZ multiple times a year every year. Just be smart and leave them alone. There are some wild stories, guess I’ve been lucky with zero issues.

I hunted right on the Rio Grande in SW Texas years ago. Outfitter required you carry a sidearm at all times. We watched many illegals cross back and forth through the river. They all stayed far away from us, likely didn’t know we were there as we had a vantage point up on the bluff above the river. Never had an encounter and wouldn’t advise confronting anyone if you can avoid it. Just constantly be observant and aware of your surroundings with a plan if 💩 hits the fan. Border Patrol was always fairly close whether you were aware they were there or not.

schmalzy

WKR
Had a few instances over the years but no issues. As others have stated, don’t go looking for trouble and you should be fine.

If you’re crossing cattle guards/gates and need to get out of your truck make sure you take keys out of ignition and stay on alert. Never happened to me but have heard anecdotally from guys that have been carjacked this way.

Depending where you’re at, it may just be people looking to cross or it could be mules running product. You’ll be able to tell pretty quick. Stay out of valleys and easy travel corridors and you should miss most of them. If you see them assume they have someone with eyes on you. I tried to stay off ridge lines. I’d definitely make sure you have an inreach.

With all the being said, the border country can be ruggedly gorgeous and a hell of an adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas' efforts at closing the border is driving that traffic westward, so you may see more activity this year than prior years. Depending on the corridor, some of those places will have cartel members in LP/OPs on our side of the border, glassing and directing mule traffic. They genuinely desire to avoid contact with anyone, but they are armed - it would be a very good idea for you to also have something on you that clearly identifies you on-sight at a distance as a gringo deer hunter, and not la migra or any other law enforcement. That said, if you're good at your own mule deer glassing game, you'd have a good chance of seeing them before they see you. Then, just avoid them.

Another item to consider would be contacting a game warden in the region, and/or one of their wildlife biologists, and directly ask them if there are certain places they would recommend you not go, to avoid any of that cross-border traffic. If you've studied your maps/OnX in advance, it would also be a good opportunity to segue into discussing places you're considering hunting. Don't directly ask for good spots, but demonstrate you've studied the heck out of the area, and get their hot/cold thoughts on specific mountains, areas, etc. As long as it looks like you've done a lot of homework and aren't just asking where the big bucks are, they're generally helpful. But that discussion about cartel hot spots would probably make a great opener.

schmalzy

WKR
Texas' efforts at closing the border is driving that traffic westward, so you may see more activity this year than prior years. Depending on the corridor, some of those places will have cartel members in LP/OPs on our side of the border, glassing and directing mule traffic. They genuinely desire to avoid contact with anyone, but they are armed - it would be a very good idea for you to also have something on you that clearly identifies you on-sight at a distance as a gringo deer hunter, and not la migra or any other law enforcement. That said, if you're good at your own mule deer glassing game, you'd have a good chance of seeing them before they see you. Then, just avoid them.

Another item to consider would be contacting a game warden in the region, and/or one of their wildlife biologists, and directly ask them if there are certain places they would recommend you not go, to avoid any of that cross-border traffic. If you've studied your maps/OnX in advance, it would also be a good opportunity to segue into discussing places you're considering hunting. Don't directly ask for good spots, but demonstrate you've studied the heck out of the area, and get their hot/cold thoughts on specific mountains, areas, etc. As long as it looks like you've done a lot of homework and aren't just asking where the big bucks are, they're generally helpful. But that discussion about cartel hot spots would probably make a great opener.

Well said.

Goes without saying but the heavy travel corridors will have a negative impact on the hunting. If you’re seeing a ton of trash and fresh foot prints it’s pretty self explanatory. If you find water and food cached I’d just keep moving along.

I know I’m rambling but keeping a strong extra supply of emergency water and some chow in the truck could be a life saving gift for someone.

Sadler

WKR
If you run into people it’ll most likely be drug mules. Be aware of that and avoid them. Stay high to see groups before they see you and glass your vantage point before you hike up to it. Scouts are everywhere and if the high point has a commanding view of the area, there’s a good chance ones up there. Like mentioned before, those guys are normally armed. The mules aren’t always armed but treat them as if they are. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to contact the BP station in that area to let them know you’ll be out there either. It’ll either be Deming or Lordsburg Station depending on where you are. Lots of agents are hunters so hopefully you run into one that can give you some good info. Good luck man.

yfarm

WKR
Friend was on a lease on Old Mines Rd 50 miles west of Laredo on the river. Constant traffic through the 33k acre ranch, human and drug, Border Patrol always around. Trash, empty water jugs, clothing littering the trails from the river inland. Occasional encounters with migrants. Trail ran along the tick fence along the river, generally didn’t drive that as occasional harassing fire from across the river. Had the black helicopters come one night heading towards the river after hovering over the camp assume were looking for people.

Seth

WKR
Maybe I’m just naive, but I took my kids javelina hunting south of Lordsburg a couple of years ago. We stayed at a hotel and hunted from there daily. My wife and I both carried side arms, saw plenty of BP, and had 0 issues or sketchy encounters. Be aware of your surroundings, have an escape plan, and don’t invite trouble, same as anywhere else.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I have some experience hunting the So Cal and AZ boarder areas. At a boarder check station in CA the agent could see that I was coming back from hunting. She flagged me aside and we had an interesting conversation about what I saw when I was out, what I might run into when out there, what to do/how to handle encounters, and who to call first. She also said anytime I go out in the boarder areas I can let them know ahead of time where I'll be and for how long. She was very helpful and informative. Very serious about safety, recognizeing danger, and avoiding trouble too. Basically what has been said above is good advice.

I hunt southern Arizona regularly and will be in sw new mexico next year as well.
1. First off reach out to the local game wardens and find out what the story is on activity in the area.
2. Reach out to the local border patrol office and find out the contact numbers and any radio frequencies for contacting if you run into problems.
3. Absolutely expect to see multiple backpacks and trash from illegal immigrants in the area. I was finding between 20-50 backpacks a day in the arroyos south of Tucson this January
4. It is not uncommon to run into mules they may or may not be armed. Treat them as if they are.
5. Before you hike up to a ridge to glass from, scan it first and make sure BorTac or watchers for smugglers are not on top of the hills spotting.
6. At least in Tucson it's not uncommon to have heavy duty diesel trucks stolen and used for smuggling when you're out in the desert so make sure you have an alternate plan of getting out of your vehicle stolen. Kill switch, spot, airtag in case you are willing to go hunting. Have had this happen to two coworkers.
7. You will have overflights from border patrol or DEA on a regular basis.
8. Pick up any id's you find and turn them into border patrol. I found a half-dozen Guatemalan and Ecuadoran id's last January it looks like they're dumping them so when they get caught they cannot be id'd.

The last 2 years I've been on the Southern side of Tucson have been the worst for cartel activity I've seen to date. All the officers were surged to the border itself and were not patrolling interior. You will occasionally run into military grade surveillance vehicles parked with eyeballs on a stick glassing.

I have not decided how I'm gonna handle the New Mexico governor's BS with new firearms regulations but I don't go south of Tucson without being heavily armed.

I have found and called in bales twice, seen armed smugglers 3 times in the last six seasons and countless illegal groups so it can get a little sporty down there. They are not shy about cracking a round overhead to get you off of a hill that's looking into a route that they care about.

I love the area down there but it's a tragedy what it is turning into. The game wardens in Arizona have been the most responsive on providing realistic information about what activities going on.

The border patrol field and BorTac guys have been great super helpful super responsive really friendly help them out they'll help you out.

Hope this helps!

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
How far do you need to get north of the border before this traffic thins out and dilutes? It would make sense that right along the border would be thick with trouble. But once they get across the river and to wherever the drugs are going to disperse, do the REALLY violent/cartel ones stop?

You can still see issues 50 miles in based on what I have seen. Once they hit the interstate so they can get their stuff moving it pretty much stops in texas and Arizona in my experience.

We hunt on the border here in Texas and had lots of encounters of all kinds, but in general we don't feel unsafe. We do stay armed and take steps in camp to avoid being ambushed.

How far do you need to get north of the border before this traffic thins out and dilutes? It would make sense that right along the border would be thick with trouble. But once they get across the river and to wherever the drugs are going to disperse, do the REALLY violent/cartel ones stop?
Some places further inland are even worse, depends on trafficking corridors. The foreign exchange students just walk across and claim asylum, the others that make it further in are the ones to worry about, they're your mules and various others that have records and such.

CorbLand

WKR
I spent 6 days down by Ajo, AZ a couple years ago and didnt see any but found plenty of their crap. Family that was down there the week before me glassed up a bunch.

We didnt have any issues but we stayed in town, didnt camp out there.

Talked to a BP in the area and he said they have picked them up as far north as I10 and I8. We saw a helicopter right off the 10 hovering, which we assumed was waiting for someone to come pick a group up. Crazy cool country and would be a shitty way to make a living humping things across it.

schmalzy

WKR
I spent 6 days down by Ajo, AZ a couple years ago and didnt see any but found plenty of their crap. Family that was down there the week before me glassed up a bunch.

We didnt have any issues but we stayed in town, didnt camp out there.

Talked to a BP in the area and he said they have picked them up as far north as I10 and I8. We saw a helicopter right off the 10 hovering, which we assumed was waiting for someone to come pick a group up. Crazy cool country and would be a shitty way to make a living humping things across it.

I’ve said it for a while, but some of those dudes would make damn good western hunters. Hiking for MILES in rugged terrrain with a jansport loaded with 20kg in a pair of fake Nikes.

CorbLand

WKR
I’ve said it for a while, but some of those dudes would make damn good western hunters. Hiking for MILES in rugged terrrain with a jansport loaded with 20kg in a pair of fake Nikes.

Especially when you add in the only known water source for miles is what they can pack.

Badass country that I want to go back to though.