Hunting/long range rifle?

RLXFXR

FNG
I’m looking to buy my first decent rifle that I can hunt elk, mule deer and auodad with. I’d also like to play around with shooting it out to 750 yards at the range, if capable. As for caliber, I’m thinking 308 and weight at 7.25lbs or less. Some options I’m considering: Bergara Ridge, Christensen Mesa or Savage 110 Hunter. As for scopes, I’m open to suggestions at $1,200 or less. Thoughts?

DaleW

WKR
I'm sure any if those rifle options would serve you well.

Since you're wanting a 308 you'll be able to practice a ton. So I'd recommend an optic that is very reliable and repeatable when it comes to dialing. The Nightforce SHV is in your price range and would be a fantastic option. Just not super light.

While you said you want to shoot targets out to 750 yards, what do you envision (future) shooting animals at?

I ask since the 308 Win is nice and popular, it is not necessarily well suited for killing animals at extended distances.

Have you shouldered the rifles in your post? Want to ensure that the rifle fits you well.

Do highly recommend checking out the various threads in the Optics sub-forum in regards to scope options.

SDHNTR

WKR
Welcom to the rabbit hole. Prepare for a multitude of Tikka endorsements. Sorry, but I’m not a huge fan of those three choices in rifles…

OP
R

RLXFXR

FNG
While you said you want to shoot targets out to 750 yards, what do you envision (future) shooting animals at?

I ask since the 308 Win is nice and popular, it is not necessarily well suited for killing animals at extended distances.

Have you shouldered the rifles in your post? Want to ensure that the rifle fits you well.

Do highly recommend checking out the various threads in the Optics sub-forum in regards to scope options.
I’m open to suggestions on long range hunting calibers. I’d rather buy a nice, capable gun that I can grow into and hunt long range should I choose. Thanks!

You should read the 223 for deer, elk, bear... thread, the 6 um thread and a couple more.

If I were looking to purchase a hunting rifle to take animals out to 1'000 yards, I'd be looking a a 6.5 PRC.

You should akso read the scope drop test posts by Form in the long range subforum here on Rokslide.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at something like 7mag, 7PRC, 6.8 Western personally. The .308 isn't real long-range capable on animals. I'd recommend Xbolt, Tikka, Fierce, Christensen for manufacturers. I'd go with a Leupold VX5HD or Zeiss V4 for the scope.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m looking to buy my first decent rifle that I can hunt elk, mule deer and auodad with. I’d also like to play around with shooting it out to 750 yards at the range, if capable. As for caliber, I’m thinking 308 and weight at 7.25lbs or less. Some options I’m considering: Bergara Ridge, Christensen Mesa or Savage 110 Hunter. As for scopes, I’m open to suggestions at $1,200 or less. Thoughts?

Those rifles are more problem prone than I would like, and the 308 isn’t necessarily the cartridge I would suggest due to recoil, a rifle and round that you will shoot extensively is the best choice.

The 308 with good bullets is just fine for 650 to 700 yards on animals. With some bullets, farther.

Caliber=Diameter of bullet, for folks mentioning the .308 win is not a long range cartridge.

I’m a sucker for .300 win mag. It’s Available. Cheaper than RUM & PRC.

I'm a tikka and browning xbolt fan myself.
As far as scope goes definitely look into the NF shv line.

Friend of mine had a Christensen arms Mesa 308 for a brief bit. Nothing great and underwhelming for the money, especially in the accuracy department. Would be better off with the Savage between the two.

I believe 308 will serve you fine.

I stayed with the 6.5cm myself when I started couling my gun collection, but I kept my 30-06's and didn't see the need for all three of those cartridges.

Northpark

WKR
.308 Winchester might not be the ideal round to use at long range but that doesn’t mean it’s not capable. I used a .308 win on my first hits on steel at 1000 yards. Took 32 MOA to get there. I still remember that. These days I use a 7-08ai, .300 win mag, and a .243 Winchester as my long range rifles. For factory rifles I’d take a look at the browning x bolt line.

BjornF16

WKR
Sako makes a nice rifle, particularly the S20 in 6.5CM. Tikka's are nice and less expensive than the Sako. There's a thread on here regarding the Tikka T3X UPR which has a stock that appears conducive to long range shooting.

Here's a thread to look through on 6mm/6.5mm long range hunting:

What is your budget for the rifle. Was it $1200 or was that for the optics? I'm always the Seekins proponent if you can find one to look at. Rifle weight is just over 7 lbs on the PH2

OP
R

RLXFXR

FNG
Caliber=Diameter of bullet, for folks mentioning the .308 win is not a long range cartridge.

I’m a sucker for .300 win mag. It’s Available. Cheaper than RUM & PRC.
Thanks for your reply. I’ve been doing some reading since my original post and now thinking .300WSM or possible 7PRC. I’d guess that the latter will be more expensive to shoot. Thoughts?

BjornF16

WKR
Thanks for your reply. I’ve been doing some reading since my original post and now thinking .300WSM or possible 7PRC. I’d guess that the latter will be more expensive to shoot. Thoughts?
Do you reload?

Right now, there is Zero 300 WSM factory ammo at MidwayUSA. 7 PRC will be unobtanium for a while as well.

Limited selection of 300WM and 7RM.

Just something to consider.

OP
R

RLXFXR

FNG
Do you reload?

Right now, there is Zero 300 WSM factory ammo at MidwayUSA. 7 PRC will be unobtanium for a while as well.

Limited selection of 300WM and 7RM.

Just something to consider.
No, I don’t reload. I meant 300WM, not WSM.

I don’t know but I would would assume yes. I reload 300 win mag. Seems hard to find 300 WSM. I’ve never looked for 7prc but I assume it’s expensive and hard to find. I do see it on the forums though with members trying to sell. I’m sure you could find enough to get your self started (both cartridges). In my humble opinion though, numbers wise the 7prc is not much better than 7mm rem mag. Everything has trade offs though. I shoot a 7mm rem mag 175 bullet in the 2900 fps range and that is good enough for me.

Last edited: