Hunting in grizzly country.

weaver

WKR
Moved to idaho this year and will be hunting in the back country solo for the first time. The unit im hunting in supposedly has grizzlies in it. I read an article a while back by Chuck Adams were he said he wont shoot an elk in the afternoon if he cant get the meat taken care of before dark when hes hunting in areas with grizzlies. So whats the line between being a wuss and being stupid?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have done a fair amount of solo hunting in grizz country. It's never stop me from shooting animals before dark. But no one ever said I was the smart one in the family either:)

Ross, hunts in grizz country a lot maybe he will chime in.

2rocky

WKR
Chuck has killed more animals than I have, and hunted for more years than I, so I'd say he has some credibility (more than me).

In the Gros Ventre Country of Wyoming I've heard of numerous run -ins with Grizz on Carcasses, but not on bagged and hung meat. (removed 500 ft. from gutpile.)

My Firsthand experience has been bumping bears in the trees in the morning. No carcass. Just heard the bear and saw the ass end .
Second hand experience, One guy charged by bear on a carcass in the morning. One guy had the bear eat the gutpile and chew on the elk. Another rode up on a Grizz eating the gutpile from 2 nights prior, after quarters were hauled off. Grizz stood his ground, guy retreated after griz did his side to side dance...

So those experiences tell me I need to be sure I can track down break down my elk that night. If I can't get all the meat out then, I'll haul the meat bags to a spot where I have a good view from a long way off. I'll hope if there is a bear that comes into on the carcass he will fill up on guts and go somewhere else to sleep.

I worry more about a bear the next morning than that night breaking down the carcass or packing meat.

hobbes

WKR
Moving from IL to CO I was a little concerned about black bear, but I got over that pretty quick. Moving from CO to MT now, I have some serious reservations about hunting griz country. Its something I hope I can overcome and expand my hunting range in MT. I think concern for my son's safety causes me more concern than myself, although that doesn't rate far behind.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fortunately my elk hunting in MT is in an area where the Griz is very limited, but on the other side of the Clark Fork where I do my muley hunting I have seen their tracks in the snow and it definately makes your hair stand on end. I would error on the side of conservatism if there is a fair population of these guys hanging around and have a patner to protect your back if possible.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have way more problems with moose than grizzlies. Like 2rocky mentioned, If you put distance between the meat and the pile, you should be OK. Take your time coming in to your meat site the next morning, make some noise, and be aware.

Or, save yourself the worry, hunt grizzly-free country, and leave the bear-infested areas to me...

B

bearguide

if the bull is big enough, you will shoot it, even if you are in grizzly country and it is late

I have way more problems with moose than grizzlies. Like 2rocky mentioned, If you put distance between the meat and the pile, you should be OK. Take your time coming in to your meat site the next morning, make some noise, and be aware.

Or, save yourself the worry, hunt grizzly-free country, and leave the bear-infested areas to me...

I've heard other people say the same thing, and yet I can't remember the last person I heard of injured by a moose. On the other hand, grizzlies seem to get a few bowhunters a year.

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Thanks for all the replies guys. Ive got a little .45 ill carry. At least ill be able to make a lot of noise if nothing else. I can just see me working up an elk 5 miles in at midnight watching over both shoulders at once.

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Looks like if i kill one way back in and have to leave meat hanging for multiple days while i pack it out solo ill be asking for trouble. Might have to look into finding somebody with horses to pack one out if i get lucky.

dotman

WKR
Thanks for all the replies guys. Ive got a little .45 ill carry. At least ill be able to make a lot of noise if nothing else. I can just see me working up an elk 5 miles in at midnight watching over both shoulders at once.

Yeah I would only recommend the .45 if you want to get eaten, that is not bear defense at all! Bear spray or a minimum of 44mag with hard casts, fyi.

dotman

WKR
I looked at a couple Taurus and the S&W was way lighter and had a bigger grip than the Taurus. I forget the model but it was made of super light weight metal. I was $999.

Did you look at the taurus ultralite? I bet they didn't have it cause it took me 6 months to find one, probably the 329pd which is rated at an oz less but I didn't notice a diff.