Hunting during an eclipse

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I realized this morning that there will be an annular solar eclipse during my elk hunt if the draw goes my way. Anyone ever hunt during an eclipse? Do the animals think it’s evening and come out to feed, or any other weird behavior to note/take advantage of?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I know the woods got completely quiet during the last eclipse. It was really weird.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Great resource, thanks!

The tl;dr is essentially that eclipses are so rare we don’t really know, but it could be really interesting, especially if they think it’s twilight and start moving. I’ll be looking forward to it!

Last edited:
OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I know the woods got completely quiet during the last eclipse. It was really weird.

What part of the country was that? Did you experience it personally?

Cannot help with a solar eclipse but was night hunting pigs in Texas during a total lunar eclipse. If you’ve been in the Texas woods at night you know it’s anything but quiet. Once it started everything went completely quiet, crickets, coyotes, birds, cows, everything. There wasn’t a noise until it was over. Surreal experience.

Extrapale

WKR
I was hunting pronghorn in Nevada during the big eclipse in 2017. Actually, the eclipse was the day before the season, but I was there and scouting.

The sclipse was at 9nor 10 in the am. It extended the morning glassing by several hours because it didn't heat up. The goats were out and about until midday, instead of headed for shade at 9am.

This photo was taken at full eclipse of a small but unique buck.
1a85f51775d82f2d3340b4c2cc626863.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I was hunting pronghorn in Nevada during the big eclipse in 2017. Actually, the eclipse was the day before the season, but I was there and scouting.

The sclipse was at 9nor 10 in the am. It extended the morning glassing by several hours because it didn't heat up. The goats were out and about until midday, instead of headed for shade at 9am.

This photo was taken at full eclipse of a small but unique buck.
1a85f51775d82f2d3340b4c2cc626863.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That sounds awesome, thanks for the reply!

I don't think a lunar eclipse will do anything more than make it darker at night.

But a solar eclipse.....I'd like to hunt during one of those just to see for myself how the ducks react

sneaky

"DADDY"
What part of the country was that? Did you experience it personally?
I was elk hunting in northern Utah, just outside of the path of totality, and it was strange for a little bit.