OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
a6d17083befebc7833073c1d45979a90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffP_Or

WKR
Ha, very true!.... A few guys run them on snowmobiles when we get bigger storms.
Not to detract from this thread too much but for several years thay have been trying to outlaw calling contests and coyote shoointg here in Oregon - one of the common themes supporting their arguments for outlawing is the methods employed in contests. One that comes up often is running them down and running over them with snowmachines - never heard of such a thing until the anti's took it to the legislators supporting their position/argument.

turbo406

FNG
Definitely in a high pressure area myself, going to have to try some of these techniques

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
A sequence that I used to pull a coyote from a 5 acre willow thicket was one that I had actually seen on a thread from quite some time ago here on Rokslide. Male coyote howl followed by a female coyote howl, then any distress sound (I used baby porcupine on this stand) followed by coyote distress (coyote death cry, coyote pup distress #3, etc) then start in with another distress sound. If nothing, then repeat the sequence. This isn’t a hard and fast sequence. Add in pauses where you want and mix it up with hand calls or different sounds. It’s a solid framework I started using and have been seeing some good success with since I started using it.

xdeano1

FNG
with highly educated coyotes, just wait for a windy day and spot and stock. Always works for me.

xdeano

I recently hunted in an area that has a lot of coyotes in it, but there are a fair number of other coyote hunters that know that too. Consequently, these coyotes are a student of the game and either won’t come in to the call or will come in, but stay out of sight or out of range and bark/yip at you. All I’ve tried are a few different rabbit sounds with a coyote howl mixed in there. What sounds/sequences do you go to when calling to previously educated coyotes? My thought is to just use coyote vocals with coyote death cry or pup distress in the mix, but I’ve got a variety of bird, deer, rodent, domestic animal sounds to try too. I’d like to hear some success stories that anyone has had to calling in higher pressure areas and achieving success.

I use a lot of k9 distress sounds and will mix in some aggressive coyote vocals late in the season. I usually hunt with a partner and one of us will go into the thickest cover in the area with a shotgun and an electronic caller the other will post up on a higher point with a rifle and try to crosswind cover the downwind approach to the call. It's proven to be super effective on pressured coyotes.

Hunt at night with thermal, download extra sounds that aren’t free so you have sounds that aren’t on everyone else’s calls, long pauses in your sequences and make sure you avoid over-calling, bait if you can, and don’t hit the same properties repeatedly without long breaks in between. I hunt in a heavily pressured area and all this stuff has helped.

duckp

FNG
the best thing to do is not letting them get pressured in the first place ,if you kill them they won,t get any smarter. then what you get is the dumb ones that take there place. i have killed 6 or 7 coyotes in the same place during the lenght of the entire season.

Blong

FNG
Some great advice here! Calling has become very popular in the area I can hunt. Thanks!

I have been getting alot of yotes the last two years starting off with mouse squeeks, woodpecker distress. Somthing subtile for 2,3 min. Than just silence for 2,3 min. Been using prarrie dog distress offten also, thas been really good for me, and ya no we dont have prarrie dogs in wisconsin. Use somthing that is off the wall obscure for your area .

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I have been getting alot of yotes the last two years starting off with mouse squeeks, woodpecker distress. Somthing subtile for 2,3 min. Than just silence for 2,3 min. Been using prarrie dog distress offten also, thas been really good for me, and ya no we dont have prarrie dogs in wisconsin. Use somthing that is off the wall obscure for your area .

I remember using snowshoe hair hp for the first time when I had gotten my foxpro a number of years back. I had never even entertained the idea for a couple trips out because in my mind, I’m nowhere near any snowshoe hares. After having a few dry stands I decided it was worth a try because it all sounds like a dinner bell to a coyote, just with a different pitch maybe. In a few minutes, I had several coyotes coming in on a string and my wife managed to take one of them. With that being said, I’m definitely going to give the prairie dog distress a try along with woodpecker distress. Great idea!

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I find when they hang up hit something high-pitched and quiet. Mouse squeaker, vole squeaks, coaxers. Keep it super quiet, like your questioning whether it's even on.

Most of the time they'll come in. If they've been hanging up they are definitely gonna circle to the downwind side hard.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I find when they hang up hit something high-pitched and quiet. Mouse squeaker, vole squeaks, coaxers. Keep it super quiet, like your questioning whether it's even on.

Most of the time they'll come in. If they've been hanging up they are definitely gonna circle to the downwind side hard.
...you use hand calls for this or an electronic caller?

pirogue

WKR
...you use hand calls for this or an electronic caller?
The last sentence of the first paragraph is…”you’re questioning whether it’s on”. I bet it’s not a hand call that you turn on.

mitchell

FNG
I live in an area which gets hunted a lot with dogs and hunters. Highly pressured coyotes are pussy cats when it comes to calling them out in the open. They dont want to take that chance. I leave my treestands up in the trees after deer season and hunt the coyotes from in the bush. I have a Foxpro shockwave and it works awesome for getting that call shy varmit. They just feel safer coming to a call from a secure environment. Only consequence, be very observant ! They will pick up any movement from up in a tree. Have gun ready at all times and keep movement down to zero.