Coyote Call Sequence

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
If you've thinned the herd, how far do new prospect need to come?

Are the retirees pet owners, snow birds, pretendfarmers?

You may need to let it rest a bit, depending on how likely other animals are to move in / through.
If you go out there at sunset and just after are the coyotes talking?

I'd try kitty sounds if the houses around are occupied.
The pack definitely isn’t too thin. Before this last solo make, I called in a pack of 5, and saw/heard several others that refused to come in.

The neighbors consist of what I’d call pretend farmers/porch dwellers that lease out their property for hay and cattle.

Usually at dusk is when I hear them talking. Over the years I’ve seen and shot a few in early morning roaming the creek that cuts through the property.

Cat sounds is a good idea

TheGDog

WKR
If your terrain is thick enough, like if a yote wouldn't be able to visibly see that it was YOU who moved that caller some 500yds+ over for another go at it, I'd definitely recommend quietly walking thru the area, staying out of what would be the wind being blown downwind to them as much as ya can, and go ahead and creep over to another spot and give it a try.

Hrmm, I wonder if they just don't want to commit to something they perceive as too far away from the Den when pups are part of the picture?

That would explain why when I'm setup at the outskirts of their area... I'll get a lone one coming in.

But when its deeper into this Juniper patch, where I can spy a clearing "over yonder" to setup on... and played this sound that's like a combo of pup distress and an adult one sounding aggro dubbed-in together to make it sound like he's messing with the pup... it bought like 6 in! Now that I think about, likely because we were closer to their Den when setup more inside that Juniper Patch. I have a good idea where their Den is at due to them busting me on prior trips going in for Doves.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
If your terrain is thick enough, like if a yote wouldn't be able to visibly see that it was YOU who moved that caller some 500yds+ over for another go at it, I'd definitely recommend quietly walking thru the area, staying out of what would be the wind being blown downwind to them as much as ya can, and go ahead and creep over to another spot and give it a try.

Hrmm, I wonder if they just don't want to commit to something they perceive as too far away from the Den when pups are part of the picture?

That would explain why when I'm setup at the outskirts of their area... I'll get a lone one coming in.

But when its deeper into this Juniper patch, where I can spy a clearing "over yonder" to setup on... and played this sound that's like a combo of pup distress and an adult one sounding aggro dubbed-in together to make it sound like he's messing with the pup... it bought like 6 in! Now that I think about, likely because we were closer to their Den when setup more inside that Juniper Patch. I have a good idea where their Den is at due to them busting me on prior trips going in for Doves.
Several good points and schools of thought being made here. I have wondered about moving over 200 yards or so and trying again but haven’t done it yet. I’ll have to give it a shot

TheGDog

WKR
Several good points and schools of thought being made here. I have wondered about moving over 200 yards or so and trying again but haven’t done it yet. I’ll have to give it a shot
Meh... Not 200yds, that'd be short enough they'd have heard it and should have come in, even inside of a Juniper Patch like that.

But yeah, when you're in the thicker stuff it's possible, if you're being judicious and slowly bringing-up the volume, that ones a lil on the farther side away might not hear it or aren't enthused enough to go see what's up with it. I'd say.

I always try to start off playing more quietly so that the volume level is at about what you'd think an actual critter would produce. Just in case there's one REALLY close by that you don't know about, that comes in super-quick and surprises you. Then like every 2 min or more I'll bump-up the volume before it repeats.

Also... at first... I'd say shy away from making use of a motion decoy. If you don't know how skittish they are in your area. I stopped using my motion decoy after observing one come in hot, see it, and make a hard 90 turn to leave the area.

Prey in distress is my go to. I don't have any sequence to my calling. If they don't show up within 15 minutes I pack up and move to another spot
1000005074.jpg