Hunting bullet recommendations for .280 AI

grimm158

FNG
I love my accubonds but haven't seen them on shelves in almost 3 years now. It's about time to switch to Hornady/Hammer since you can actually buy them. I just haven't been impressed with what ELDX's do on game. They've dropped everything but have been a little too explosive for my taste.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I love my accubonds but haven't seen them on shelves in almost 3 years now. It's about time to switch to Hornady/Hammer since you can actually buy them. I just haven't been impressed with what ELDX's do on game. They've dropped everything but have been a little too explosive for my taste.
Don't be afraid to try the eld-m. I'm loading them in my 280ai and at 2800 fps MV and they flat hammer IMO. I'm a double lunger though, not a high shoulder guy. But great terminal performance, 3/3 on 1 shot kills from 210-580 on 2 bucks and a bull.

grimm158

FNG
Don't be afraid to try the eld-m. I'm loading them in my 280ai and at 2800 fps MV and they flat hammer IMO. I'm a double lunger though, not a high shoulder guy. But great terminal performance, 3/3 on 1 shot kills from 210-580 on 2 bucks and a bull.
I know a few guys running those and they say great things. I've got a mental block about using target bullets for hunting.. Seems like everyone's running 215 hybrids in 300prc and I can't bring myself to load those either. Sounds like a me problem

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
Keep the velocity a little lower on an ELDM and it performs well. If you like a complete energy dump it is perfect. If you want two holes and no limitations go mono.
The 162 shoots great in my 280AI and I have thought about giving the 180 a try.

On the 160 partitions I have 50 handloads made up with 4831 but can’t bring myself to shoot them until they become available.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I know a few guys running those and they say great things. I've got a mental block about using target bullets for hunting.. Seems like everyone's running 215 hybrids in 300prc and I can't bring myself to load those either. Sounds like a me problem
I think it just depends on the application. I'm all about that full energy dump into the vitals behind the shoulder, so I got great results. If I had tried to high shoulder for a DRT I may not have, I don't know. I also find terminal performance reviews on dead animals ironic.

Keep the velocity a little lower on an ELDM and it performs well. If you like a complete energy dump it is perfect. If you want two holes and no limitations go mono.
The 162 shoots great in my 280AI and I have thought about giving the 180 a try.
That aligns with my experience, I was content when I hit 2800fps because it was a sweet spot of acceptable ballistics and comfort to shoot. I was surprised that I did get a full pass through on the buck at 580 though. I grabbed a couple hundred 180's recently but I think they're going to be too fast out of my 28 Nos, and I think I found a powder that the Bergers are gonna jive with. If you're interested in them shoot me a message.

Petwa

FNG
The best hunting/accuracy load I have tried is the Barnes 150gr ttsx loaded to 3050fps. I have only shot two deer with this load. One at 60yds and the other at 150yds. This bullet/load combo shoots 1/2moa out of my rifle. I tried the Hornady 150 ELD-x bullets with a bunch of different loads and my gun does not shoot them well. I wished it did. I would like to try some accubonds but can never seem to find any in stock.

Habs22

FNG
If you can find, 155 terminal accent have been great. Best of both worlds of lead and copper.

The new hornady 160g CX mono looks fairly promising. Once i actually get my new rifle I'll test them but a .596 G1 ain't half bad if thats how it actually shakes out

Harvey_NW

WKR
The new hornady 160g CX mono looks fairly promising. Once i actually get my new rifle I'll test them but a .596 G1 ain't half bad if thats how it actually shakes out
Really considering trying them in 28 Nos because screw barrel life if you have a frickin laser beam.