Hunting bullet recommendations for .280 AI

154gr Interbonds would be my choice made by Hornady. Still gets speed and the bonded core allows that bullet to bust through bones and thick muscle.

Welcome to the .280 AI club! We are a discerning group but apex predators all the same!

I've had better than awsome results with 160gr accubonds with 55.5gr of imr 4350.

Took a while to dial the load in but once I did, everything I have pulled the trigger on has been DRT.

From a blacktails at 75 yards to elk at 636, I'll never shoot another load out of this gun.

Good luck in your load development!!

I'll second that. 168s and H4831sc

We have killed everything from ground squirrels to moose with that load combo! I can’t think of an animal we have hit that wasn’t recovered, even ones that hits were marginal. Doing a quick count at least 15 different people have killed animals with it over the last ten years. This year alone I killed a black bear, whitetail buck and bull elk from 80-450 yards!!

Shoot em if you got em , LOL .

My .280 likes 162 ELDX's and R19 , but what your gun likes is what you want to shoot , good luck .

I don't think there are very man BAD bullets for a 280ai...
My new favorite load is with a 175 partition. I worked up a load last year when I drew a bison tag, and also killed a few elk with it. Ballistics aren't too bad and it hits like a friggen freight train. I was able to get them to over 2925 but settled on a load that pushes them at 2850.

My 280 AI likes both 160 Accubonds and 162 ELDX bullets both shoot .5 inch groups at 100 yards and I’ve shot 3” groups at 600 yards with the 160 ABs.

I've had great luck with the 140 and 160 Accubonds. Also, don't sleep on the 150 ballistic tip, they are pretty dang tough at moderate velocities.

My favorite is the 168 VLD.

R26 and the 160 Accubond @3065 puts a good thumping on elk, and good luck finding them, I just picked up some Hormady 154 Interbonds to try.

I haven’t checked the velocity on the eldx. I just grabbed a box of factory that I had laying around to see if they would group well out of my gun. Shot a clover leaf at 100 yards with them. My main hunting load is the 160 AB with reloader 19 at 2875 fps. But AB bullets are so hard to find now!

Back