Hunting brand specific vs Outdoor brand technical clothing

ljaq516

FNG
I’ve mostly been a tree stand whitetail hunter, but will be tagging along with a buddy for a CO archery elk hunt. So I’ve been trying to put together a clothing system for that. With the trend of moving towards hunting solids, I’m wondering what y’all’s thoughts are on brands like Sitka, FL, SG vs outdoor brands like OR, Arcteryx, Patagonia. I’m terms if technical clothing, like rain gear, puffy jackets, active insulation do hunt specific brands offer something more/better than those outdoor companies? It would be cool if my gear could pull double duty during hunting and wearing everyday around town. Share with us some of your favorite pieces that serve double duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Lots of the performance "outdoor" gear is great stuff. That said, the biggest issue with lots of these brands is their political stances. If you're ok with their stances or they don't have any perceived negative stances, it can be an easy way to save some coin. My performance hunting gear is good stuff and they obviously don't have any anti-hunting agenda behind them, but I've had gear from other non-hunting brands that perform equally as well. My favorite rain jacket is from Columbia, Prana pants are held in high regard for early season stuff.

I personally like to support brands that I share interests and opinions with.

BUT, store brand stuff or non-hunting brands can be a good way to save some dinero. My favorite hooded sun shirt ever is just a generic "Scheel's Outfitter" branded one. It cost me about $23, and performs equally as well as my King's one that cost me $65.

OP
L

ljaq516

FNG
Lots of the performance "outdoor" gear is great stuff. That said, the biggest issue with lots of these brands is their political stances. If you're ok with their stances or they don't have any perceived negative stances, it can be an easy way to save some coin. My performance hunting gear is good stuff and they obviously don't have any anti-hunting agenda behind them, but I've had gear from other non-hunting brands that perform equally as well. My favorite rain jacket is from Columbia, Prana pants are held in high regard for early season stuff.

I personally like to support brands that I share interests and opinions with.

BUT, store brand stuff or non-hunting brands can be a good way to save some dinero. My favorite hooded sun shirt ever is just a generic "Scheel's Outfitter" branded one. It cost me about $23, and performs equally as well as my King's one that cost me $65.

Valid points. I’ve never thought about the political stances of these companies. Definitely something to consider.

H80Hunter

WKR
Some of the hunting stuff can be a little quieter as far as especially puffy jackets. But poly pants and fleece are pretty universal.

Drenalin

WKR
I am mostly wearing Outdoor Research clothing now and have been pretty happy with it. Colors aren’t always ideal, but it does the job well.

I’ve been picking up quite a few pieces of Mountain Hardwear for hunting and general use. They have plenty of solids that work in the woods, and the prices can be great on sale.

I’ve been picking up quite a few pieces of Mountain Hardwear for hunting and general use. They have plenty of solids that work in the woods, and the prices can be great on sale.
they are owned by Columbia, Columbia is still pro-hunting for now. Tim the CEO is a big hunter

PNWGATOR

WKR
Stone Glacier is an example of a hunting company incorporating modern mountaineering clothing design and materials into a functional system.

Simply FANTASTIC!

OP
L

ljaq516

FNG
I am mostly wearing Outdoor Research clothing now and have been pretty happy with it. Colors aren’t always ideal, but it does the job well.

I’ve got a few OR pieces that I enjoy. Have a Foray rain jacket and was thinking about picking up the helium puffy for static insulation.

OP
L

ljaq516

FNG
Stone Glacier is an example of a hunting company incorporating modern mountaineering clothing design and materials into a functional system.

Simply FANTASTIC!

I have a SG pack that I’m impressed with. Wanted to try the de havilland lite pants and maybe some hoodies. Have any recommendations from SG?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The outdoors brands you mentioned have been used around the world in the worst of conditions. They have been around a lot longer than most of the hunting brands and they make gear that you can trust. The hunting brands you mentioned also make gear you can trust. I’m not brand loyal to just one brand. I use what works for me in my system, no matter the brand. You will find solids from all of these.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I have a SG pack that I’m impressed with. Wanted to try the de havilland lite pants and maybe some hoodies. Have any recommendations from SG?

You simply can’t go wrong with anything they offer.

Different, yes. Better, that’s subjective.

Stone Glacier’s entire product line is first class.

I mix and match a lot of stuff. One exception that I consistently wear hunting stuff for is Sitka Core Lightweight shirts (which come in solids btw). Their Polygiene treatment is better than anything else I’ve found other than merino, which itches my torso. It is better than polygiene treatments on Kings Camo and Eddie Bauer.

Patagonia used to have polygiene in there Capilene shirts, which performed as well as Sitka and had a camo option, however they switched to another type of treatment so don’t know if it is still as good. The Capilene actually dries faster than any other piece of clothing I own so I usually save it for days when I expect to sweat a lot or get rained on.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider

Simply FANTASTIC!
Damn stone glacier’s marketing is next level! lol

croben

Lil-Rokslider

I have their DH Lites and love them. There are lighter and/or quieter pants on the market, but I was really happy with them last year. I wore them from summer time until it started snowing out and finally switched to something a little heavier. The huge leg zips and built in belt are awesome features. I probably wouldn’t wear them in spring time because of ticks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My experience has been that different brands seem to do better with different pieces. As an example, my current bomb proof clothing lineup looks like this…

.Merino Beanie/Meshback Ball Cap
.Firstlite Wick Hoody
.Patagonia R1 Air Hoody
.Nunatak or Kifaru Puffy
.Patagonia Houdini
.Swazi Tahr Rain Jacket
.Fjallraven Vida Pro Ventilated Pants
.Smartwool Boxers
.Outdoor Research Tradecraft Puffy Pants
.Swazi Overpants
.Smartwool Socks