Hunter Safety Course

Jodi

Super Moderator
My name is Grace and I will be taking hunter safety with my dad next week. i cant wait to hunt with my dad.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Grace, so glad you and mom decided to post! I was moderating the forums and noticed your thread- what a great surprise.
As your lucky father, I can't wait to start your course next week. We are going to learn much together and you will getter a better idea of what hunting is all about.
I met our instructor yesterday, Lew Huddleston, and he said he looks forward to having you there.
Love you,
-Dad

Last edited:
Grace,

Congratulations on taking the first step in joining the hunting community. I don't know how old you are, but as a hunter safety instructor here in Maryland I want to advise you to pay attention in class, do the reading, and ask lots of questions. Your instructors will be glad to answer them and clarify any misunderstandings you might have. The test looks at your understanding of the concepts being taught, it is not just rote memorization of what was said.

Larry Schwartz

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Grace is 9, almost 10. She can start hunting small game next fall and big game when she's 12.
What started all this was that she called me at work a few months ago. She left a message that went something like this
"Dad, I'm in the backyard by the horses, mom doesn't know I'm out here. I was looking for deer, then remembered that I don't have hunters safety course yet!"

I went home and signed her up that night.

thanks for chiming in Larry and for helping our next generation of hunters out in Maryland.

Dead eye

FNG
I did that last year with my Grace and had the best father daughter fall do date! Nothing like hunting with your kids! The excitement level for a 12 year old girl is as real as it gets! Keep the hunting heritage alive!!!!!!

R

rebecca francis

Grace you will have so much fun and learn so much at hunters safety! I'm so excited for you! I love having my kids hunting with me! We will all be so excited to hear about your first hunt! Please tell us all about it and post some pictures! Congratulations!

Rokslide Grace

Super Moderator
Oh Thank you Rebecca, I'm so like happy that you responded to my thread. You are so pretty, my mom showed me a picutre of you on Rokslide. Also, is hunter safety course boring?
Grace

Rokslide Grace

Super Moderator
Here is a picture of me training my horse Popcorn. She will be the horse I take hunting. She is a very trained horse. One of my dad's cowboy friends, Bill Kelly of Pinedale Wyoming, bought her as a gift to me and my brother & sister.
attachment.php

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
Thats awesome Grace!!!
My daughter is almost 18 and she loves her hunting and her horses also. I sure that your Mom and Dad are very proud of you.

Grace/cowgirlup,

Just make sure to pay attention during class, it might get a little boring for you.

Also, after each class take some time to go over what you learned with an adult to make sure you understood what the instructor was trying to get across to the students. Tell your Dad or whatever adult you are there with what you thought was taught, in your own words, and they can let you know if you got it right or what the instructor was really saying.

Good luck and make sure to post some pictures and a story of your first "official" hunt for us all to see.

Larry

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great advice LarryS. My dad and I will both be attending the course with Grace, so she will have lots of opportunity with an adult outside of class to learn. Stay posted, I'm sure she'll keep everyone updated on the class. Thanks for your support.

Rokslide Grace

Super Moderator
I started tonight. I just loved Hunter's Safety Course.

This is my instructor Lew. He's very tall!
attachment.php

This is where I sit
attachment.php

My class is in a room with lots of mounts. This deer is one of my dad's favorites. My uncle mounted it, and my dad donated the cape. Some cheater poached the deer. The grizzly bear is a titch smaller than Rebecca got
attachment.php

R

rebecca francis

Grace you are so awesome!!! That is a great horse! I'm so excited for you!!! What did you learn tonight in your first class?

R

rebecca francis

Oh Thank you Rebecca, I'm so like happy that you responded to my thread. You are so pretty, my mom showed me a picutre of you on Rokslide. Also, is hunter safety course boring?
Grace

Grace somehow I missed this post....You are absolutely beautiful and the sweetest girl ever! I loved my hunter safety course. I took it when I was 11 years old. I went along with my oldest son when he took it, and also went again with my two youngest when they took it. I think it is so important to learn all you can in this class so that you are a safe, ethical, and educated hunter. Have you been practicing with your .22?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grace, Thanks so much for posting about your first evening at hunter's Ed with your dad. I didn't get to take the class until I was 22, and I remember wishing I had taken it sooner. I learned a lot, and it got me even more excited about becoming a better hunter and outdoors woman in general. I am always thrilled to hear about young people getting into hunting, but especially girls! Keep us posted on what you learn and how your course goes!

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
Grace, great job on the pics, (I really like the deer). I'm sure you're learning a lot, you've got a pretty good tutor.

Muleyman - Tyler

Grace,

It's not in the course, but the hardest thing to do and maybe one of the most important things when hunting is learning to sit still and not move around. That was what gave me away the most when I started to learn how to hunt and actually get a shot opportunity.

I'm glad to see you are doing your reading and homework! That will help you a lot.

Larry