Hunter Safety Course

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Larrys
Grace's course in Idaho is set up for 2 nights per week but for 3 weeks (maybe we be slow learners out in Idaho) so we meet a total of 7 times-including the range time on the last Saturday.
She is going tonight, but with grandpa (he tries to get to hunters ed with all his grandkids). Me on Thursday, then maybe mom next week.
She has been doing her homework with no nagging (unlike school work:)), so we know she's interested.
I'm sure Grace will post tonight.

Rokslide Grace

Super Moderator
I went last night with grandpa and my cousins who have taken the course already. We learned about caliber and choke and ammo and animal habits.

The teacher Lew asked if anyone knew what elk eat. One girl raised her hand and said pine cones! I'm pretty sure elk don't eat pine cones but it was funny. I go with dad tomorrow night and maybe mom next week. I have two chapters to read tonight.

Grace,

Like your folks and other relatives must be, I am proud of you.

I wish that all of my students, the grown-ups too, would take as much interest in the course as you are. You will, I am sure, be a great addition to our hunting community.

Just try to not show Mom and Dad up too much when you go hunting with them! :eek:

Rokslide Grace

Super Moderator
Mr Schwartz, thank you for the advice. I like hunters saftey course because it's fun. I like to watch the videos Mr Huddleston shows us. I ve learned things I should and shouldn't do during hunting. I learned do not look in the scope as a telescope and pointing my gun at them. And I learned that if you see something move in the forest, don't be that is a deer, but be sure of your're target. Don't use your gun as a walking stick because it could go off because the safety could be moved and saftey on gun doesn't always work.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grace, it sounds like you are learning lots of important information that will help you to be the safest, most ethical hunter you can be. I think it is awesome that you are working so hard and learning so much. I am looking forward to hearing all about your adventures hunting with your dad...keep us posted!

Rokslide Grace

Super Moderator
I graduated hunter ed course!

My course was 3 weeks long and ended Thursday. I got a 98% on my test! I only missed the one about the parts of a cartridge- I filled in "c" but it was "d".

My cousins and Grandpa came to lots of my classes to support me- it made me happy that they came. Thank you!
here they are:
attachment.php

And my dad came a lot.

First, we had to shoot the guns to get our cards. Mr Huddleston showed us how to shoot. This is me aiming getting ready to shoot.
attachment.php

I shot all the positions, but when I got to the easiest (prone), my gun wouldn't shoot, so I pretended I was shooting. Later I told my dad what happened.
I did hit the target 3 times from standing.

I got my card to get my license. Read my hand, it's about the elk eating pinecones which was the funniest thing in the world a girl said at the class.

attachment.php

A few days later, my mom and dad got me a gun! It is a Rossi and has a 22 barrel and a shotgun (410) barrel. I felt blessed and happy and excited. They gave me two boxes of cartridges before they gave me the gun and I was thinking "what is going on, are they getting me a gun or something?" Then I went to get some water and when I came back there was a big box on the table with a towel over it. I said is this for me? I opened the box and there was the gun. Here is a picture of me and it:

attachment.php

Hunters ed was so worth it to go. If you are interested you should go. It was only $9 and my dad paid it. Thank you for reading about this and supporting me by responding. Thanks to larryschwartz, Rebecca, Becca and everyone else.

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations on passing your hunters Ed course, Grace! It sounds like you studied hard and took the coursework seriously, and it paid off! Have you had a chance to shoot your new gun yet? I learned to shoot with a .22 also, and still think its a very fun caliber for small game and also target practicing. You are truly blessed to have so much support from your whole family, and I have no doubt you will be quite the huntress! Looking forward to hearing more about your hunting experiences now that you are certified!

R

rebecca francis

Congrats Grace! I am so excited to see amazing girls like you develop a passion for hunting! You are a wonderful and educated example to all girls who have an interest in this sport. I can't wait to hear all about your exciting adventures to come!

Grace,

I just got back from a turkey hunt in a wilderness area in VA and saw your post...Congratulations! You did a great job and your new Rossi is a great gun to get started on. You can use it for squirrel, quail, rabbits and other small game or birds. It's just the right size for you too.

If you ever want to get into bowhunting there is a similar course put out by the National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) called the Interational Bowhunting Education Program. It is given by each state just like their hunter safety course is but it talks more about how to hunt with a bow and how it is different from hunting with a gun. Here is a link to it in Idaho, http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/education/?getPage=30.

Larry

Awesome thread Grace and congrats on earning your certification! My 10yo son and I just went through the course together and both got our certs as well. It was both of our first time through the course and I had him read your posts before we started to help him know what to expect so thank you for sharing!

Rokslide Grace

Super Moderator
You're welcome!
I'm glad what I shared was helpful. The most important thing I learned in the course was the rules and laws about hunting and looking at the animal skulls Mr. Huddleston brought to class.

Was the course fun for him? What state do you live in?

Yes we both had a great time at the course!! We live in Palmer Alaska and are planning his first real black bear hunt this fall.

Mckinnon

WKR
Way to go Grace! It is good you are doing this while you're young, I just convinced my friend to do it and she is 27, so good job. Are you excited to go hunting!?

Rokslide Grace

Super Moderator
Thanks ya,ll for your comments , my dad really likes you guys and thinks your cool ( so do i !) Thank you