Hunter Safety Certificate

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine is looking to go out to Colorado in a few weeks for an DIY archery elk hunt and just realized that a hunter safety certificate is required. He has never purchased a Colorado license previously. He has completed the Michigan online hunter safetycourse, but cannot find an available "outdoor field test" portion of the process that is scheduled prior to his hunt date. Does anyone know if Colorado offers a non resident test that would meet the states requirement?

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
You could check out Texas's hunter safety online course . I don't know if Colorado recognizes it but you can do all online w no field day.

JWP58

WKR
I would think that most if not all states recognize other out of state hunter ed cards/certificates. Wyoming does.

I feel like I have been asked for my hunter safety # or certificate a fair bit over the last few years. I now keep a paper copy in my filing cabinet for copies as well as a scanned pdf of it in various spots electronically. Similar documentation is needed to archery hunt certain states (either previous years archery tags or a specific bowhunters safety course). I really advise people to look up the regs of a state where they are going months in advance because something like this could keep you from applying in a draw or even missing a hunt all together. If hunting a new state, I always call a year in advance and ask if there is anything I need I specifically need to hunt _________ tag. It helps you get all your ducks in order...especially for early draws/apps like Alaska and Idaho

cnelk

WKR
Have him call the CPW and they will verify his hunter safety. Once that's done, he's good to go forever.

His license will have 'V' on it then.

RobertsA

FNG
You could check out Texas's hunter safety online course . I don't know if Colorado recognizes it but you can do all online w no field day.
I have my safety requirement through Texas and it took all of 35 minutes to complete. Texas does not require a field safety day. It is recognized by all 50 states and I just purchased a Colorado license with out any issue.

Gulfgoose

FNG
I'll thrown another vote on taking the Texas course. I believe 21 is the break point where you no longer need the field day to complete, all online.

Bozz

FNG
I know in my state there is an option to take the hunters safety course without the field day. It's just a longer online course. My nephew just did it.

As others have said though call CPW before you waste any time or money

Backyard

WKR
Have him call the CPW and they will verify his hunter safety. Once that's done, he's good to go forever.

His license will have 'V' on it then.
Can you explain this in more detail please? I interpret this as I won't ever need to show my card again after doing this. Kinda like jumping into the 21st century in technology.

dubllung4

FNG
Most states just need your Hunter Safety Number. They also have no way of even checking if this number is valid. I ran into this last year in Illinois.

Oklahoma has an online course as well.

We stopped in the Dnr office in Gunnison a couple of years ago and they verified our cards. Nice to not have to worry about them any more. I actually still have my original from 1979. I have a dup as well, but last year, my mom gave me a box of my old stuff and it was in there. Might have to frame it, lol.

I was under the impression it had to be verified in person as well.

cnelk

WKR
Can you explain this in more detail please? I interpret this as I won't ever need to show my card again after doing this. Kinda like jumping into the 21st century in technology.

Page 4 of the Regs - see #3 below

HUNTER EDUCATION HUNTER EDUCATION (SAFETY) REQUIREMENTS
1. Anyone born on or after January 1, 1949, is required to have a hunter education card to hunt in Colorado.

2. A hunter education card is required to apply for or buy a hunting license.

3. Your hunter education card must be carried while hunting, unless it is verified and your license is marked with a “V.” To get your hunter education card verified, take your hunter education card to a CPW office (listed on inside front cover) or state park.

4. CPW honors hunter education cards from other states, provinces and countries.

2ski

WKR
I have my safety requirement through Texas and it took all of 35 minutes to complete. Texas does not require a field safety day. It is recognized by all 50 states and I just purchased a Colorado license with out any issue.

This isn't a little scary......does anyone really think needing 35 minutes to go from not hunting to good enough to hunt is a good thing? It either means the multiple guess test was incredibly easy and obvious or the info was so basic that it was a breeze. No offense but the fact that you are bragging about how quickly you completed it is a reason I would never hunt with you. You handle a gun and my safety comes into play, I'm taking my safety every time. You may be just fine, but I'm not taking the risk. And I know you won't appreciate that comment, but it's just the way it is.

I know there are several states that don't require a field day. Not just Texas. But I don't offer that info to anyone when asked. It's a really slippery slope. I've taught hunter's safety and the 12 year old kids that take the course and have spent time in a classroom all week look more comfortable handling a gun than the adults that took the online class and are only there for their field day. Take out the field day and I don't like it at all.

2ski

WKR
I get the feeling the question isn't being asked of you guys because you've never hunted before, it's that you don't have a certificate, but have been hunting for a few years. Look online at the state you took hunter ed from. You can go to MT's website if you took it from MT and reprint that certificate. So say someone took it in FLA....they could go here: https://public.myfwc.com/hgm/huntersafety/student.aspx and they wouldn't need to complete a TX online course in 35 minutes. ;)

87TT

WKR
I took the hunter safety class over 50 years ago and got my first license 52 years ago. I have hunted in CO, NM, UT and ID and never needed to show the little slip they gave me(not even a card and I lost it a long time ago). The most I had to do is show my old hunting license and maybe fill out an affidavit.

Backyard

WKR
Page 4 of the Regs - see #3 below

HUNTER EDUCATION HUNTER EDUCATION (SAFETY) REQUIREMENTS
1. Anyone born on or after January 1, 1949, is required to have a hunter education card to hunt in Colorado.

2. A hunter education card is required to apply for or buy a hunting license.

3. Your hunter education card must be carried while hunting, unless it is verified and your license is marked with a “V.” To get your hunter education card verified, take your hunter education card to a CPW office (listed on inside front cover) or state park.

4. CPW honors hunter education cards from other states, provinces and countries.
C, I know this already. You made it sound as tho one would contact the CPW with info of your safety certs and they would put it on your record with a "V", then you'd be good forever. And not have to worry about having to show your card every year at the time of purchase (As it should be anyway. It's 2019 for Christ's sake). They ask for mine every year.