Hunter Kills 3 Bighorn in Montana

No matter what he was irresponsible for shooting three sheep and should be held responsible for it. I do think 32K is pretty steep though. Hope it doesn't deter someone from doing the right thing in the future.

LandYacht

WKR
In regards to the sentiment that doing the right thing is being punished, I too had that feeling initially. Then I started thinking about what the right thing would have actually been.

Instead of shooting a second time, waiting and checking the animals for being wounded would have been the first correct step. If nothing looks wounded then checking the area they were in after they have left for evidence of a non fatal hit would be the next. It's part of hunting and fundamental firearm rules to be certain of your target and beyond.

As has been stated prior, this was one of the most expensive species to have that lesson learned on. I wouldn't put him in the poacher category, but he sure would have been had he not self reported. It would be a serious gut check time to do the right thing, even more so knowing what the precedent has been set at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
This should put a damper on people self reporting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing this guy's thought process went both ways. Had he left the sheep and it was found the hunters with the limited tags are interviewed. To clear them Montana Fish and Wildlife conducts ballistics test and
the poor guy does a year in Montana state Pen.

When dealing with Fish and Wildlife normal search and seizure laws do not exist, they can gather as much evidence from your guns, GPS, freezer and home as they want. This guy took the safer path.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick search doesn't bring up a single case of poaching in Montana where prison time was served.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
He was fined in accordance to what the law requires and what apparently the state believes is the value of the animals killed without a tag. People want others held accountable for their actions until it was an "oops".

Furthermore the incentive for doing the right thing is knowing you did the right thing. Not for hoping to score brownie points with the court.

Exactly, he was treated no different then a poacher, if an honest mistake has the same punishment as a poacher then why would anyone self report?

dotman

WKR
I find it crazy that the ram is worth $30k and the ewe is worth only $2k. Only one of those will raise another to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Value of horn over species or animal, otherwise both would have the same value.

dotman

WKR
No matter what he was irresponsible for shooting three sheep and should be held responsible for it. I do think 32K is pretty steep though. Hope it doesn't deter someone from doing the right thing in the future.

I completely agree he should receive some form of punishment but not the same a person who's intent is to break the law.

It took decades to get the courts to take wildlife violations seriously here and assign value to the citizens of the state for game animals. However if a ram is now worth $30k maybe the pendulum has swung too far.....

Having looked at this same scenario last fall with three identical six point bulls milling around and one of them hit with my first shot, it takes more than three seconds to sort it out and be 100% sure of the second shot and what's behind it. Anything less than 100% and you don't shoot if you don't want this kind of a problem.

I agree he needs to be punished. But there are dirt bag poachers out there that break the law on purpose and they get a slap on the wrist. This guy made a mistake and self admitted it and got more fines than some poachers get.

full draw

FNG
What about a game warden who incidentally kills a bighorn during surveying tagging transplanting?

Would a sworn officer who is acting in the best intesrst to perserve a natural resource recieve any fines? Would they report it? Would it escalate to a courtoom?

An accident is an accident. Sportsmans should pull together and pay this guys fines and take a hard look in the mirror and answer the above questions. If you cant answer yes to all of them well theres your answer. If not they need to revisit the fines issued.

JWP58

WKR
What about a game warden who incidentally kills a bighorn during surveying tagging transplanting?

Would a sworn officer who is acting in the best intesrst to perserve a natural resource recieve any fines? Would they report it? Would it escalate to a courtoom?

An accident is an accident. Sportsmans should pull together and pay this guys fines and take a hard look in the mirror and answer the above questions. If you cant answer yes to all of them well theres your answer. If not they need to revisit the fines issued.

Umm your cool hypothetical situation needs a couple of more dead sheep added to it to be close to this situation (which would still be an insane comparison ).

An accident is an accident huh? Ya that is probably a perfectly good excuse in court. Cart blanche if you've committed an "accidental" crime....

JWP58

WKR
Exactly, he was treated no different then a poacher, if an honest mistake has the same punishment as a poacher then why would anyone self report?

You would have to answer that question for yourself, I can't determine why anyone would or wouldn't do the right thing. Maybe there should be an amended subsection to the game laws in MT entitled "But if you really didn't mean to" with open ended fines and punishments to allow leniency.

Trr15

WKR
You would have to answer that question for yourself, I can't determine why anyone would or wouldn't do the right thing. Maybe there should be an amended subsection to the game laws in MT entitled "But if you really didn't mean to" with open ended fines and punishments to allow leniency.

I think encouraging the authorities to use discretion and common sense would be a more appropriate suggestion than your smart ass remark.

dotman

WKR

It would be easy add an "intent" clause.

JWP58

WKR
I think encouraging the authorities to use discretion and common sense would be a more appropriate suggestion than your smart ass remark.

Does the hunter have any responsibility of using "discretion" when harvesting an animal?

KHNC

WKR
Wonder how much he paid for the tag? Or the hunt itself? Assuming he drew the tag. If he bought it at a high priced auction, then he probably has the money to pay the fine easily.