Hunter Fatally Shot Near Kremmling CO

zog

Lil-Rokslider
No, I wasn't trying to start an argument--sorry if it seemed that way. Just wanted to point out that among the other things we've gotten much better at (including CPR, etc.) is not shooting each other! Both hi-viz orange and hunter-ed/hunter safety campaigns have been hugely effective in making "common sense" firearm rules much more "common."
No I did not think you were starting an argument either, thanks. And those stats are very enlightening.

Thankfully it is now so foreign to most of us - how could 340 hunters possibly be shot to death in one year?!? What in the hell were people doing?

Last edited:

zog

Lil-Rokslider
On point of gunshot and knife deaths - I hope all hunters will learn about STOP-THE-BLEED.

Stop-The-Bleed is a training campaign that arose out of the tragic mass shootings in recent years. Among the findings in the aftermath of those awful events was how many lives could have been saved with knowledge of stopping bleeding in puncture type wounds. Responders were overwhelmed and bystanders didn't know they could act instantly on bleeding.

I was certified in Stop-The-Bleed as a part of firefighter training a couple years ago. It is a 60 minute stand-alone training as an add-on module to first aid/CPR. You learn tourniquet, pro-clot gauze and and puncture wound stuffing. Their goal is to spread the knowledge with very quick, direct to the point training and instructor certification.

No telling if the hunter this thread started about might have been saved, there's not enough detail in the articles, but everybody should learn this just as they learn CPR. Please look it up.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
No I did not think you were starting an argument either, thanks. And those stats are very enlightening.

Thankfully it is now so foreign to most of us - how could 340 hunters possibly be shot to death in one year?!? What in the hell were people doing?

Drinking and hunting for one.

fwafwow

WKR
On point of gunshot and knife deaths - I hope all hunters will learn about STOP-THE-BLEED.

Stop-The-Bleed is a training campaign that arose out of the tragic mass shootings in recent years. Among the findings in the aftermath of those awful events was how many lives could have been saved with knowledge of stopping bleeding in puncture type wounds. Responders were overwhelmed and bystanders didn't know they could act instantly on bleeding.

I was certified in Stop-The-Bleed as a part of firefighter training a couple years ago. It is a 60 minute stand-alone training as an add-on module to first aid/CPR. You learn tourniquet, anti-clot gauze and and puncture wound stuffing. Their goal is to spread the knowledge with very quick, direct to the point training and instructor certification.

No telling if the hunter this thread started about might have been saved, there's not enough detail in the articles, but I everybody should learn this just as they learn CPR. Please look it up.
Well said. I believe that the organization is trying to get the knowledge as widespread as CPR and the Heimlich maneuver.

There are quite a few disagreements on RS as to whether it is worth it to carry extra first aid equipment (like a tourniquet) to stop bleeding. Although many disagree with what I choose to carry, I should hope that no one (or fewer) would disagree in having the knowledge.

I agree with you enough to include it in my signature.

Colorado’s stats for fatalities that are being referenced just refer to hunting related gun shot deaths. I was a Hunter Ed Instructor for 30 yrs there. As an instructor we’d get the detailed accident reports, both fatal and non-fatal after each year. They were sad to read and virtually all were easily preventable.

And I should add that we did have one fatality where a Bowhunter shot and killed a hunting partner near dark years ago.