Hunter Fatally Shot Near Kremmling CO

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was shot by another member of his own hunting party. Wonder if the actual events will come out after the investigation

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Baddog

WKR
Very sad.
Story says in the 1960’s an average of 10 people shot a year? Could that actually be accurate?

I have heard a bullet or two wiz back while out hunting,
heard the report, heard the bullet but did not see exactly from where. Puts the fear of God in you, That is the reason I stopped hunting D14.
Prayers to the family

I had the wad of a shotgun hit the tree above me 29 years ago from an idiot walking in a gully shooting up at a deer in the Delaware Water Gap in NJ.

This was before safety harness’s. My shotgun had a sling and was hanging on the tree. I jumped the 10 feet to the ground. I was never so scared in my life.

I have only gun hunted twice since and that was on private property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Several years ago I was bowhunting elk solo during the archery season. I had a brand new decoy I was trying out and had a bull responding and coming in. Then out of nowhere shot after shot rung out. It was all I could do to get the heck out of there. I went directly to town to report them, and it was then I found out that the DOW had a rifle cow season concurrent with the archery season in that unit. How idiotic is that.

This is why I am hesitant to rifle hunt on public land....blaze orange or not. Sad for all involved.

I had the wad of a shotgun hit the tree above me 29 years ago from an idiot walking in a gully shooting up at a deer in the Delaware Water Gap in NJ.

This was before safety harness’s. My shotgun had a sling and was hanging on the tree. I jumped the 10 feet to the ground. I was never so scared in my life.

I have only gun hunted twice since and that was on private property.

I've had someone sneak up behind me and jump shoot my duck decoys. Right over my head. I was just speechless. I was too shook up to even really talk to the guy. Just gathered up my shit and left. I imagine this happens quite a bit.

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
ive heard a bullet wiz in front of me on private land on time.... hunter shot at a deer from the adjacent property and missed. It was easily the most frightening thing i've experienced.

hard to imagine someone in battle with that happening by the hundreds of rounds. tells you what balls our military servicemembers have. thanks God for them.

fatlander

WKR
Very sad. Prayers for the family and prayers for the person that pulled the trigger. Not only did they take a life, but ruined many others, including their own, in a tragic lapse of judgment.

This makes me think about the thread that was up a few weeks back on the legality of removing blaze orange for the hero shot. Hopefully folks will use this as another reminder that you never can be too careful.

Very sad.
Story says in the 1960’s an average of 10 people shot a year? Could that actually be accurate?
As a 30 yr Colorado volunteer Hunter Ed instructor from 1976 to 2006, I can say yes, we did have 10 fatalities per year in the 1960s. That is why the state passed laws mandating Hunter Ed if you were born in 1949 and later, plus enacted the 400 square inches of blaze orange requirements.

I don't have the data anymore, but the impacts of this were very positive with each decade following the '60s having about a 50% decline in fatalities, to where we were having about 1 fatality per year when I was last active in CO. Sounds like it is even better now.

As per the fatalities...I remember around half being around the vehicle...loading guns, unloading guns, pulling them out of vehicles, etc...basically unsafe gun handling. Mistaken identity was a lesser factor.

Be safe and good luck!

Stalker69

WKR
I have had guys shoot over me two different times. We would be “staking” the same deer once and an elk once. And I was still several hundred yards away from the animals , and trying to get closer . And shots start ringing out, and you could hear the bullets over head ,shooting at the same animal (S) And both times those guys were way way farther away then I was. None of even bothered to climb down into the draw “ canyon” to see if they even hit any of the animals. Not sure how far over my head those bullets were, but I would say way less then 20 yards. I don’t know if they just didn’t want someone else to get “ their” animals. Or if they thought they could actually shoot that far out from under me. Both instances the guys were gone by the time I walked back up outa there. And now this rage with long range shooting and stuff has people thinking if they can see it through there scope, they can hit it I guess. People are Frikin CRAZY !

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
My brother, not very experienced, but experienced enough, discharged his rifle while unloading it this year while standing right behind me. Luckily he was pointing in a safe direction. It is unacceptable and totally the fault of the hunter.

I didn't hunt with him the rest of trip. He wouldn't take full responsibility for his actions.

He will not be going again.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

About 15 years ago I was sitting in a treestand in Kansas. I was strapped to the tree with my safety harness and had a full body decoy set out in front of me. I was probably 300 yards off of the road. A pickup stops along the road, sticks out his rifle (during archery season, rifle hunting not allowed) and starts shooting at the decoy that is 10 yards away from me under my treestand. I was strapped in the tree and couldn't go anywhere. Thankfully he realized it was a decoy and tore out of there. It could have been bad.

I've also been duck hunting and be hit by pellets from guys across the way. We could see the pellets falling across the water and we ducked. They had slowed down quite a bit and didn't cause any injury, but it's still the fact that someone is shooting in your direction.

This is senseless.