Hunt Backcountry Podcast (Nightforce Interview)

JakeSCH

WKR
Great podcast from @Mark at EXO interviewing guys from Nightforce. They touch on their reliability and testing, thought it would be good listen to anyone to reads all these scope evals like I do.

I am risking it for one more year with less than adequate reliability, in January I will be swapping out my scopes for NX8's.

t_carlson

WKR
I have 3 of their SHV 3-10x42 scopes. I think they are ideal for most hunting situations, but I'm not into LR shooting.

RussDXT

WKR
In that podcast they really seemed to refer to the nxs as old tech. I just wish they would come out with an nx8 in something similar to the nxs 2.5-10.

I’ll probably gonna run a swfa 3-9 on a Seekins element next year. That being said the nx8 has been a great scope for me the last few years.

ljalberta

WKR
I liked what they had to say about them still having work to do in developing a lighter weight scope with the same degree of reliability and ruggedness. I will continue to cross my fingers we see something in that 18-21oz range with decent FFP reticle and eye box.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I like the Hunt Backcountry podcast when I actually have time to listen. This one I tuned into simply hoping to hear Nightforce say "yep, we read rokslide... and we are just about to release the SHV2.0..."
Me too. Hoping to hear about something new and exciting at SHOT show. It sounds like the drums are being beating for a lighter weight hunting specific scope. I’m really hoping an nxs in a 3-15x44, 25 or less ounces, is coming down the pipe!

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
I like the Hunt Backcountry podcast when I actually have time to listen. This one I tuned into simply hoping to hear Nightforce say "yep, we read rokslide... and we are just about to release the SHV2.0..."
Send them an email. I did awhile back with a request for what I wanted. Got a nice response back. Who knows, maybe if enough do it.....

JCMCUBIC

WKR
...3-12x42 FFP/Mil
Low profile locking elevation turret. Capped windage turret.

Yep. I'm ok with 3-12x42 or 2.5-10x42 or 3-10x42 or even 3-9x42....but the FFP/Mil, zero stopped elevation, capped windage, low 20's oz weight, with a good "hunting" reticle is what I really want.

Take a reticle clue from SWFA's milquad, Tangent Theta's LRH MRAD, Minox's THLR, or even a plain mildot with bold outer bars and the addition of .5 ticks. Something bold enough to be usable in low light, at short range, and against broken backgrounds....but still having a measured inner reticle fine enough for precision. I'll never need 3.5 mil windage, but I'll often need to bracket in low light or against broken backgrounds.

prm

WKR
Yep. I'm ok with 3-12x42 or 2.5-10x42 or 3-10x42 or even 3-9x42....but the FFP/Mil, zero stopped elevation, capped windage, low 20's oz weight, with a good "hunting" reticle is what I really want.

Take a reticle clue from SWFA's milquad, Tangent Theta's LRH MRAD, Minox's THLR, or even a plain mildot with bold outer bars and the addition of .5 ticks. Something bold enough to be usable in low light, at short range, and against broken backgrounds....but still having a measured inner reticle fine enough for precision. I'll never need 3.5 mil windage, but I'll often need to bracket in low light or against broken backgrounds.
Agree.

I enjoyed that podcast and appreciated the detail they went into on occasion. I did want to give them a 5-hr energy at times!

I’ve had a couple NFs, but can’t seem to gel with them. The reticles, lack of FFP on ones I had, different way to turn on illumination, etc.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Finally finished it. Every podcast with a manufacturer should always include the question “what new product can we expect to drop in the next year”?

That already exists (Bushnell LRHS) but you'll need to find one on the used market. It's a fantastic hunting scope.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I see this Bushnell mentioned quite often, but finding a used/discontinued Bushnell can be trouble. Also, I don't have many silly anti-company biases, but Bushnell is one of them.

sndmn11

WKR
I see this Bushnell mentioned quite often, but finding a used/discontinued Bushnell can be trouble. Also, I don't have many silly anti-company biases, but Bushnell is one of them.
That already exists (Bushnell LRHS) but you'll need to find one on the used market. It's a fantastic hunting scope.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I have two listed with zero interest. It supports my concept that people like complaining that X doesn't exist, when it has existed already in multiple forms without being a winner to the manufacturer, it still does exist in at least two new forms but still without popularity, and there's an outstanding chance that most people clamoring for the perfect "Rokslide" scope would find some minute reason to thank the appeasing manufacturer for their efforts by not buying... "it's 24oz, I wanted 22oz", or "the elevation turret doesn't lock", or "the _____ part of the reticle is/isn't illuminated", etc.

There are plenty of new and used options on the market right now that satisfy all of the reasonable needs of 100% of hunters that prioritize reliability.