Hsm 44 mag bear load

Teaman1

WKR
Random post, but was shooting a 44 mag today and decided to shoot a log that was about ten inches in diameter (not sure on wood type) the bullets penetrated 6-7 inches, but was happy with the lack of deforming.

Attachments

• 1906A8A0-A568-4ADF-9D6E-9DF21B042623.jpeg
    1906A8A0-A568-4ADF-9D6E-9DF21B042623.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 30

dla

WKR
That's what good hardcast should look like.

Here's 300gr XTP on the left, 270gr WFN on the right - all fired into the same medium.
bullets_small.JPG

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
You fired straight on toward the target, fire at an angle and check again. Not all hard casts are created equal. Much of the time those same bullets will smear, kick themselves sideways and stop very shallow (because they are traveling sideways). Thats why there are offerings like the jacketed non-expanding Punch bullet, BB's newer "mono-metal" etc

dla

WKR
You fired straight on toward the target, fire at an angle and check again. Not all hard casts are created equal. Much of the time those same bullets will smear, kick themselves sideways and stop very shallow (because they are traveling sideways). Thats why there are offerings like the jacketed non-expanding Punch bullet, BB's newer "mono-metal" etc
Nope. Unless you're talking about hard surface es, what you just wrote is incorrect. I have never seen a WFN "travel sideways", nor a Keith or an Lswc. 18bhn or harder, .355, .430, .452, .460 from a properly fitting barrel.
Deflecting off a hard surface or exiting bone may deform the bullet to the point where it starts to tumble - may.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. Unless you're talking about hard surface es, what you just wrote is incorrect. I have never seen a WFN "travel sideways", nor a Keith or an Lswc. 18bhn or harder, .355, .430, .452, .460 from a properly fitting barrel.
Deflecting off a hard surface or exiting bone may deform the bullet to the point where it starts to tumble - may.

A tumbling bullet will often make a hole through a paper target and leave a hole that matches the side profile of the bullet. "Tumble" is correct, "travel sideways" is easier for some people to visualize. Sorry if my wording was confusing, we're talking about the same thing. And yes, I've seen store bought hard cast deform enough off of an oblique angle into wood that it began to tumble.

Reactions: dla