Howa Mini or Tikka .223?

ElPollo

WKR
I have Tikkas and Howas (regular short action). Both will kill stuff. Tikkas have the smoothest actions and best factory triggers available today. The Howa is the only true 223 length action that I am aware of. To get that, you have a rougher action that is more prone to getting stuff in it. For their action length Howas tend to be heavier than Tikkas. The weight of the mini will likely be within a 1/4# of a Tikka. Factory Howa stocks generally suck. Howas are not available in stainless, but Tikkas are. The Howa detatchable magazines are less than optimal, while the Tikkas are about the best factory offering. All that except the action roughness and propensity to get junk in the action can be resolved with money. If you want a project, buy a Howa. If you prefer an easy button, buy a Tikka.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just got a tikka compact, getting it cut down to 16.5 and threaded/cerakoted, will likely put it in a stockys carbon fiber stock and have a sweet little backpack varmit rifle to rain hell on the yotes with

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I have Tikkas and Howas (regular short action). Both will kill stuff. Tikkas have the smoothest actions and best factory triggers available today. The Howa is the only true 223 length action that I am aware of. To get that, you have a rougher action that is more prone to getting stuff in it. For their action length Howas tend to be heavier than Tikkas. The weight of the mini will likely be within a 1/4# of a Tikka. Factory Howa stocks generally suck. Howas are not available in stainless, but Tikkas are. The Howa detatchable magazines are less than optimal, while the Tikkas are about the best factory offering. All that except the action roughness and propensity to get junk in the action can be resolved with money. If you want a project, buy a Howa. If you prefer an easy button, buy a Tikka.

How are they more prone to getting stuff in them? If anything, a smaller action size/port size would get LESS stuff in it if we're going by conjecture. And how are the mags less than optimal, but the Tikkas are somehow the best factory offering?

I get what you're saying, but it seems like a stretch with the above examples. I'll grant you the stock on the Tikka is stiffer, and the lack of stainless, but the rest doesn't hold water IMO.

That being said, again, Tikkas are GREAT--the evidence is overwhelming. My only gripe with Tikka would be lack of threaded barrel options for the lighter weight stuff. I'm just on a Howa kick lately and don't find any of the complaints to be valid--but admittedly I'm also in a honeymoon phase with my 6.5 Superlite.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How are they more prone to getting stuff in them? If anything, a smaller action size/port size would get LESS stuff in it if we're going by conjecture. And how are the mags less than optimal, but the Tikkas are somehow the best factory offering?

I get what you're saying, but it seems like a stretch with the above examples. I'll grant you the stock on the Tikka is stiffer, and the lack of stainless, but the rest doesn't hold water IMO.

That being said, again, Tikkas are GREAT--the evidence is overwhelming. My only gripe with Tikka would be lack of threaded barrel options for the lighter weight stuff. I'm just on a Howa kick lately and don't find any of the complaints to be valid--but admittedly I'm also in a honeymoon phase with my 6.5 Superlite.

Howa mini magazines are just this side of garbage. Reliability and correct function are heavily compromised compared to a T3 mag. Breaking them or getting the floor plate knocked off isn’t uncommon. The action is rough and the bolt binds. The trigger is decent, but needs to be relatively clean to work. All of those things are exaggerated when dust, sand, and debris is introduced.

As a mechanical object, the T3 is a far superior item. The action, trigger, barrel, and stock, and mags are all functionally better in every way- especially in compromised conditions. The action also has an integral rail, which is better than any screwed on mount.

ElPollo

WKR

With respect to debris getting into the action. See the attached photos. Howas have openings that allow water and debris to enter vertically into the bolt lug races, the safety/trigger and the bolt stop release. On the Tikka, it’s a closed top action and unless the bolt is fluted, not much is getting in there horizontally. The bolt stop is also mounted on the side of the action, so very little can get in that way. The safety is is the same spot as the Howa and has a similar opening, but the safety switch covers it to deflect most stuff from entering the action. Falling rain, snow and debris is much less likely to get into a Tikka compared to a Howa. That’s not a critical thing for everybody all the time. If you are hunting out of a box stand or at the range, probably no difference. If you’re out in the elements, the Tikka is probably more reliable.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.jpeg
    IMG_1969.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1970.jpeg
    IMG_1970.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1972.jpeg
    IMG_1972.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 52

ElPollo

WKR
On the lack of threaded options from Tikka. I’m not bothered by that because I’m always shortening the barrels I use with suppressors anyway.

ElPollo

WKR
Another difference between these two is the 2-stage trigger in the Howa vs single-stage in the Tikka. The Howa came about 5# stock and adjustments got me to about 3.5#. I replaced the trigger spring for something like $5, and the result is a really great 2#, 2-stage trigger. Short take up with a crisp break, and a little over travel. I’ve safety tested it by dropping it on the buttpad from 4’ on a hard surface without any discharges. All that said, some are not fond of 2-stage triggers.

My two current Tikkas are both stock. My older t3 adjusted down to 2# and my t3x bottomed out at 2.5#. Both of them are glass-rod crisp. I don’t know of a better factory trigger than a Tikka, but you can get a pretty darned good Howa trigger without breaking the bank.

OP
R

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I'm definitely going Tikka, and ordered an SWFA 6x already...hopefully it ships soon.

I'm trying to decide between the T3X Compact or Super Varmint 20"...I like a slightly heavier barrel, but the varmint may be too heavy. Need to handle both.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'm definitely going Tikka, and ordered an SWFA 6x already...hopefully it ships soon.

I'm trying to decide between the T3X Compact or Super Varmint 20"...I like a slightly heavier barrel, but the varmint may be too heavy. Need to handle both.
Good choice! I grabbed a compact not too long ago it balances well and is pretty handy, the stock comes with e LOP increaser as well. I’ll replace the stock but will keep the compact one for the kiddo to shoot when she gets older

You’ll like it. I was ringing steel at 700 with mine a couple days ago. My buddy who’s never shot longer than 100 yards even got some good hits in.

Attachments

• 63BF3AF2-8BFF-4B79-8A10-4379A56B9778.jpeg
    63BF3AF2-8BFF-4B79-8A10-4379A56B9778.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 36
Hey honestly both are very good. I was the dummy that chose a t/c venture lol. Great rifle but they went bankrupt!!!

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a heavy barreled .223 Howa Mini with 1:9 twist, I had the action smoothed and deburred, a trigger job done, the barrel threaded and a pic rail epoxied to the receiver by a gunsmith. The mini cost me $500 plus several hundred dollars in gunsmithing. The mini is ok and is a solid 1.5 MOA rife with 69 grain SMK. I use it as my practice rifle. If I had it to do over I would get a Tikka, they are more refined, better finish, better trigger and a much smoother action.

With respect to debris getting into the action. See the attached photos. Howas have openings that allow water and debris to enter vertically into the bolt lug races, the safety/trigger and the bolt stop release. On the Tikka, it’s a closed top action and unless the bolt is fluted, not much is getting in there horizontally. The bolt stop is also mounted on the side of the action, so very little can get in that way. The safety is is the same spot as the Howa and has a similar opening, but the safety switch covers it to deflect most stuff from entering the action. Falling rain, snow and debris is much less likely to get into a Tikka compared to a Howa. That’s not a critical thing for everybody all the time. If you are hunting out of a box stand or at the range, probably no difference. If you’re out in the elements, the Tikka is probably more reliable.
"On the Tikka, it’s a closed top action and unless the bolt is fluted, not much is getting in there horizontally. "

Would you have any concerns with the Tikka Widelands or RoughTechs that use fluted bolts? Would you actually prefer the regular T3x Stainless or SuperLites for this reason?

ElPollo

WKR
"On the Tikka, it’s a closed top action and unless the bolt is fluted, not much is getting in there horizontally. "

Would you have any concerns with the Tikka Widelands or RoughTechs that use fluted bolts? Would you actually prefer the regular T3x Stainless or SuperLites for this reason?
Yes and yes.