Howa Mini or Tikka .223?

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I've been debating this decision for a bit. I like the Howa Mini because of the small action size. I have always had pretty good luck with Howa's as well. I would likely get a barreled action and put my own stock choice on it and get new bottom metal.

I like Tikka's as well, but not a big fan of the long action for .223. I thought about going with the compact model.

Main use will be predator and I just shoot .223 a lot in general bc it's cheap to reload. Just can't make my mind up between these two.

BBob

WKR
Tikka’s are a nicer gun for sure but the Howa is certainly functional. I have a mini I chopped to 18” and put it in a Stocky’s carbon stock. Not the VG but the std sporter as I wanted a trimmer and lighter stock.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
If nothing else, I would go with the Tikka because even though you may not be thrilled with a LA with a 223 the Tikka will give you, A LOT, of options for a build if you ever wanted to build something different off of it.

My Howa mini is a solid 1-1.5 Moa rifle and has been a really fun experiment. It is no where close to a tikka in quality.

Basher

FNG
Another vote for Tikka. The Howa’s nothing to shake a stick at but there’s a reason the Tikkas can be hard to find sometimes, and as noted their aftermarket support is huge. If it were my money, I’d get the Tikka.

Im a big tikka advocate, own 3, but I opted for the howa mini for a 16” suppressed rifle. Stockys VG carbon stock.

If you wants to match ergonomics of another rifle the tikka is really nice, but I was trying to build a light and short rifle. I’m very happy with mine, it took a little tinkering, mostly with the stock inlet, but mine is shooting moa 10 shot groups with 77tmk hand loads and it feeds well.

No regrets going the howa mini route. Wish they made them in stainless though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan K

FNG
It depends if you care about price. The howa should be a fair amount cheaper. I’ve only found one howa mini at a gun store, and just by that one, it sure didn’t have a “quality” feel. Tikka is more of a mid level rifle. I ended up going with the ruger American ranch instead of the howa, but in my case wanting 7.62x39 there are very few choices, and the ruger is already 16”. As far as length of action, well, short is nice, but really if I were concerned with follow up shots on moving targets I’d want semi auto, because I’m not that quick cycling a bolt and getting back on target, but maybe you are.

Basher

FNG
As noted above, there are ultimately several factors that come in to play here. Weight, length, budget, desired upgrades, intended use, etc. If you have a Howa budget, it’ll serve you well until you can upgrade. If you want the shortest and lightest between the two, it’s Howa again. But if a bit more weight, length, and money are fine with you, the Tikka’s a solid choice.

What I’m saying is, take what we say with a grain of salt, and mesh it with your own unique needs and circumstances. The animal/target won’t know which one the bullet came from. ;)

Yeah tikka is a bit more refined but you cant go wrong with either. If price were the same then tikka

OP
R

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I’ll start shopping for a Tikka. The only thing that intrigued me about the Mini was the small action length. Weight isn’t a big concern, I’d actually prefer a TX3 UPR or CTR, but don’t see any of those in 223 anymore. Probably start with a Compact as I prefer the 20” barrel on the .223.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I like Tikkas and they've been touted on here plenty as a solid bet for any configuration. But I've looked a lot harder at the Howas lately since they have plenty of aftermarket support plus a threaded barrel from the start. Tons of chassis options out there for them, bottom metal is available from several places, and Stocky's, Hogue, and Bell and Carlson all make traditional stocks for them. If weight isn't a concern, the Howa Mini 20" heavy barrel will give you the mini action length and a threaded barrel if you can't find the CTR/UPR.

Like everyone has said, you can't go wrong with either of them.

aschuler

FNG
I have one of each, although my Howa is a standard short action, not the mini. But I thought I'd add to the other comments that the Howa has a 3 position trigger in case that's important to you. The Tikka has a 2 position and "safe" locks the bolt.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I have one of each, although my Howa is a standard short action, not the mini. But I thought I'd add to the other comments that the Howa has a 3 position trigger in case that's important to you. The Tikka has a 2 position and "safe" locks the bolt.
Assuming you mean safety?