Howa Mini in 22 ARC

ThatDUDE

WKR
I am having my gunsmith turn my Howa Mini in 6mm ARC into a 22 ARC.

I have a Stockys VG stock on the way.

The load data is very promising. I can get less drop and drift with the 88 ELDM compared to the 108.

It’s going to be a month or two, but I will keep this thread updated.

I have a Taperless 750 with a 1/7 twist coming. It’s going to be finished at 18”.

OP
ThatDUDE

ThatDUDE

WKR
I ended up pausing that build. I read somewhere that Howa may come out with the 22 ARC this next year. I had a hard time paying $500 for a rebarrel when I could get the whole gun for that.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Definitely fun! It’s cool shooting the high BC 22 bullets out of a little rifle.

I built a 6BRA on a mini Howa and then added another barrel in 22BR. Have to open the bolt face a little for the larger case, but dang fun shooting gun.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well

Would it be a thread hijack if I asked what’s better for deer sized game…6 or 22 ARC?
Same-same IMO, if you are hand loading, you can shoot heavier for caliber bullets faster in 22 than similar 6mm bullets.

I haven’t looked at loaded ammo, but look at velocity and ballistics and distance/terminal velocity for each.

Man thats exciting. If only howas were more ..... refined....
I sanded/polished the bolt which helped tremendously.

The Guide

WKR
Well

Would it be a thread hijack if I asked what’s better for deer sized game…6 or 22 ARC?
Define "better"...

22 ARC will be like a hopped up 223 with the ability to shoot higher weight/BC bullets than the regular 223. Will extend the range 100 to 300 yards with same bullets from the 223 but with more powder and lower barrel life.

6mm ARC is like a detuned 6CM. Can shoot all the same bullets but in a lower velocity range that makes its maximum range around 200 yard shorter than a 6CM but with less recoil and longer barrel life.

Either would be great deer sized game cartridges with the 22 ARC maybe having a tiny bit further reach but the 6 ARC is more mainstream and easier to find.

Each person has to define their own "better".

Jay

OP
ThatDUDE

ThatDUDE

WKR
I am learning that I enjoy the shooting process so much more with the smaller cartridges. I have shot more with a 6 ARC this year than any year previous. I see the 22 ARC allowing me to get a little shorter barrel, even less recoil, and still maintain a +\- 600 yard effective range.