How Would You Respond?

Super tag

WKR
with everything in life that needs attention this is what I’m reading - god help me

your way too sensitive, this scenario wouldn’t have even been an afterthought

Marble

WKR
I recently returned from a successful elk hunt with a friend and an acquaintance. All three of us were fortunate to tag out. The acquaintance was a first time big game hunter and was along for the experience and to learn, self-admittedly.

Long story short, the three of us were spread around separate ridges when the elk started to move. The elk moved away from my friend and myself and toward the acquaintance on the opposing ridge. I walky talkied the acquaintance that the elk were moving his way and that I'd pursue at a safe angle not to interrupt his shooting lanes. I pursued the elk and the acquaintance rang out a safe/ethical shot, but thought he missed. The elk were then startled by his shot and they reversed back toward me, giving me a shot, which I took successfully. My elk went down but then after 15 seconds, it stood up with it's front legs only. I put another shot in it, good hit, but it still kept dragging its hind legs. I then hear a shot in the distance, it was the acquaintance, shooting at my elk to put it down (which I did not ask him to do). I was about to put a third shot in it before I heard his shot ring out.

Again, the acquaintance is on his first big game hunt and does a lot of reading and watches a lot of meat eater. He didn't act like what he did was wrong, but more of the ethical thing for him to do. I think he was caught up in the excitement of the moment and didn't think that it was my responsibility to finish off my animal, which I intended to do. All my shots were quality shots, and his shot was from a distance beyond what he said he felt comfortable with beforehand, but felt compelled to put the animal out of its misery (which I was in the process of doing). What he didn't realize was that his shot was hit near the back end, which may have ended up ruining some of my meat (puncturing internals).

I know y'all are picking up on the vibe of how I feel about it, but I'd like to get y'alls opinion.

PS, earlier I mentioned the acquaintance ringing out the first shot and thinking he missed...he thought so because he saw no blood. I encouraged him to go and take a better look...he and my friend found a big elk 40 yards from where it was shot...and it was huge. If I did not encourage the acquaintance to look for his elk, a perfectly beautiful animal would have been wasted.
If you like the guy and want to keep hunting with him, just teach him, get him some experience. People get excited.. seems like he got the chance to learn some important lessons on his first trip.

Don't hold people to the same standard of knowledge and experience as you have. I've made this mistake.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’d be stoked if a stranger put a bullet in a marginally hit bull, better yet someone I was hunting with. In my opinion, putting that bull down quickly takes priority over my ideal scenario. What if you didn’t have that 2nd or 3rd shot? Hope you didn’t lose much meat, and congrats on your bull.

OP
jreyna

jreyna

FNG
Thanks for the input. Great points all around. I definitely see where I could have and should have done better and I even had a convo with him last evening about it. The conversation went well and was mutually beneficial. I took ownership of my failure to communicate well prior to and after the harvest. If things line up right, we may try to get back out there again as a group next year.

I also appreciate the candor here, whether it was to help or to burn, there’s always something to take away from the feedback. I’m always learning and thank y’all for taking the time to comment. Good luck to any others finishing up their seasons.

OP
jreyna

jreyna

FNG
If you like the guy and want to keep hunting with him, just teach him, get him some experience. People get excited.. seems like he got the chance to learn some important lessons on his first trip.

Don't hold people to the same standard of knowledge and experience as you have. I've made this mistake.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Very very well said. I’ll take that to heart.

i also think he was in the right as long as he knew where you were and it was all safe. Unless there was a doscussuion before hand. And as long as there isnt drama over him finoshing off a crippled bull but thats all pre hunt details that need to be discussed. Congrats on a great hunt

cgasner1

WKR
Your friend did the right thing. Some day your gonna be laying in bed wishing someone had put a extra bullet or arrow in a bull you hit. They are a big tough animal. Sounds like you guys had a great trip next time might not be that way when the bull gets out of sight and is gone forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
You shoot elk until they’re down. 3 quarters are better than no quarters.

Most states have a law such as:
“The use of two-way electronic communication is prohibited:
(a) while in the act of hunting game animals or wolves to aid in the taking or locating of live animals”
This is what I was thinking when I first read it

williaada

WKR
It sounds like you might have found someone who you could go on multiple hunts on. Especially if you are willing to work on the relationship. Finding people who you can count on is hard to find. I have 3 brothers who I hunt with. Other than them I go with my wife, children, or solo.

sndmn11

WKR
I don't think the acquaintance did anything wrong shooting the wounded elk in and of itself and definitely does not need any sort of counsel. He probably needs a huge thank you. The elk isn't yours until you kill it and if this were a scenario where you guys didn't know each other and it was another random hunter, that elk would be his to claim.

I do think counseling about looking for his first elk is well warranted.

mt100gr.

WKR
OP: I've read and reread and have a question (100% insignificant in context with the discussion, lol).....did you guys all shoot bulls?? It would be awesome if you did, but any hunt I've been on would have been UNBELIEVABLE to get a triple on cows! And a shipton of work without having to pack antlers!

Again, you only say "elk", and it definitely doesn't matter. Just curious.

OP: I've read and reread and have a question (100% insignificant in context with the discussion, lol).....did you guys all shoot bulls?? It would be awesome if you did, but any hunt I've been on would have been UNBELIEVABLE to get a triple on cows! And a shipton of work without having to pack antlers!

Again, you only say "elk", and it definitely doesn't matter. Just curious.
I was thinking the same thing. If I was with 2 other guys and we all dropped an elk at the same time, it would be a, “great, now what?” kind of situation. I’m not sure we could get them all out in the same day.

jayhawk

WKR
There are so many nuances to hunting that hunters ed doesn't teach anyone. It's just not thorough enough to teach in-depth about tracking, wounding, ethics, etiquette, etc. It's more like "Here's how to not shoot yourself in the foot." And that doesn't even include nuanced "rules" between various groups of hunters.

Talk to him and take it as a learning experience for both of you. Be a good friend.

I'll take this side, what would have happened if you walked up and asked him to tag it since he took the killing shot then found his dead elk? Sounds like a teaching moment to me.
The elk was not going anywhere but he shot it anyway, did he have 2 tags, probably not so he should not have shot the elk after he took a shot.
Not all elk need bullets into them until they fall.
Surprised no one else talked about this.
The moment he already killed an elk then decided to shoot OPs it became illegal. Unless he had another tag in his pocket?

Sometimes it takes a bit for a critter to die no matter how much you shoot them. Everyone's hating on OP, but it sounds like a dude without a tag shot his elk. 😂

Scoot

WKR
This whole thread confuses me. I'm still trying to figure out what anyone did wrong, other than poor shooting from the OP.

No sympathy here. You made some horrable shots then looking for justification. At least you cant blame the broadhead. Maybe you can blame the ammo or the gun. Do like i do. When on occasion i make a bad shot, chalk it up to making a bad shot without blame on anyone but you 😉