How Would You Respond?

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like your buddy’s shot might have been the only decent one the way you described your shots. Potentially both of you are shooting farther than you should be.

Take it easy. He thought he was doing the right thing and you all punched tags. 3/3 is much better than the vast majority of guys on here did this season. Discuss it as men, shake hands, and don't be jealous if his bull was bigger than yours.

Check regs. on radios and knock that $hit off it not allowed. In IA you can only use radios to give direction of animals when yote hunting.

cnelk

WKR
1- Not knowing what state you were hunting it’s hard to comment on the 2 way radio part. If you were in Colorado, you’re okay. Not sure about other states

2- I’m definitely not a rookie elk hunter, but I would’ve shot your elk too - since yours wasn’t a lethal shot.

tdhanses

WKR
Use of radios in country that holds 75% of elk is illegal!

I’d be less worried about the loss of meat vs what you post on the internet but even if legal that’s a crappy way to hunt, worse then ebikes imo, but hey you killed 3 elk.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
A new hunter has no expectation other than what he’s been told or seen on random hunting shows. I agree with most of the others above. He thought he was doing a favor to you and the animal to humanely and quickly kill the elk. You wouldn’t be making this post if it was a quick kill by a well placed shot. As long as your safety wasn’t in jeopardy, let him know you would prefer to finish the animal yourself in the future and move on. I typically hunt alone for numerous reasons. This may be the better option for you

npm352

WKR
Unless it was unsafe, which you said it wasn't, I wouldn't get upset. He kind of cleaned up your mess....not a dig on you, we all have made poor shots.

I'd say you both ended up with elk and should be happy. It also sounds like had he not shot and ruined some of your meat, you may not have recovered the animal.

Also, please post picture of these elk.

1. Your use of walkie talkies was likely illegal.

2. You didn’t make a great shot on your elk, it is likely your shot was the one that was further back based on your description of events.

3. The acquaintance did the right thing and put your elk down. You did the right thing encouraging him to look for his elk.

If this was in Idaho, the use of the 2 way (ground to ground) communication is perfectly legal, however shooting someone else's animal under the circumstances explained could be considered "party hunting" which is illegal and considered poaching. Not every game warden would have issued a citation, but many would have.

If this was in Idaho, the use of the 2 way (ground to ground) communication is perfectly legal, however shooting someone else's animal under the circumstances explained could be considered "party hunting" which is illegal and considered poaching. Not every game warden would have issued a citation, but many would have.
I was going to say the same thing about Montana in regards to multiple shooters being illegal. Basically you can't finish off someone's elk, the intent being to stop a group of shooters blazing down one animal.

wytx

WKR
I'll take this side, what would have happened if you walked up and asked him to tag it since he took the killing shot then found his dead elk? Sounds like a teaching moment to me.
The elk was not going anywhere but he shot it anyway, did he have 2 tags, probably not so he should not have shot the elk after he took a shot.
Not all elk need bullets into them until they fall.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's silly to say the other guy should've been shooting as well. If I shoot an animal good or bad and I'm still within sight of it and making follow up shots, I don't want anybody else shooting. If an animal is still kicking does that entitle the whole group to start slinging lead?

rayporter

WKR
if i had shot an elk and my pard shot one that was trying to get up there is a fair chance i would make sure his elk was down but that is the way we ran. we shot till they were down for sure.