How to save money buying a new bow?

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
So, you’ve gone through the long process of picking out your perfect mid level to flagship level new bow. How do you save money when buying it? Do dealers negotiate? Do bows go on sale? Do dealers throw in service or warranty?

Trial153

WKR
Just wait for the new models to come out and the pick your either used or discounted. eBay or archery talk are good places to find them.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Second the AT method. Picked out the Hoyt I wanted last fall and then kept watch. Bought a Axius Ultra this spring with perfect specs and even in the camo I wanted for $500 less than retail.
Bought several on eBay over the years and only had issues with one and it was returned.
Except to pay to have it setup in a shop if you don’t have the equipment to do it yourself.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It can be a crapshoot hoping to find new models a year+ old still sitting on a rack, but that does happen occasionally. When buying anything, you just have to be patient and not be in a position of absolutely "needing" the item immediately. That's how you can save the most for any purchase.

Joshk358

FNG
Agree with a couple of the other guys...wait a few month and buy a lightly used one on Archery Talk.

stump06

WKR
I just bought a pretty much brand new Hoyt Axius on AT for a good discount. They guy said he never took it into the woods and it looks like it. I think AT or some FB buy sell groups are your best bet. Just keep an eye out and you can snag a good deal but they tend to go quick.
I have all the stuff to work on my bows and love to tinker so I'll usually buy several a year and sell what I don't like.

CB4

WKR
Most of the time a new bow means you want a new rest, sight, quiver, and stabilizers as well. I spent 2 years upgrading those and used them on my 9 year old bow knowing in a couple I would spend a lot on a new bow. Its not really saving money but spreading it out on the accessories.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the time a new bow means you want a new rest, sight, quiver, and stabilizers as well. I spent 2 years upgrading those and used them on my 9 year old bow knowing in a couple I would spend a lot on a new bow. Its not really saving money but spreading it out on the accessories.
Just did the same thing last year. Got a new sight and rest to upgrade my old bow I got in high school in preparation for this new one.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the ideas about going used. I considered it but it doesn’t seem like anyone is offering one cheap enough rn to make it worth it. I’m a 32” draw and pretty constrained on which bows I can use so I’m probably going to have to eat the cost and go new.

Few bows offer a warranty past original owner, so keep that in mind. Most shops will work with you bundling things.

I have hardly used a warranty, and never more than $225 in parts I couldn't have purchased, but I still like having it.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Few bows offer a warranty past original owner, so keep that in mind. Most shops will work with you bundling things.

I have hardly used a warranty, and never more than $225 in parts I couldn't have purchased, but I still like having it.
Good point, I’m a big fan of seekins precision, or badlands lifetime warranty. I wish there was a bow manufacturer that had better customer service like that.

Good point, I’m a big fan of seekins precision, or badlands lifetime warranty. I wish there was a bow manufacturer that had better customer service like that.

Elite offered lifetime warranty on stuff til mid '17 I believe. Fully transferable. I have used it on bows that I was however many owners down the line.

However I can't think of anything in your drawlength that they offered off top of my head.

does anyone have any side hustle ideas ?
if you work in a resort area and have food service background working banquets is easy good money. event planners will usually hire anyone. can check out craigslist gigs too, kinda depends or your skillset. can you fix cars? detail cars, do construction handman tasks? you gotta either decrease spending or increase your income.

OP i prefer ebay for used bows, especially if first starting out. When i was first getting into archery, i got kinda burned on archerytalk buying a bow i thought had (just cosmetic wear they said) but it was actaully something that cost me 200$ to repair (limb chip).I didnt know any better, but lesson learned. I wouldnt buy anything less than great condition if buying from there. I prefer ebay now bc f you ever have any issue it is much more buyer friendly but you do have to pay your state's sales tax. Shippijng is pretty cut and dry there too and a lot of sellers balk at shipping bows to hawaii so it makes it easier for me too. sellers and buyers also seem a little less knowledgeable too on ebay which helps for better deals if looking around. found the best deals are fully loaded bows with premium accessories.Accessories I don't want I sell on archerytalk, FB buy sell groups, or ebay. instead of paying 6-700 for a bare used bow that bare bow ends up being 4-500 after I part it out. A workaround for being the (sorry didnt buy this bow from you but can you tune it for me) guy at the local bow shop is to order strings from them and then they are obligated to get it in spec and set up for you and get you dialed.

Wapiti406

WKR
If you end up deciding on a new bow and going through a local shop ask what the cash price would be. If your dealing with a small business they'll more often than not cut you a deal if paying in cash.

Beendare

WKR
So, you’ve gone through the long process of picking out your perfect mid level to flagship level new bow. How do you save money when buying it? Do dealers negotiate? Do bows go on sale? Do dealers throw in service or warranty?
I look at it a little different.

When I was buying compounds, the trial and error and testing multiple bows and the time I spent getting it setup right is a valuable service I am more than willing to pay for at a bow shop. Im typically going to have that bow for 5-10yrs. If there are any after purchase problems, I want that shop in my corner.

In other words, I’m fine with paying for a good customer experience and the service. Wayne at Archery Only in Newark went out of his way and ordered me a couple of lefty bows to try. I rely on his expert advice. That is absolutely worth the $$ to me.