How to minimize sore feet, knees and joints?

Grover

FNG
I am coming up on age 60 and dealing with very sore ankles, feet, knees, hips, etc. Still out there doing my best with spiking out for 3-4 nights but the pain is real. I have bought the best boots I can afford and use trekking poles. Any ideas on ways to lessen the hurt? Ibprofun, ankle braces, even looking at CBD. What am I missing that will help me extend hunting the way I enjoy for a couple more years?

Glucosamine and NUUN tablets for starters. Take an Aleve every morning or night also.

If more than that is required, look into dietary changes. Ryan Lampers talks a lot about it, they have a podcast called Sthealthy Hunter I believe. Basically cut out grains as a baseline.

Might also be good to consider your hunting style. If you can make use of glassing, reading sign, and callling, you might be able to continue much longer than just a few more years.

Glucosamine and NUUN tablets for starters. Take an Aleve every morning or night also.

If more than that is required, look into dietary changes. Ryan Lampers talks a lot about it, they have a podcast called Sthealthy Hunter I believe. Basically cut out grains as a baseline.

Might also be good to consider your hunting style. If you can make use of glassing, reading sign, and callling, you might be able to continue much longer than just a few more years.
NUUN just ordered. Thanks for the help. I already take Glucosamine and am on a low-carb diet which cuts out grains. But I will track down the Ryan Lampers podcast and see what else I can learn. Appreciate your post.

I'd make sure you have a decent sleeping pad to alleviate hip pain. The ground can be a killer when you get older. I have bone on bone knees but WA Hydrate and Recover really seems to help with that knee pain.....at least their old stuff. I tried some new stuff and think they're selling a placebo now. But I have a bunch of the old stuff I save for hunting seasons and it works. Beyond that.......Aleve or Ibuprofen.

Try devil's club salve with hemp oil...also tart cherry juice...I use both. Only 40, but I work construction, most nights I go home feeling like I got ran over by a truck....

This, Ryan lampers is a wealth of info ,his wife to. I recently started taking a cbd supplement they sell and I can honestly say it seems to really help me with soreness. I can workout longer and more often and dont have the sore knees and muscles i did after a workout.

Stuff is $$$ but if it helps I am all in.

CBD oil and a ketogenic diet! CBD oil is near-miraculous for joint and nerve pain. I'd hate to have to live without the stuff. You won't get any buzz or anything, the amount of THC is nearly too low to measure. If you don't already take it I'd suggest Tumeric with Curcumin and cayenne pepper. The last two supplements are available in capsule form and are best taken with food. You should start with a small amount of cayenne and work your way up. I take 3 x 1000mg caps twice daily. The main thing is to take things that reduce inflammation and keep things out of your diet that exacerbate it.

Change your diet...Read up on Ayurveda...basically an ancient holistic medicine more based on healthy diet and attitude.

Many anti inflammatory herbs and foods.

Lay off the sugar and carbs!!!

CBD works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that I need more padding on my feet. Even the best hiking boots usually come with trash insoles. Find the correct insoles for your particular feet. I also wear socks with additional padding on the bottom, laces, and toes of the socks. I use thinner padded socks when it's hot and switch to heavier socks when cold. I buy boots that are around 1 size larger than I usually wear so I can add padded insoles and socks. when it's hot I'll cinch up the laces for thinner socks and relax the laces for thicker socks.

One of the best items for super steep, rocky slopes is a set of trekking poles....especially when packing heavy loads. They are a bit noisy for hunting but are a lifesaver when packing camp or game. Your knees and ankles will thank you!

The lighter your pack and gear the easier it will be on your legs, feet, etc. I upgraded all of my heavier equipment, clothes, rifle, etc several years ago. I also upgraded my pack. You'll find a high end pack/frame will carry a load a lot easier...your back, arms, legs, and feet will thank you! I've gotten pretty good at figuring out what I actually use while scouting and hunting and what additional items I don't need.

Stay in year-round great shape and don't over do it!

Last edited:
If your not on a fitness exercise program I would advise getting on one.
Eat all natural foods, get your omega 3 to omega 6 ratio balanced and drop body fat.
It will only get worse as you age so might as well address the issue and move forward.
Hips/core are a crucial area and it can take a year or two to get them fit again if you have neglected your fitness, well worth it as quality of life goes up.

Last edited:
This is what I’ve found works best for me.

Curcumin(turmeric extract)pills with BioPerine. The BioPerine actually helps your body absorb the curcumin more effectively. Take 3 times a day for inflammation and pain.

So I recently started making my own CBD omega oil, it’s wayyy cheaper this way. No need to take fish oil and CBD separately.

This is what you buy.
30ml dropper bottle. $10
Flavored Total Omega oil(fish, flax, borage) 2400mg 8oz.(Barleans) $15
1000mg of CBD isolate. $30
The Omega oil is the the carrier for the CBD and performs the same as the BioPerine for the curcumin. It dissolves in it very well too.

The recipe.
Mix 1000mg CBD Isolate with 1oz Omega oil in the bottle. One dropper is 33mg of CBD and a good amount of Omega oil too. Depends on how much you need but typically will do 3ml a day myself during strenuous activity. Can do more of you need.

The last thing I take is Rapid Rehydr8 pills(electrolyte). Top choice of marathon runners for cramps and stamina. I run a water bladder so the NUUN tablets aren’t the best for on the go and I find they arent nearly as good as these. I can pop them in my mouth anytime and not have to wait for them to dissolve. If I need flavor I just use Mio Energy liquid with B vitamins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the pain your describing I've had to learn to manage on the exo mountain gear death hikes (40-100 Mile weekend hikes) leuko tape is a miracle for your feet. It's good for way more than blisters and I do nearly my entire foot. It help keep all the ligaments from stretching out. Hydration is really big too. I also start taking the anti inflammatory medicine a couple days before and I soak anything that hurts in the coldest water available whenever I get a chance.

I have been adding turmeric to my morning shakes and it has really helped. As others have said if you don’t like the taste of it you can by it in pill form. Good luc.

Vitamin C is required for the production and maintenance of cartilage. Scurvy is caused by the lack of vitamin c.

Most doctors will say cartilage can't heal, but that isn't quite accurate. It can heal, it just takes a really loooooooooong time, months and months. It takes so long because there is no blood flow inside cartilage to deliver nutrients like in muscles.

Vitamin C is water soluble. Any excess is quickly flushed out. I try to get vitamin c in my diet multiple times a day to keep my levels up. This and physical therapy helped me avoid surgery for a ruptured disc and recover faster than the doctors told me was possible.

Is the pain constant (at rest) or during/after strenuous activity?
Pain that is constant may point to a more structural issue than just inflammation.
Pain after activity could be pointing to a strength deficiency that physical therapy or targeted exercise could help alleviate.
If you haven't sought a physician's input or a physical therapist, I would highly recommend it. Physical therapy is fairly cheap and covered by most insurances (they rather pay for that than surgery).

I'd also look at everything people already said.
I am terrible at taking my own advice though and tend to grunt through it.

Jocko Willink's Joint warfare, I'm only 26 and this helps me alot with my hands and knees, I notice if I go without it.

Jocko Joint Warfare by Origin Labs - Joint Support - Curcumin Supplements - Glucosamine - MSM - Boswellia - Quercetin - Joint Supplements - 400mg - 180 Tablets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076MMP9YN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_20BrDbKVRY6H3

I have "jumpers knee" and these little braces are life savers, it only really shows itself on down hill and they have helped.

Mueller Sport Care Mueller Sport... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FNJH3A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Being a healthy eater is crucial for me. No bread or no junk food helps alot. I've gotten to a point were if i do eat like shit, I feel like shit all over. I'll be groggy/tired and I can literally feel the inflammation.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back