How to know if your local bow shop is good?

rclouse79

WKR
I think it can even be the luck of the draw at the same shop. My bow shop has gotten so busy they are way backed up and have been hiring new people to keep up. I just got a new bow and one of the guys working on my bow had to ask another guy how to tie in a peep. I get that everyone has to learn, but I don’t want them doing it on my bow!

WMag338

WKR
Good to know! Yea, I won’t be using it like a bow shop, just a few times a year so that should work. Also, I’m sure once purchased, my buddies will also take advantage which I’m fine with because I love working on stuff like that! Thanks for the input!
Def get the LCA draw board attachment for the EZ Green. Its a great setup for sure.

I’m just wondering how to tell if your local bow shop is good and trustworthy? I’ve had a few things done to my bow at the local shop but when I get it back, it seems like my peep is moved and the bow is not how I took it in. I’m not sure if I’m asking the right questions or not explaining exactly what I want done. I’m debating on getting an ez press to start doing my own work just because of my experience with a couple of the bow shops in the area. Thoughts?
I would learn to do everything yourself. No shops will do a stellar job at tuning your bow. How I can tell is that I paper tune every arrow. Most of the time, the shop hasn't even done that. Even if they have a technician will not have the same form that you do. This means, if he paper tuned the bow for his form it may not be paper tuned for yours. Then I nock tune my arrows until it is shooting a bullet hole. This is where you shoot your arrow and if it is tearing the paper, I rotate the arrow. I do this until it shoots a bullet hole (ie no tear) This is obviously after I have already paper tuned and walk back tuned my bow. While tuning all my arrows, if I cannot get an arrow to tune after nock tuning, I throw it in the pile of practice arrows. Then when I'm ready to choose hunting arrows, I weigh them and spin them with their broadheads. I also weigh then each arrow has to be within +/- 1 grain or they go into the practice arrow pile. Then, each full arrow has to spin without any movement of the tip when I spin test them. After that you could do some torque tuning and or bare shaft tuning but that's if you are as obsessed with bow hunting as I am and most of these roksliders are.

OP
M
I would learn to do everything yourself. No shops will do a stellar job at tuning your bow. How I can tell is that I paper tune every arrow. Most of the time, the shop hasn't even done that. Even if they have a technician will not have the same form that you do. This means, if he paper tuned the bow for his form it may not be paper tuned for yours. Then I nock tune my arrows until it is shooting a bullet hole. This is where you shoot your arrow and if it is tearing the paper, I rotate the arrow. I do this until it shoots a bullet hole (ie no tear) This is obviously after I have already paper tuned and walk back tuned my bow. While tuning all my arrows, if I cannot get an arrow to tune after nock tuning, I throw it in the pile of practice arrows. Then when I'm ready to choose hunting arrows, I weigh them and spin them with their broadheads. I also weigh then each arrow has to be within +/- 1 grain or they go into the practice arrow pile. Then, each full arrow has to spin without any movement of the tip when I spin test them. After that you could do some torque tuning and or bare shaft tuning but that's if you are as obsessed with bow hunting as I am and most of these roksliders are.
Well, decided to get the bow press and start working on my own stuff. I am very much like you where I went down a lot of rabbit holes on here as well as YouTube and I want to dial in each hunting arrow. I want to fine tune everything as much as I can to “me”. Thank you so much for the input and good luck out there!

Trees91

WKR
If they've never heard of hamskea.
If they don't want to top hat tune.
If the target behind the paper tune stand is to close so the arrow hits before it clears the paper....I had to point that out...

I'm sure there's more.....I have a press, vice and draw board now....

Just did something this holiday season I should have done 20 years ago.Waiting on podium & hamskea levels,riser and micro adjustment for vise and ill be good.
Faced it towards the back so I can utilize bench for guns etc and swing it out when I need to press or cut arrows a few times a year.Have last chance draw board in drawer as well as arrow scale.Sick of driving a hour round trip and usually not satisfied with the work.

Attachments

• A982177C-C73B-4C1B-86A8-FCDDB1AF02B1.jpeg
    A982177C-C73B-4C1B-86A8-FCDDB1AF02B1.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 15

TL616

FNG
Learn how to do a couple basic things, then get them out of adjustment. Bring it in and watch them fix your bow, if they can’t do some easy stuff to your liking, move on. I always make it a point to ask questions while their fixing to see if their full of it or not.

just tell your shop you are shooting to 80 yds and see what reaction you get. thats my go to and works every time. I love the remarks I get, and love showing them up at local 3D shoots.
even if you do your own stuff, don't discount your local shops knowledge. they may actually know something and be willing to help you learn. unless you actually know they aren't good of course.

Learn to do it all yourself. Shops can be great and have one good tech out of 3 techs. If you want to guarantee things are getting done right you just need to learn it yourself. Luckily with Youtube and forums, you can learn pretty quickly.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I have this same question and worry.
I have a gunsmith buddy that has a bunch of fancy toys and he told me for sure don’t let the local shop work on one if I decide to get a compound. They bring him about 2-3 bows a week where they round out bolts or break them off and he has to drill them out with his press or re-thread a damaged area.

The shop by my girlfriend’s house has a much better reputation, even solid online reviews and looking at their inventory of bows and accessories.. much more premium

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
It's kinda comical how much business local archery shops have driven to LCA.

Like others said, buy a press and DIY

K_Wells

FNG
My I’m really happy with my local shop. They listen well and do plenty of tweaks and adjustments on my bow when I want to try stuff. Their work area is visible from their counter and usually if they do any work on my bow they have me hang out back there too. They usually ask me to shoot or draw my bow through any work that is being done to make sure it is right and fits me. They’re also the only shop in my town that makes me shoot my own bow when paper tuning. I usually leave having learned something. I was once interested in a release, but they were sold out so one of the owners offered to let me borrow his personal release for the season.

I’d say go with your gut. If you don’t feel like your dealing with the experts then find another shop or start learning to do some of the work on your own. I dream of one day have an unfinished basement with a lamplit corner with a work bench and secondhand bow shop tools… but I will still probably go to my bow shop and shoot the bull with those guys every now and then because they’re good guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently went all in and bought a press, draw board, vise, saw, etc. I figured if I didn’t spend some money upfront I would get lazy and just go back to the shop. Once you start tinkering you can learn really fast. Lots of good resources here and on YouTube. I watch/read anything I can pick out what works for me or what I Like best. Everyone has an opinion on what material is best, best knots, etc. Every bow is different and will need to be tweaked accordingly.
I can’t believe I waited so long to learn. It’s not terribly hard if just have some patience and go slow. (I took an old bowstring and stretched it by itself with press to practice knots and stuff before I touched a new bowstring.)
I will warn you if you’re at all OCD you’ll be spending a lot of time behind your new bench. It’s fun and I have learned more in a few weeks than my did in the past 20 years.