How to know if your local bow shop is good?

I’m just wondering how to tell if your local bow shop is good and trustworthy? I’ve had a few things done to my bow at the local shop but when I get it back, it seems like my peep is moved and the bow is not how I took it in. I’m not sure if I’m asking the right questions or not explaining exactly what I want done. I’m debating on getting an ez press to start doing my own work just because of my experience with a couple of the bow shops in the area. Thoughts?

Marble

WKR
You would be better off for sure. You may screw some things up, but you'll figure it out.

My local shop has some good people and some that are really good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
If they have you shoot the bow through paper, and use a Hamskea level while you are at full draw to set your 3rd axis then they are good.

Jimbob

WKR
When I started archery my local shop was horrible. Brought my bow in to get a new string installed and they gave it back to me and my top cam was hitting 3/8" before the bottom. I bought a press soon after that and learned to do things myself.

OP
M
You would be better off for sure. You may screw some things up, but you'll figure it out.

My local shop has some good people and some that are really good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That’s what makes it a tough decision, the guys that work there are super nice! There are a couple of guys that stand out that really know their stuff but unfortunately everyone in town knows that and will only let them touch their bow so they’re always backed up.

jimh406

WKR
The local archery clubs can usually help you evaluate the shops. But, they also will usually help you learn how to do maintenance of your equipment. Even if you only join for a year or so, you’ll learn if you try.

WMag338

WKR
Man. I could go on for days about my local shop. They only stock and sell the absolute cheapest accessories made. You have to beg and plead with them to paper tune. I asked them to level a new sight that I had bought and the tech looked at me like I was crazy. I had them install a new string and they put a 1/4" peep in and threw my 3/16" peep in the trash. I didn't take long for me to realize they were not doing me any favors. I have since found a new shop and purchased my own press.

kpk

WKR
I once took a brand new bow in that I had ordered. Bowtech something or other that I was unable to adjust the draw length on as one of the cam screws was behind the limb.

The guy at the "biggest bowtech authorized shop around" drew the bow hand, rotated wrist, and basically blew the bow up when it de-railed. They had to replace the limbs, string, and cable.

I then build a press and haven't been to a shop for bow work since - probably close to 10 years now.

There are some guys in shops that know what they're doing but they seem to be far and few between anymore.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Get the press and any other tools to do it yourself you will save time and money in the end and be better for it. There is nothing better then going in the shop buying your bow and telling them to leave it in the box cause you will set it up yourself. I have the same stuff with shops here nice people but just do half azz work so 2 years ago I went all in and have my own bow shop now. Wish I did it 20 years ago…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Man. I could go on for days about my local shop. They only stock and sell the absolute cheapest accessories made. You have to beg and plead with them to paper tune. I asked them to level a new sight that I had bought and the tech looked at me like I was crazy. I had them install a new string and they put a 1/4" peep in and threw my 3/16" peep in the trash. I didn't take long for me to realize they were not doing me any favors. I have since found a new shop and purchased my own press.
Yea, it’s tough to find a good shop these days. How is the new bow press working out for you?

OP
M
Get the press and any other tools to do it yourself you will save time and money in the end and be better for it. There is nothing better then going in the shop buying your bow and telling them to leave it in the box cause you will set it up yourself. I have the same stuff with shops here nice people but just do half azz work so 2 years ago I went all in and have my own bow shop now. Wish I did it 20 years ago…

Exactly what I’m thinking! And with Dudley and YouTube, I’m sure I can figure out most of the stuff myself! Thanks for the input!

87TT

WKR
Haven't been to a shop in years/ I can't imagine not doing my own stuff.

OP
M
Thank you all for the great advice! I think the way to go is buy a bow press and draw board and start doing it myself. My next question is, looking at bow presses, I’ve been reading a lot of good things about Last Chance Archery E Z Press. Any thoughts about this press or do you recommend a better solution? Thanks in advance!

My local shop is the reason I bought a press and started working on my own stuff do. I work on a few buddies bows for them as well now. The local shop has 2 guys I woukd trust work on my bow I will buy from them and when I need dealer only parts but I enjoy working on bows far to much to pay someone anymore

Also I have an ez green and since I'm not using it everyday all day I think it is perfect for what my use is. I have the draw board the slides in the ends I like that as well but think I might change a thing or 2 on it soon.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

WMag338

WKR
My local shop is the reason I bought a press and started working on my own stuff do. I work on a few buddies bows for them as well now. The local shop has 2 guys I woukd trust work on my bow I will buy from them and when I need dealer only parts but I enjoy working on bows far to much to pay someone anymore

Also I have an ez green and since I'm not using it everyday all day I think it is perfect for what my use is. I have the draw board the slides in the ends I like that as well but think I might change a thing or 2 on it soon.

LCA Easy Green

OP
M

Good to know! Yea, I won’t be using it like a bow shop, just a few times a year so that should work. Also, I’m sure once purchased, my buddies will also take advantage which I’m fine with because I love working on stuff like that! Thanks for the input!

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider

I have the same thing and I like the draw board feature but the thing I don’t like is letting the press out to check something then winding it back in to make the change then rinse repeat. So I built my own draw board that mounts to my bench. Much faster for me and it’s right under my press so just let down put in press.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the great advice! I think the way to go is buy a bow press and draw board and start doing it myself. My next question is, looking at bow presses, I’ve been reading a lot of good things about Last Chance Archery E Z Press. Any thoughts about this press or do you recommend a better solution? Thanks in advance!

You won’t regret it and like you said YouTube has lots of info to help out Lord knows it’s saved me a few times…. Good luck