How to fix bad drawing form?

So, I've been shooting a compound since I was 11 (16 now), and I've always drawn my bow with my elbow down and across my chest but have heard it can cause future shoulder problems and it makes a lot more movement and energy to draw that way.

I really would like to learn how to draw correctly with elbow up and using whole body as a lever, but I can't even draw 40# that way, and I am shooting 55-60# elbow down.

Should I be able to draw my full poundage right away doing it elbow up, or is it something that muscle memory just needs to build up over time? Or if I should be able to draw it at my full poundage potential, I am probably just doing something wrong.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like you have more of a general strength issue than an archery issue - which you are young, no big deal. I’d focus on just getting stronger as opposed to messing with your archery technique. That could mean push ups, pull ups, lunges or it could mean a gym membership and starting a bodybuilding-type program. Start eating more, build muscle, the bow will get easier to draw.

MattB

WKR
My best advice would be to get an archery trainer device (or even use gym equipment) and just work at it to slowly build strength. How you have learned to draw is a crutch and will eventually become a problem either through injury or spooking game due to excessive movement.

You might even back the draw weight down on your bow as low as it will go and practice with that.

The right way to draw a bow involves aiming your bow in the general direction of the target and drawing straight back. The bow should not be shifting much if at all in the vertical or horizontal plane from brace to full draw. The motion should primarily involve the muscles in your upper back and should feel like you are trying to crush an egg between your shoulder blades.

OP
Bowhunter'07
My best advice would be to get an archery trainer device (or even use gym equipment) and just work at it to slowly build strength. How you have learned to draw is a crutch and will eventually become a problem either through injury or spooking game due to excessive movement.

You might even back the draw weight down on your bow as low as it will go and practice with that.

The right way to draw a bow involves aiming your bow in the general direction of the target and drawing straight back. The bow should not be shifting much if at all in the vertical or horizontal plane from brace to full draw. The motion should primarily involve the muscles in your upper back and should feel like you are trying to crush an egg between your shoulder blades.
Thanks, I think the egg analogy will help!

Marble

WKR
It's quite common to have this happen. People try it and quit because it's difficult at first. My suggestion, turn the weight down, do it right.

Doing it right sets your front shoulder into the correct position, helping you not collapse while aiming.

Perfect practice leads to perfect performance.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have always drawn with the bow up at the target then straight back, but after seeing a guy draw the way you described I tried that and I couldn't do it at all. That was all kinds of wonky. I think it's easier pulling straight back with my elbow up.

You should learn to use your back to draw the bow, not your arm and shoulder.

Best explanation is once you start the draw cycle with your elbow up (atleast above your shoulder) you pinch your shoulder blades together.

If you swing your arms, starting with them straight out from your shoulders, like full wing span, swing them infront of you, then back apart, pinch your shoulder blades together as you come back. Do that a few times, get the feel of the muscles that bring your scapula together. Those are the muscles you will use to draw the bow after you initially start the draw cycle. It takes a while to learn it, but that's where you will find the most strength in drawing a bow, and it leads to the form that will give you the best skeletal lock at full draw.

Like others have said, this is less a specific archery issue and more an issue to do with strength and a proper understanding of how to use your back. You're young and developing so with proper form, you will overcome this easy enough in a couple of years.

If you have the ability to go to a gym and do some basic strength compound movements, you will be better off. Not just for archery, but life in general.

Look up 'Starting Strength' and 'Mark Rippetoe' for a starting point.

OP
Bowhunter'07
I have always drawn with the bow up at the target then straight back, but after seeing a guy draw the way you described I tried that and I couldn't do it at all. That was all kinds of wonky. I think it's easier pulling straight back with my elbow up.
It definitely looks "all kinds of wonky"😂

What others have said. Also, look up Joel Turner and Tom Clum. Both stickbow shooters but everything they say will work for compounds as well. Joel’s son Bodie is a beast of a shooter! I don’t know your strength but when I was your age I shot 80# with fingers. That was back in the 50-55% let off days as well. I would not recommend doing that at all. Get your form down and then build strength and slowly increase your poundage.

DanimalW

WKR
I don’t draw with my elbow raised. Mostly straight back (maybe I’m doing it wrong). Most importantly for me is having my bow pointed at target when I start the draw, otherwise my bow shoulder has a tendency to move around on me.

Wapiti_87

FNG
Any kind of pulling or rowing exercise will help a lot, push-ups as well. Simple things go a long way helping me rebuild my shooting muscles in the spring and summer.

Luked

WKR
I draw mine in pretty much the same way. Elbow across my chest. Always have. When I was growing up never really had much for teaching around so i just taught myself. Not the best way to do it but its a hard habit to break thats for sure. I have tried but dont shoot enough to get the habit broke. It is something I need to do.

Beendare

WKR
If you put your fully extended bow arm out first…then pull with your string hand, this impinges on your shoulder joint. A correct draw is a push pull with your string hand shoulder square to your body.

As my PT explained to me; when that shoulder joint is angled forward and then any weight is added, it impinges on the rotator cuff area. same goes for any weight lifting….keep your shoulders square.

Its easy to diagnose; put your shoulder forward and lift your arms. Is there pain?

Now, back up to a wall with your shoulders against it, put you elbows and the back of your hands againt the wall and raise your arms. No pain Because that rotator joint is open, no impingement.

Now, best advice; go see a PT…no a guy like me playing one on the internet. Grin

I’m just relaying what helped me…oh, and they will give you bands exercises to strengthen all of the small muscle groups around your shoulder.👍🏼

LostArra

WKR
Like others have said, this is less a specific archery issue and more an issue to do with strength and a proper understanding of how to use your back. You're young and developing so with proper form, you will overcome this easy enough in a couple of years.

If you have the ability to go to a gym and do some basic strength compound movements, you will be better off. Not just for archery, but life in general.

Look up 'Starting Strength' and 'Mark Rippetoe' for a starting point.
^^^^^ Good advice. Just get stronger in general. For now I would reduce the weight of the bow until you can control it.

My nephew was drawing his bow exactly like you and could not figure out why he couldn't get a shot on a deer. Too much movement in the stand. This all started simply because his high school buddies were all yakking about shooting heavier draw weights. When his draw weight was less he was killing deer.