Is my draw length right ?

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
Hello pretty new to archery just one year in and I’m trying to get my draw lenght set up. I Have used several methods for measuring draw length and had a shop give a measurement. But it seems that the best way to know for sure is to see a picture of archer at draw. Hoping y’all can help me. Image one with the black bow is at a longer draw (30.5). Image two is about .75 - 1 inch less.
I personally feel I should go a touch longer to get my back elbow down, currently to get my back elbow down I need to bend the front arm a unnatural amount it.

2 same model bows in pics just set to different draw lengths

30.5 draw length setting
A2BF1C2A-6348-4881-89D6-7C137EE9D150.jpeg
29.75” draw setting
51CCC06D-E684-4C7E-A07A-895F3D978EFF.jpeg

dtrkyman

WKR
Hang a plumb bob from the v above the button on your shirt, get your feet directly below your shoulders and see where the plumb bob lines up. Top pic looks long but you need to work on grip and posture first!

You are leaning back slightly to get the anchor you like, your rear elbow is good.

You can also stand with your heel hip and torso against a flat surface(door Jamb) to force you to stand straight, keep in mind the module you have the bow set too is likely longer than stated by the manufacture, Bowtechs seem to be pretty accurate but a mod setting being half inch long is very common!

Marble

WKR
3/4 -1" difference is a lot.

OP. What's the height/wingspan measurements?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
30.5" is pretty long. Mine is but I am 6'2" with long torso/arms. I'd drop .5" off the second pic and see where you are.

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
3/4 -1" difference is a lot.

OP. What's the height/wingspan measurements?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I’m 6 ‘3”
If I put my fist 🤜 in the wall the corner of my mouth is 30.5. In ether case I have a hard time getting the sting to my nose.
If I take wingspan /2.5 I get 30.5/31 depending on my posture

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Yea looks like 29-29.5 would be about right. As others said posture first. Cause you are leaning back in the first pic the shorter draw in the 2nd pic seems to have helped some. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
I'd try a shorter release before anything, looks to me like your back muscles are fully engaged at full draw and you are over-extended with your elbow swung around past parallel to your arrow. I like an anchor where my thumb knuckle sits just under my jaw, and with a wrist strap the L between my index and thumb lock onto the back of my jaw. To me it looks as if you have a floating anchor with that release.

As far as getting the string to your nose, the first picture with the rubber tube on the string the tube is way too tight and pulling the string away from your nose. Sometimes we have to shoot a longer that ideal draw to get the string all the way back to your nose, a too-short ATA for draw length is one of those reasons. Long draws on short bows make for some steep angles and make it hard to touch your nose. I went from shooting a 33" ATA bow at 27.5" draw to 29" ATA bow at 28" and still had to install a nose button to get my string to touch my nose.
You also need to relax your bow arm hand and stop pushing the bow away with it, this will bring the string back closer to your face as well and give you better alignment and consistency.

SDHNTR

WKR
First pic is too long. Second pic is better, but could still lose a little bit. Tip of nose needs to be touching string.

AkRyan

WKR
How is it the longer draw length isn't touching your nose but the shorter is???? Better question! Have you shot both and if so what one works better?

ETtikka

WKR
Definitely shoot both, and see which one has better balance, I’m 5’9” and use a 30+” draw length , the length of your arms means more than your overall height

JjamesIII

WKR
Hello pretty new to archery just one year in and I’m trying to get my draw lenght set up. I Have used several methods for measuring draw length and had a shop give a measurement. But it seems that the best way to know for sure is to see a picture of archer at draw. Hoping y’all can help me. Image one with the black bow is at a longer draw (30.5). Image two is about .75 - 1 inch less.
I personally feel I should go a touch longer to get my back elbow down, currently to get my back elbow down I need to bend the front arm a unnatural amount it.

2 same model bows in pics just set to different draw lengths

30.5 draw length setting
View attachment 493824
29.75” draw setting
View attachment 493825
You look a bit long, I’ve seen a lot worse. Try losing 1/2”, despite some loss in speed, you’ll be much better off in the long run.

MattB

WKR
That is all wrong. Your draw forearm should be at minimum horizontal to your wrist or your elbow should be slightly higher relative to the wrist in order to properly engage your back muscles. Find some images on the internet of pro shooters and you will see that none of their draw elbows are below the wrist at full draw.

The 29.5" looks better, but I would try 29.25" and even 29" to see how it looks/feels.

Also relax your bow hand. Pointing your fingers like that is a surefire recipe for grabbing the bow at release. Try relaxing that hand with a similar feeling as when your arms are just relaxed and hanging at your side. I lightly touch the tip of my index finger and thumb to eliminate the subconscious desire to grab the bow which can influence the shot.

Last edited:

DanimalW

WKR
I won’t even to begin to evaluate your form. I’m no expert. Not by a long shot. But it’s pretty easy to adjust the draw length. I played around with 1/2” longer to and inch shorter, and came back to where I started. For me, the difference was notable when shooting. The pin floated around the least where I’m currently at. That’s good enough for me.

Also, i question that leaning back (slightly) is ALWAYS a draw length issue. I feel like you can still do that even after shortening your draw length. But I could be totally wrong here too.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Also, i question that leaning back (slightly) is ALWAYS a draw length issue. I feel like you can still do that even after shortening your draw length. But I could be totally wrong here too.
I can't remember which Pro shooter it is, but one of those world champions leans way back on every shot and it doesn't seem to hurt him any.

sndmn11

WKR
I think they are short, the top one is close...

If you were standing next to me at the range and asked my opinion, I'd tell you to push your front arm forward to straighten your elbow, and get the point of your shoulder rotated high and pulled back so you are engaging your back muscles.

I can't remember which Pro shooter it is, but one of those world champions leans way back on every shot and it doesn't seem to hurt him any.

Reo Wilde

Chris Perkins

Draw length is a personal thing, need to figure out what works for you. You can start with a bow you know should be short, keep adding longer loops to find the spot where it holds.

It's good to start with nice straight posture, where your shoulders sit in relation to your hips/feet isn't always an indication of draw length.

AkRyan

WKR
Form honestly doesn't matter unless you can't hit shit! If your standing on 1 foot but you can hit your target consistently than keep doing it. Be hard to tell a guy he is doing wrong if he has a wall full of trophies!

MattB

WKR
Form honestly doesn't matter unless you can't hit shit! If your standing on 1 foot but you can hit your target consistently than keep doing it. Be hard to tell a guy he is doing wrong if he has a wall full of trophies!
Even the successful can improve.