How to find a reputable outfitter and get a tag for that hunt?

OP
E
I wouldn’t trust a hunt at $5k each unless it came with a very trusted recommendation. I’d consider 2 options with that budget:

1. Both pay, one hunts, one goes along for the trip. More to the hunt than killing. Switch next time. You can get better hunts when you look above $7-8k pp.

2. Use that money to buy a landowner tag. It would be DIY, but it could get you private land access, or at least a decent unit.
I wish we could swap, but he won't ever go back, so this is likely out one and done. I actually told him I'd go if he just got a hunt, or if possible I'd get a cow tag so he could still go. I just wanna go hunting, and if he killed a good bull and I killed a cow I'd be tickled

Are there any people you know of who sell landowner tags? How does one find them?

Whip

WKR
For New Mexico the outfitter will buy the tags and use them for hunters he books.

I'm not that familiar with Montana but could you each just buy a point this year without applying and still keep the points you have now? Then you'd have 3 and your brother could buy one this year and another next when you do apply.

OP
E
For New Mexico the outfitter will buy the tags and use them for hunters he books.

I'm not that familiar with Montana but could you each just buy a point this year without applying and still keep the points you have now? Then you'd have 3 and your brother could buy one this year and another next when you do apply.
That might end up being what we do, but then I'd have to find a new possibility to hunt elk this year and hope and pray to God that Montana doesn't change its draw for next year

Whip

WKR
That might end up being what we do, but then I'd have to find a new possibility to hunt elk this year and hope and pray to God that Montana doesn't change its draw for next year
Apply in Montana yourself this year and your brother buys another point. Your points will be gone if you draw of course. Then next year your brother buys his 3rd point, you buy one for yourself plus another outfitter point. Applying together as a group you'll have a 2.5 average and a good chance to both draw.
I think. Don't base your decision on what I've suggested, but from the way I understand the Montana system that could work. Do your own research to confirm.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Montana has an outfitted preference point adder in place so an outfitted hunter will more then likely draw. It went in in 22. You buy a standard preference point, and can buy a second in the same year if you are outfitter sponsored. So, you get 2 points for that draw, not to exceed 3 points if you already have one or two.

Meaning, apply this year, or not, you would still be able to get 2 points if going outfitted in 2024.

Jeremy

WRO

WKR
Oregon has allot of options with either outfitter tags or landowner tags that will be in your budget.

I know a couple outfitters that I can vouch for if you’re interested.

I wouldn’t do a land owner tag in nm outfitted that was only 5k. Decent land owner tags are 5k.

WRO

WKR
RMEF has been a good resource for me although, I have not booked with any one outfitter as of yet, still researching. In their Outfitters Camp page, they list a bunch of outfitters by state.

My buddies did a hunt with one if their outfitters of the year, it was a disaster.

The best guides don’t advertise much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't considered NM because I've never been there and don't know as much about the draw system there. I know he doesn't want to go to Colorado otc on public land after some of his friends went and told him there was a person behind every tree.

NM would be a good place to start. Find an outfitter you'd like to hunt with. They'll provide you with their 4-digit outfitter code once you sign an agreement with them. Then they should guide you to what draws for each species you want to hunt. Do up to 3 draw options for NM, do not do a 4th. NM draws are paid upfront, and refunded if not drawn, the license is non-refundable. If you do 4 options, no refund has to be given, so do 3 options per species. An outfitter will only hunt specific areas, so they will help you pick the correct hunt codes for each species. Some will not hunt the entire state but are approved to do so. So, if you draw for example unit 45 and the outfitter doesn't hunt there, they can release you to an outfitter that does.

If you don't draw, you could talk to outfitters about landowner tags. These from what I am hearing are pretty expensive. Anywere from 5k-10k or more just for that tag. Then you add in the outfitter cost, etc.

OP
E
Oregon has allot of options with either outfitter tags or landowner tags that will be in your budget.

I know a couple outfitters that I can vouch for if you’re interested.

I wouldn’t do a land owner tag in nm outfitted that was only 5k. Decent land owner tags are 5k.
I would love any recommendations you have!

OP
E
NM would be a good place to start. Find an outfitter you'd like to hunt with. They'll provide you with their 4-digit outfitter code once you sign an agreement with them. Then they should guide you to what draws for each species you want to hunt. Do up to 3 draw options for NM, do not do a 4th. NM draws are paid upfront, and refunded if not drawn, the license is non-refundable. If you do 4 options, no refund has to be given, so do 3 options per species. An outfitter will only hunt specific areas, so they will help you pick the correct hunt codes for each species. Some will not hunt the entire state but are approved to do so. So, if you draw for example unit 45 and the outfitter doesn't hunt there, they can release you to an outfitter that does.

If you don't draw, you could talk to outfitters about landowner tags. These from what I am hearing are pretty expensive. Anywere from 5k-10k or more just for that tag. Then you add in the outfitter cost, etc.
I saw that in NM non residents only get 10% of tags with outfitters. Seems like long odds to me, but maybe its not so bad

Whip

WKR
Actually the outfitter pool is open to residents as well, but in reality non residents tend to hire outfitters far more often so end up with a majority of those tags. Odds aren't great, but many times better than the non-guided pool of tags where non residents only get 6%.

The other option is to pony up for a landowner tag. Although it is possible to buy one without a guide, outfitters lock up the majority of those and will have them available for clients with the money to not have to worry about draws.

Last edited:
OP
E
Actually three outfitter pool is open to residents as well, but in reality non residents tend to hire outfitters far more often so end up with a majority of those tags. Odds aren't great, but many times better than the non-guided pool of tags where non residents only get 6%.

The other option is to pony up for a landowner tag. Although it is possible to buy one without a guide, outfitters lock up the majority of those and will have them available for clients with the money to not have to worry about draws.
Sounds like new mexico might not be our best bet. I think he is really wanting to go outfitted. That makes me think Montana- anybody got experience on a guided or semi guided hunt in another state?

Exactly. Draw odds are what they are. If you want to draw, you have to enter. If you can afford a landowner tag, try the draw first. If unsuccessful, grab that landowner tag at that time.

jzm5028

FNG
I wouldn’t trust a hunt at $5k each unless it came with a very trusted recommendation. I’d consider 2 options with that budget:

1. Both pay, one hunts, one goes along for the trip. More to the hunt than killing. Switch next time. You can get better hunts when you look above $7-8k pp.

2. Use that money to buy a landowner tag. It would be DIY, but it could get you private land access, or at least a decent unit.
Hi! Completely unrelated to this thread, but I just made this account because I saw your post about the PTF V in the classifieds and for some reason you have to have an old account to even reply to classified ads. Is that still up for sale?