How to find a good Labrador breeder?

TSAMP

WKR
Good thread. I feel like finding a good breeder is a challenge, but a good lab breeder would be even more daunting. Due to sheer volume. Not that they arent capable animals.

Good luck OP

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Lone D and East Carolina were the two I mentioned and both Matt and Bob are good dudes.
Thanks again, Kurt! I’ve talked to so many people and breeders, that I lost track of who recommended certain folks. Those two stood out and made the Final Cut. You were 2 for 2 on those recommendations!

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
As an active field trialer running two all age dogs currently in both Canada and the states, Most of what that has been given has some truth to it. But the best advise is contacting the pro's and I know Bob from lone duck and he is solid trainer and has some good contacts. The other option is to check out the National Amateur Retriever championship happening now in Ronan Montana. These are the best Am handlers an dogs that country has right now, Most of these Am's own the dogs that they are running and will be able to answer your questions on the traits that their dogs have, some will have the fire breathers that others have mentioned, but the fact of the matter a lot of these dogs don't make it to the nationals, the dogs that do are biddable and calm most of the time, mine is on the couch next to me now but put him in the field and its game on. But the handlers that are listed will know what their dogs came from and if they have been bred what they throw. of Breeders there are two that are the gold standard in the breed the first is Mary Howley of Candlewood kennels in WI and Chris Wincek of Kerry brook in OH both have produced tremendous dogs that are first healthy but also appropriate to the person buying the lifelong commitment of a puppy.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
We ended up putting a deposit down with Peak Performace in NY. It was down to them and Lone Duck with Robert Owens. I talked extensively with both of them, and they both recommended the other as good people to talk to, which gave me great comfort. I was leaning towards Lone Duck, but he only had fox red labs and my wife and kids voted unanimously for the black lab from Peak, which is what we had before. In full transparency, if Bob had a litter with black pups, I would have gone with him. That’s not a knock on Renee…. Bob was incredibly knowledgeable and responsive, and you can tell he is really passionate about his craft. Thank you for all the recommendations. I’ll post pictures this winter when we get the pup.
@KurtR

KurtR

WKR
We ended up putting a deposit down with Peak Performace in NY. It was down to them and Lone Duck with Robert Owens. I talked extensively with both of them, and they both recommended the other as good people to talk to, which gave me great comfort. I was leaning towards Lone Duck, but he only had fox red labs and my wife and kids voted unanimously for the black lab from Peak, which is what we had before. In full transparency, if Bob had a litter with black pups, I would have gone with him. That’s not a knock on Renee…. Bob was incredibly knowledgeable and responsive, and you can tell he is really passionate about his craft. Thank you for all the recommendations. I’ll post pictures this winter when we get the pup.
@KurtR
Thats awesome to hear. Is it out of their sierra and junior litter. There are some really nice dogs in there. Looking forward to seeing puppy picks.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thats awesome to hear. Is it out of their sierra and junior litter. There are some really nice dogs in there. Looking forward to seeing puppy picks.
Either that litter or the Bolt/Journey litter. She said either litter would be good for us.

KurtR

WKR
Either that litter or the Bolt/Journey litter. She said either litter would be good for us.
He is a nice looking guy. If you are interested you can go here and see the pedigree going back for ever. Super chief is in there and so is Lean mac both some of the best ever. I like to see the old dogs i traced mine all the way back to 1913.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
@KurtR
Your kids have excellent taste in the color of labs.

IMG_2389.jpeg

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
I saw that picture and thought it was my house. All 3 of mine are Candlewood dogs. 2 direct and one indirect. All can pick up ducks with the best of them and still great family dogs. Good choice and best of luck with the new pup.

best way to not get a bad lab is to get a Chessie. Whole new level of loyalty

4658ef98c6868c62b7c1522a697d9881.jpg

415105004827b4f410a42d89bfbb9ab3.jpg

849090ed0c01b037eb264d8c034364e4.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crete

FNG
Just need to do better research it’s important that you also know the signs of a bad breeder. Buying a puppy from an irresponsible breeder could affect how healthy and happy your dog is for life, so it’s of vital importance to know the type of breeder you should avoid.