How to find a good Labrador breeder?

TheCougar

WKR
We are going to get a new pup - a black American Labrador, to be specific. I’m having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to identify a reputable breeder. The AKC has a bunch of breeders that are clearly amateur hour - out of date websites, nothing about field trials, etc. Many breeders specialize in show dogs and English Labs, of which I have no interest. Prices are all over the place, from $1500 to $6500. Most places do all the standard medical and hereditary certifications and test, meds, pedigrees, etc - so that’s not a good measuring stick.

I am looking for a breeder who uses field trial hunting dogs, as this will be a hunting dog and companion for my family. I am set on the American Lab…

What do you look for/ask about when talking to breeders to find a good one? I need to separate the wheat from the internet chaff and it’s tough. Is there a website or other resource, besides akc, that I could find good breeders? Any pointers or lessons learned from the guys with gun dogs out there?

Also, if anyone knows of a good breeder within 500 miles of the DC area, I’ll take specific names. Thank you

Chuckybmd

WKR
I think you’re on the right track. My yellow lab was sired by a very talented dog in field trials. The breeder was also her trainer so that was an added bonus. I could help you with a trainer in southern Idaho for sure but that’s outside your 500 mile corridor.

By the way, it was worth every penny. She is the most obedient, loving and eager to please dog I have ever had.

Think I spent about 1500 for the dog and 2000 for four months training.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I think you’re on the right track. My yellow lab was sired by a very talented dog in field trials. The breeder was also her trainer so that was an added bonus. I could help you with a trainer in southern Idaho for sure but that’s outside your 500 mile corridor.

By the way, it was worth every penny. She is the most obedient, loving and eager to please dog I have ever had.

Think I spent about 1500 for the dog and 2000 for four months training.
That’s awesome! I’d love to find something like that.

I’d start by going to a field trial and getting to know the community, find some dogs/temperaments you like and go from there. should be able to glean good insight and recommendations.

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
There is some good information on retriever training forums. You can also view the lab puppies classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
As Chucky said "you are on the right track"
Research, more research, more questions, then more questions. If there is a doubt then ask questions until the doubt goes away so you get exactly what you want/need.

My 2 sense is ensure you can get to know the mother and father if at all possible. Hands on both of observing them will help a ton.

Good luck. I'm envious. My job schedule prevents me from investing in a great dog.

TX_Diver

WKR
Look up local ukc hunt clubs and start asking them. Go attend some hunt tests and watch guys run dogs too if needed

Things to look for:
Biddability (AFC titles, MH titles)
Durability: clean eyes, hips, heart, elbows, knees(uncommon screen)
Minimal inbreeding: huntinglabpedigree.com
Human interaction: dogs that live in the house, not just a kennel. Really important if you want a house dog.

It might be good to go watch a hunt test, there are many in va/pa/de to see different dogs run, there are real differences in appearance and demeanor

I got my dog in 2015 from morning sun retreivers, they're in your area. When I was doing hunt tests Kevin's dogs were universally liked. My dog did tear his acl last year (7.5 years) , but I believe that was a follow on injury from when he took a stick deep through the paw on that same leg in 2020, requiring multiple surgeries to clean out the debris.

He's a dream in the pheasant field and in the house, my next dog will be from the morning sun for sure.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
When do you want the pup? My dad told me the other day he’s getting some requests for one of his dogs to sire. He got his FC earlier this year.

One thing to note - you may not be able to get a pup from a “top tier” breeding unless you agree to get it trained and run it in trials. Field trials are a whole different ball game, my dad is gone every weekend running a trial.

Edit: added the pic

IMG_2098.jpeg

cfdjay

WKR
I am friends with many veterinarians. Some of the best advice I got was from them. Ask the breeder for their veterinarian info and call them as a reference. If they're legit, they'll have no problem doing that and the vet should vouge for the health of litters and the breeder's rep.

That being said I got mine from Ridge View Labs in Chardon Ohio.

cfdjay

WKR
e995fb27a0fc160fb119fdb689f1b659.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
When do you want the pup? My dad told me the other day he’s getting some requests for one of his dogs to sire. He got his FC earlier this year.

One thing to note - you may not be able to get a pup from a “top tier” breeding unless you agree to get it trained and run it in trials. Field trials are a whole different ball game, my dad is gone every weekend running a trial.

Edit: added the pic

View attachment 566675
I don’t necessarily need a top tier breeder… just a solid reputable one who has a passion for their dogs. I’m looking for late fall or early winter, only because it’s supposed to be the family Christmas gift.

Wheels

WKR
Not sure if you do Facebook but there are a few groups on there that you may want to join. Lots of good litters to choose from.

Here are a few.

Hunt Test/Field Trial Retrievers
Hunting, Hunt Test & Field Trial Retrievers
Field Trial/Hunt Test/Sporting Dog & Puppies

We had similar experiences looking for a good lab breeder and just so happened to stumble upon who I think is a good one. Getting info from a primary source is good vs looking at websites. We picked up a second pup from the same breeder a couple months back and their website is outdated and getting a response isn’t immediate.

Once meeting the breeder and understanding who they were and that their main focus is breeding very good dogs we got over some of the front facing impressions that made us hesitant at first. Getting references from previous owners is very important along with the certifications and pedigree info.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Not sure if you do Facebook but there are a few groups on there that you may want to join. Lots of good litters to choose from.

Here are a few.

Hunt Test/Field Trial Retrievers
Hunting, Hunt Test & Field Trial Retrievers
Field Trial/Hunt Test/Sporting Dog & Puppies
Unfortunately (or fortunately), I’m not on instagram or Facebook or anything else besides Rokslide

KurtR

WKR
Fc/Afc are the pinnacle of the retriever games but how many people have stood beside one of those dogs? I would say the average person would have a tough time handling one of those dogs with out a pros help or prior knowledge of dealing with a high drive retriever. Most of the guys would have a hand full with a hrch/master dog. My next dog i want some fire breather in them but Im glad I ended up with the dog i have now to learn on. He is pretty damn mild mannered and we still are on a razors edge if we were going to break this weakend at the master test. He has his quirks that has taught me alot of about dogs. You have to honest with your self are you going to train every night are you running tests/trials and how many days a year do you hunt. If you want a family dog that hunts a few times a year make sure you get a dog that will fit that program.

You can hand the keys of a race car to a person but if they dont know how to drive they will crash and those high power dogs are some top fuel dragsters.