How old is this bull?

KsRancher

WKR
My dad got his first elk this year during Colorado 4th rifle. We have no experience with elk and wondering how old he is. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image0000 (1).jpg
    image0000 (1).jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 477

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
He looks like good bases /diameter but not that old bull face. How worn down were the teeth? Rack would say 5.5 but bases say maybe 7.5. Congrats on a good bull🤙

I would put him in the 3-5 range. I usually check the teeth and the height the horns are above skull. My bigger bulls have flattened ivories and the antlers are about 2" above the skull. They 8-10 year old bulls . The horn bases are fist size.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
When it gets back from getting a euro done on it I will take and post a picture of the teeth.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would guess 5-7 without seeing the teeth. The bases get closer and closer to the skull each year (pedicles get shorter and shorter). His left pedicle looks taller, but his right looks shorter.....I'm sure it's the pic and/or angle. Good CO bull though. (y)

Last edited:
That’s a great bull and I’ve been curious about aging bulls too. The bull I killed in the Bob was ancient according to the outfitter. He was missing a few teeth towards the front and lost a couple while we skinned and broke him down. His ivories were down to the nub.

Attachments

• IMG_5448.jpeg
    IMG_5448.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 59

link

FNG
Here's the ivories out of a WY bull I shot this year. They were worn flat at the gum line. Left the lower jaw, so I'll never know for sure to but I'm guessing he's got some age.

Attachments

• PXL_20231023_225623755.jpg
    PXL_20231023_225623755.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 53
My dad got his first elk this year during Colorado 4th rifle. We have no experience with elk and wondering how old he is. What do you guys think?
I'm going to say 4 or 5 he's not super old but he's started to mature well. I will tell you definitively that he's as old as he's going to get. Nicely done congrats on a good bull.

I have a question on aging animals, too. I always thought they were called calves until they was a year old. And yearlings until they turned 2, and 2 year-olds until 3, and so on.... But I see guys guessing them as 5 and-a-half, 7 and-a-half, and such. Are these the same guys that, when you ask them how old their kids are, don't just say oh, little johnny is 8 and becky is 6, but have to elaborate and embellish by saying little johnny is 8 years, 5 months and 2 days?..... Where did this 'half year' stuff originate? Sure wasn't from rural dwellers......

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Calving/when the elk is born is late May/early June. He was then shot in October or November. If he was 5 yrs old in May and then shot in November add those months to make him 5.5🤣👍 If you have other Elk questions let me know👍