How old for first knife?

Mikedr

WKR
I’ll be getting my 8 year old his first knife this year but I was curious how old you were or how old your kids were when they got their first knife? I know it varies greatly depending on the individual, but just curious! I was 6 (maybe 7) and it was a very memorable gift.

Drenalin

WKR.
I volunteer to work with boys between the ages of 5 and 18, and the age they're ready for a knife caries wildly. I've seen 8 year-olds who were ready, and I've seen 15 year-olds I wouldn't trust to cut up their own food. My kids are 8 and 5; my 8 year-old uses a knife at the table, but I can't even begin to predict when my 5 year-old might be mature enough for that, let alone to have a knife of his own. They both have wooden pocket knifes while we're working on good habits. I can't remember being without a knife, so I guess I got one pretty young.

manitou1

WKR
Well, I got my first .22 at age seven. already had a few knives.
I was hunting alone by age nine and killed my first deer (alone) at age ten.
I was also archery hunting deer at age ten... alone.

It all depends on maturity and responsibility level.

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
Well, I got my first .22 at age seven. already had a few knives.
I was hunting alone by age nine and killed my first deer (alone) at age ten.
I was also archery hunting deer at age ten... alone.

It all depends on maturity and responsibility level.
Killing big game critters solo at 10 is impressive!

manitou1

WKR
Killing big game critters solo at 10 is impressive!
Didn't have much of a father in my life at the time, so I made do. Hunting was my everything. I did bring up my two little brothers hunting and trapping and we had some awesome times.

Like many youngsters, I wanted to go back in time and be a mountain man.

In addition to game I ate blackbirds, meadowlarks, cardinals, chickadees, woodpeckers... anything I could kill. As a youth I didn't know most were protected. 🥴

I think 8 is fine depending on the maturity of the little one. Some parents choose to provide it when on trips and take it back while at home. Just be sure he doesn't take it to school to show his friends lol. My youngest left his multitool in his backpack after a duck hunt and ran across it at lunch, turned it into his teacher so he wouldn't get in trouble and ended up suspended. I took off of work and we went fishing.

BigNate

WKR
I got my first knife about 5. But times are different, where you live, the people and situations all effect how a kid handles themselves.

My great grandmother gave me my first knife when I was 6. I went outside, cut myself pretty deep twice, still have the scars that I look at fondly sometimes. Probably wasn’t the best idea but wouldn’t change it.

I just gave my son his first knife at 6, but use is strictly supervised for now. I also gave him a trainer knife to practice with that’s worked out really well. He can keep and carry it, it folds, has a steel blade, everything the same as real just not sharp.

Supervision is key. My first fixed blade knife was Christmas present. After admiring it I slide it too quickly into the leather sheath making a long slice in the leather. Still have the knife and sheath.

First folding knife I quickly folded it onto my finger. I still have that finger scar.

ray12515

FNG
My grandma gave me my first knife at 5, a Swiss Army knife. I cut my finger pretty good, tried to hide it from my parents but they found the cut and took the knife. I was more disappointed to lose the knife than get the cut. Whatever age, get one that locks open, that’s how I cut my finger. Still have a scar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
My dad gave me my first hunting knife on my 15th birthday. I've carried it for 31 years now and honestly can't imagine going to the woods without it. It's a old US made Schrader old-timer with carbon steel that holds An excellent edge. An inexpensive knife that's one of my most cherished treasures.

mcr-85

WKR
My boys, 10 and 7, each have a few pocket knives, cheap multi tools and I built them each a fixed blade knife. Just a knife kit from Bookcliff Knives.

I gave my oldest a little pocket knife when he was almost 6 on our way to a little fishing trip. He stuck it in a log after cleaning a fish and forgot to grab it before we hiked out to our camp. When he remembered when we were at camp and we didn't have time to hike back in to get it.

I think those little fixed blades are their favorite, they always have them on their belts when we go to the hills. Or the little cheap Opinel knives that lock open/shut.

I can't remember any serious cuts on either of my boys. My second boy is always whittling something. He's had a knife for a couple years I think.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Mine were 6 when they got their first knife.. They have all cut themselves. Some lessons are best learned the hard way.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

AnthonyC

FNG
I’ll be getting my 8 year old his first knife this year but I was curious how old you were or how old your kids were when they got their first knife? I know it varies greatly depending on the individual, but just curious! I was 6 (maybe 7) and it was a very memorable gift.
I was 8 years old and my dad gave me a bone-handled, Buck pocket knife for Christmas. A few hours later I was getting my finger stitched up in the ER. It was obviously a very memorable Christmas, but I’m 40 now and still consider it the most special Christmas gift I’ve ever received. I did the same for both of my son’s a couple years ago when they were 8 and so far they’ve avoided any accidents… I still cut myself on a regular basis though.

kpk

WKR
I was probably around 7 or 8 when my grandpa gave me one of those little swiss army knives. I'm now 40 and still have that one.

1721305011983.png