Idaho fires

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Forest service had unit 35 all closed out right before archery season while i was there scouting around from the Wapiti fire. Anyone been around that area lately? From Lowman to Stanley?

Could come back end of October for rifle but willl have to keep a close eye on things

Spoonbill

WKR
Forest service had unit 35 all closed out right before archery season while i was there scouting around from the Wapiti fire. Anyone been around that area lately? From Lowman to Stanley?

Could come back end of October for rifle but willl have to keep a close eye on things
Highway 21 is closed from Sourdough Lodge to Stanley. You can check the Boise National Forest website, but I checked a few days ago and most of the national forest was closed.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Highway 21 is closed from Sourdough Lodge to Stanley. You can check the Boise National Forest website, but I checked a few days ago and most of the national forest was closed.
Yup figured. It was closed couple weeks ago when i was there too. Thanks ya i am currently Googling any other info i can too

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
So looking at OnX and WFIGS, I get the impression that the Lava-Boulder fire is out after the rain? That's great news. Also, OnX shows no new hotspots on the perimeters of Nellie and Wapiti fires.

P Carter

WKR
So looking at OnX and WFIGS, I get the impression that the Lava-Boulder fire is out after the rain? That's great news. Also, OnX shows no new hotspots on the perimeters of Nellie and Wapiti fires.
I have no idea how accurate the information is, but from what I can see, that’s correct. None of the satellite services show hotspots, the aqi maps don’t show smoke.

It very well could be that there are hotspots and can/will flare up as the temps rise today, and I don’t think it’s wise to rely on the info we have to formally “make the call.” But, at a minimum, it seems like they’ve gone way, way down and may be at the mop-up stage.

ODB

WKR
I have no idea how accurate the information is, but from what I can see, that’s correct. None of the satellite services show hotspots, the aqi maps don’t show smoke.

It very well could be that there are hotspots and can/will flare up as the temps rise today, and I don’t think it’s wise to rely on the info we have to formally “make the call.” But, at a minimum, it seems like they’ve gone way, way down and may be at the mop-up stage.

AQI looks great. I’ve followed AQI throughout my travels and it’s been a pretty good representation of where/if things are popping off.

It’s funny, I’ve always been a cool/clear weather guy and my wife was concerned I’d be sad/depressed when we moved to Seattle a bunch of years ago. But I can tell you months of stultifying smoke in the valley and environs has affected me way more than persistent overcast/drizzle did.

IMG_5602.jpeg

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Sitrepot as of yesterday the Lava fire is not out. It's only 6% contained.
Don't know where you guys get most of your information.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Sitrepot as of yesterday the Lava fire is not out. It's only 6% contained.
Don't know where you guys get most of your information.
A day ago, OnX and WFIGS showed no Lava fire. Now, it's back again on both - OnX showing 16% containment. Must have been a glitch.

TheTone

WKR
Depends, I work for a land management agency. I've seen some places closed for 6+ months after containment.
Yep, really depends on the ranger district. I think an area near me technically still has some atv trails closed from a fire 3 years ago. The signage is terrible and the trails are heavily used.

Last Saturday 09/07 compared to this morning 09/14. Amazing what 2 plus inches of rain on a management fire does. Wish it would have gotten bigger to help the ungulates out with feed but take what you can get! I’m not for destructive fires but fires that clean up the landscape a little in areas that’s unfeasible/off limits to log is a good thing. IMG_5170.jpegIMG_5266.jpeg

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Great before and after pictures! Looks very encouraging. Rain could be moving through SW Idaho Sunday and Monday, according to the forecast I read.

Great before and after pictures! Looks very encouraging. Rain could be moving through SW Idaho Sunday and Monday, according to the forecast I read.
Yeah I’ve started to take before and after pics when doing projects. Gives a good perspective on things. Another 1-1.5 inches of rain for us predicted from the Missoula office by Thursday it sounds like. Definitely turning real moist quick after the bleak outlook they had on September.

Still lots of people on the fires down south even if you don’t think there are. Still a lot of work to do on them.