Votes: 7 13.7%
  • $749-1000

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Here’s a blank check, I’ll pay whatever to get rid of this filthy NR

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

Ucsdryder

WKR
Of course this is just for fun, but nonresidents use 2 arguments. 1. We hunt federal land so we should have the same opportunities. 2. We pay more so you residents are lucky we subsidize your hunting. This isn’t directed at any specific state but let’s do YOUR state came out with a new proposal. “No non-residents in resident only units, but residents have to make up the difference in revenue lost. All NR would be in OTC units.” Let’s say a resident unit is every unit except the top 10-% of trophy units. So it would look like…

Top 10% units draw only
40-90% top units resident onlu
0-30% NR Otc

So, how much would you be willing to pay for a RESIDENT tag knowing your opportunity would increase, the animal age class would increase, and the number of hunters would decrease dramatically.

I’m always curious what residents are actually willing to do to make up the difference. Of course this isn’t scientific, just more to get an idea for one’s appetite to part with his hard earned money.

Westhunt

FNG
Very interesting topic, I've had this conversation many times. And I'm torn on it as well. As a resident, one tag isn't terribly expensive, but when you buy your wife and kids a tag as well, the total price is pretty expensive. I also hunt out of state, where the NR price is 5x what I pay in my home state, so I can't afford to buy the entire family tags. If resident prices went up 2x I would stop hunting out of state.
The hard thing about NR is they are all Californian's ruining our state, a lot of them are kids or family that moved away and want to hunt their old stomping grounds.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
This is gonna be skewed - but if you could have it only be Res hunters who answer it - then it'll be interesting.

The R vs NR thing will ultimately hurt hunting. Especially cause so many guys play the tag game in all states and are often NR hunters in other states.

Just how it goes I guess. Once they get rid of the NR, who will be the next "problem"?

87TT

WKR
I don’t mind some NR. I kind of like the way it’s done here in Idaho. Limit to a certain % and no more. I like opportunity and the ability to hunt different areas or just stay near home. Cost is cost. If I decided to hunt another state, the tag price wouldn’t be my top concern.

Really all depends on how bad people want to hunt. The hard core hunters would find a way to pay it, when you increase the price though you price out the more casual hunter and let’s face it there’s more of them than us. That being said I think they need to up their resident tag prices here in Utah a little bit.

nobody

WKR
I don’t mind some NR. I kind of like the way it’s done here in Idaho. Limit to a certain % and no more. I like opportunity and the ability to hunt different areas or just stay near home.
I would be ok with this type of solution, just set a total number of tags and then say only a percentage is available to NR’s. Heck, even residents. I’ve never understood the “unlimited tag” mentality. It’s not like the herds or animal numbers are unlimited, so limit the total number of tags and then assign a percentage for NR and for residents. Then just fluctuate the total tag numbers year over year depending on herd health but keep the percentages the same.

TN2shot07

WKR
We’re all NR in 49 states, you should receive some advantage in your home state. I’d just like to see some kind of standards applied. Maybe a guaranteed 90/10 split then a fixed cost against the resident license, whether it’s 2x, 3x or 5x. NR already get a significant reduction in opportunity or will shortly. From the business perspective of the state it would make way more sense to even that budget out with the residents. There is always a tipping point with what people are willing to spend, it could bite some of those states if they see a drop in NR interest.

fatlander

WKR
States will ride the nonresident funding the operations horse until it drops dead. Then they’ll tighten up residents. It’s a whole lot easier to tax those without representation than those with a say.

Haven’t hit my limit for tags yet. But one day it will be cheaper to live in state long enough to meet the residency requirements and rent the place out when you’re not there than it will be to reliably hunt elk as a non resident. Hunting is well on its way to becoming a rich man’s sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll pay but I think it’s funny how non residents take so much ownership in Colorado. I hunt many states and never paid the same as a resident. Shoot, in Kansas I pay a non resident fee and have to pick units. I like seeing other hunter from different areas but I don’t want to see all the hunters. Colorado just can’t sustain all the pressure with growing residents numbers and non resident users.

Gen273

WKR
In my opinion...Federal land is owned just as much by non-residential individuals as residents. However, game laws and tags are issued by the state; thus, non-residents should and do pay more.

LostArra

WKR
I'm a non-resident for Colorado and OTC tags in general seem like a sketchy way to manage a prized big game animal like elk especially with no mandatory harvest reporting.

Colorado eliminated OTC tags for a unit I used to elk hunt (well, actually I just hiked many miles with my bow) but they give so many "limited" draw tags it did nothing to reduce numbers. The NR just have to plan ahead for the draw rather than walk in Walmart on their way to the woods. I just moved my elk hunting to a different state.

I have no beef with tag restrictions for non residents. Just play by their rules until the rules or the cost become intolerable. Anyone who hunts or fishes in Alaska should understand non-resident restrictions.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
For the record I’m in the $500 boat. I also buy tags for my wife and daughter so it could become cost prohibitive. The reality is that I’d pay a lot of money for a quality hunt. It blows my mind what non-residence will pay for over the counter hunts. By the time you pay for the tag plus transport, gear, food, etc, you’re in the thousands. All that so you can take your bow for a hike in the woods and possibly not see or hear anything but other hunters!