How much straightness can you add per inch of arrow cut off?

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have found a 6 pack of match grade shafts at older prices I might order along with some non-match grade ones. I could get real nerdy and bring them to work and measure them up on the surface table to see how close I can get to straight with the 0.003" ones.

MattB

WKR
My experience suggests that spine consistency is more important than straightness and I doubt most archers can tell a difference in straightness (.001” vs .003” vs. .006”) with field points.

Last edited:

S.Clancy

WKR
You are going to need to be REALLY dialed in form wise to notice any difference in straightness. Just cut a bit off each end and index your nocks and you will be fine.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Well I ordered a dozen of the 0.003 to see how straight I can get them. I figured I could save my remaining 0.001" arrows for hunting and broad heads but I might do a video comparing the two. Showing how straight the 0.001" really are just cutting off the front end vs how straight the 0.003" are spinning and cutting off the worst end.
I anticipate there may be some I have to cut a little off each end and I might see how just spinning and looking at them compares to actually measuring them with a dial indicator. Should be a fun experiment.

josef

FNG
Realistically they are getting these different straightnesses through different inspection processes and not different manufacturing processes. Aren’t you simply more likely to have a dozen straight arrows out of a match grade set rather then out of their non match counter parts?

It seems like you’re just paying to reduce the chances of needing to cull an “unstraight” arrow.

Realistically they are getting these different straightnesses through different inspection processes and not different manufacturing processes. Aren’t you simply more likely to have a dozen straight arrows out of a match grade set rather then out of their non match counter parts?

It seems like you’re just paying to reduce the chances of needing to cull an “unstraight” arrow.

They are sorted for straightness, then most are sorted by either spine or weight after that.

So in the upcharge you are generally also getting more consistent spine and weight, because both of those are somewhat tied together. A heavier arrow in a certain spine, will generally be a little stiffer than a lighter of the same spine batch.

jimh406

WKR
You still have archer's paradox, so the unstraight part might not ever contact anything to make a difference. I think the more important concern is how straight do they stay since almost no arrows will be unshot.

Straightness matters but how a particular arrow groups with your others is more important.

You still have archer's paradox, so the unstraight part might not ever contact anything to make a difference. I think the more important concern is how straight do they stay since almost no arrows will be unshot.

Straightness matters but how a particular arrow groups with your others is more important.

That's a trad bow thing.

The straightness doesn't effect how it rides down the rest, it's the arrow spining in flight and the wobble.

jimh406

WKR
That's a trad bow thing.

The straightness doesn't effect how it rides down the rest, it's the arrow spining in flight and the wobble.

Nope, you can easily see arrows bending with compound bows by just doing some basic searches. Or, you can read this if you feel like it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer's_paradox

I didn't say how it rides down the rest. Actually, said the opposite. I said the part of the arrow that isn't straight might not matter.

Again, what's important is where that arrow groups. There are multiple factors that impact the arrow, how the fletching is applied and the size and angle, how the nock is applied, and how the insert and/or point is applied.

Nope, you can easily see arrows bending with compound bows by just doing some basic searches. Or, you can read this if you feel like it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer's_paradox

I didn't say how it rides down the rest. Actually, said the opposite. I said the part of the arrow that isn't straight might not matter.

Again, what's important is where that arrow groups. There are multiple factors that impact the arrow, how the fletching is applied and the size and angle, how the nock is applied, and how the insert and/or point is applied.

I have a bunch of slow motion videos of arrows. If they are bending around the riser on a centershot compound, something is wrong.

Arrows flex at launch, that's not archers paradox. Archers paradox is bending the arrow around the riser.